Dish Network to offer SuperBowl in HD

Ok, ok, I really am trying to calm down.

Scott Greczkowski said:
dead3ye, while I believe what you said may be correct I am still trying to get an official statement on this as I know a lot of you want to plan SuperBowl parties. :)

I tell you Scott, the more I think about this, the madder I get - and honest, I have been trying to calm down:D . I know I've been posting on the edge of tantrums lately and probably getting a lot of you guys pissed off at me but I am trying to tone it down.

That said, can anyone explain to me any rational reason (if there is any) for why Dish (or ABC, since they both work out the contract) would not allow HD subs that are already qualified and receiving the NY analog ABC signal to NOT get the HD feed of that same station? This one is really boggling my mind.

Scott Greczkowski said:
dead3ye, while I believe what you said may be correct I am still trying to get an official statement on this as I know a lot of you want to plan SuperBowl parties. :)

Thanks Scott. I'm new to this board (at least posting) but not new to Dish Network. I know their CSR's can be clueless. At least the guy I talked to spoke clear English (might have actually been American).

An official statement would be great.

Unfortunately that is out of Dish's hands, I am sure Dish (and DirecTV) would love to give the game to ALL subscribers, but they can't because the way the laws are written.

I give them credit for getting it up for all the cities listed.

waltinvt said:
That said, can anyone explain to me any rational reason (if there is any) for why Dish (or ABC, since they both work out the contract) would not allow HD subs that are already qualified and receiving the NY analog ABC signal to NOT get the HD feed of that same station? This one is really boggling my mind.

I worked in corporate America for 25 years, unfortunately "rational" has nothing to do with it. ;) :D

I agree Walt, it makes no sense for them to deny qualified DNS subscribers access to the channel, but then I didn't expect to get it to begin with, and if I don't get it I'm not going to get upset about. Kudos to E* and ABC for making it available at all.

NightRyder

Scott Greczkowski said:
Unfortunately that is out of Dish's hands, I am sure Dish (and DirecTV) would love to give the game to ALL subscribers, but they can't because the way the laws are written.

I give them credit for getting it up for all the cities listed.

Alright, this is from the FCC:
http://ftp.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/shvera.html

On page 3, paragraph heading:

Distant Digital Signals
Subscribers who are “unserved” with respect
to analog service are eligible for distant digital
signals. Satellite companies are
[FONT=Arial,Bold]not [/FONT]required
to offer distant digital signals.

Page 2 clearly defines "unserved" and there are a lot that meet that criteria or they probably wouldn't be receiving the distant analog channel from Dish.

I'm not an expert on SHVERA but I don't think it's the "law" stopping "E" from providing this Superbowl HD feed to their qualifing subs. It may be they've made some concessions to certain afilliates they're trying to sign on for HD LiLs though.

Still, it makes no sense, if a sub is legally qualified AND already receiving the distant SD station to deny them the same station in HD.

I just spoke with Mark Lumpkin at Dish Network and the ONLY people who will see their HD feed of the SuperBowl are those in those 10 markets I posted earlier.

IF YOU HAVE DISTANT NETWORKS (EVEN IF IT IS THE NEW YORK OR LA MARKET) you WILL NOT see the SuperBowl in HD on Dish Network.

It is this way because of this special agreement Dish has with ABC. As I said earlier and Mark told me on the phone if they could carry it in more cities they would.

And there you have it.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I just spoke with Mark Lumpkin at Dish Network and the ONLY people who will see their HD feed of the SuperBowl are those in those 10 markets I posted earlier.

IF YOU HAVE DISTANT NETWORKS (EVEN IF IT IS THE NEW YORK OR LA MARKET) you WILL NOT see the SuperBowl in HD on Dish Network.

It is this way because of this special agreement Dish has with ABC. As I said earlier and Mark told me on the phone if they could carry it in more cities they would.

And there you have it.

Scott, Thanks for running this one to ground for us. Again, even by the wording, Dish is talking in terms of cities. They really tend to ignore rural America--even when we jump through all the legal hoops to get the appropriate waivers! Maybe this is because there are HD OTA and cable choices in cities?

If I am not careful, I am going to start sounding like Walt!!

It's not they are ignoring you guys, it's that the content suppliers are telling them what they can and can't do in these instances.

I don't blame E* for this one. I would call up ABC and start a massive email outpouring to see if you can get them to take care of the white area and waiver folks. If you are in a non O & O market I fear you are SOL as the local companies will have 1 minute of ads an hour they will want you to watch.......

BobMurdoch said:
It's not they are ignoring you guys, it's that the content suppliers are telling them what they can and can't do in these instances.

I don't blame E* for this one. I would call up ABC and start a massive email outpouring to see if you can get them to take care of the white area and waiver folks. If you are in a non O & O market I fear you are SOL as the local companies will have 1 minute of ads an hour they will want you to watch.......

But I won't be watching them! I will be watching either NY or LA ABC that I receive in SD--and have for many years. I have waivers that let me do that every single day--not just Superbowl Sunday.

BobMurdoch said:
If you are in a non O & O market I fear you are SOL as the local companies will have 1 minute of ads an hour they will want you to watch.......

Which I won't see because I'll be watching the NY SD feed, they seem to have somewhat less compression than my locals....Sigh...

NightRyder

Last edited:
If it were left to SHVERA, a lot less would be receiving this offering. How many do you think in these cities actually qualify for the SD distant feeds? I sure don't and I am on the fringe of the Philadelphia DMA. Thanks to ABC for the Blanket HD waivers in their O&O markets.

I dont try runing things for you guys, I just want you to have the most accurate information, as I dont want you and all your friends to be at your house on SuperBowl Sunday to go flipping on the TV to find a message on the screen that you are not authorized to view the game and all of you getting mad at me.

I think what Dish and ABC is doing is great, and I also understand why it has to be this way. Yelling at Dish, ABC or Me (Not that you guys are) will do no good it is basically out of all their hands for this years game.

For those of you who can get the HD feed consider yourself lucky. :) (And don't forget to cheer for Steelers.) :D

To help eliminate any confusion and bad feelings E* should put up these channels with a slide saying if you can read this slide you'll be able to watch the Superbowl starting a week before the big game. That way people will know for sure if they will or won't be able to receive the game. I can see it now, someone thinks they'll be able to get it, have a big party, turn on the channel and get the not authorized message at game time.

Last edited:
Scott Greczkowski said:

And there you have it.

That sucks, big ones. :mad:

Now the other question is, when are these channels going to come on and will they shut off immediately after the game?

:)

Kinda wish they had done this for the Rose Bowl.

Great! I live in Pittsburgh area and im stuck watching it in crappy SD. Hell i better off going to friends and watching it on SD from Adelphia. Sad that Adelphia SD is so much better than Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)