Dish Network to offer SuperBowl in HD

Let me know if I am just generalizing, but aren't all the markets that are getting the SuperBowl through this feed broadcasting HD OTA already? Do the people who live in these exclusive DMAs already have access to the SuperBowl in HD OTA?

Isn't this being redundant? Wouldn't it make more sense to give access to markets that don't have access to ABC HD like me and, I am guessing, a lot more people?

Our local ABC affiliate broadcasts OTA but has no HD content. Why, I don't know(they are too cheap probably). There are so many mountains around me that even if I put up a huge antenna(which isn't happening even if my wife WOULDN'T divorce me for doing so), I wouldn't be assured of getting the Pittsburgh ABC OTA feed.

Does WTAE out of Pittsburgh broadcast in HD? I think they do.

delanewf said:
Let me know if I am just generalizing, but aren't all the markets that are getting the SuperBowl through this feed broadcasting HD OTA already? Do the people who live in these exclusive DMAs already have access to the SuperBowl in HD OTA?

Isn't this being redundant? Wouldn't it make more sense to give access to markets that don't have access to ABC HD like me and, I am guessing, a lot more people?

Our local ABC affiliate broadcasts OTA but has no HD content. Why, I don't know(they are too cheap probably). There are so many mountains around me that even if I put up a huge antenna(which isn't happening even if my wife WOULDN'T divorce me for doing so), I wouldn't be assured of getting the Pittsburgh ABC OTA feed.

delanewf, yes WTAE is HD.

delanewf said:

There are plenty of people out there (like me) that live in these DMA's that can't get HD OTA even with an excellent antenna like the CM4228 (like me) due to terrain and/or distance from towers. Many people on this board don't seem to get that...

I see lots of complaints about "why only these 10 markets". Its pretty damn simple. If ABC doesn't own your local ABC broadcast station, then you wont be able to see these special feeds. Your local broadcaster has the rights to your eyeballs. Yes it sucks. Who can you thank? The NAB and its power over congress crafting these rules. Your local broadcaster does NOT want you watching the same programming from a difference source.

For a rare occasion, I am saying, DO NOT BLAME DISH. In fact, Dish in the past has been pretty liberal on bending the local rules. In fact they were sued by the broadcasters way back when they first put up local SD channels and let everyone access them.

The only way you're gonna see these two channels is if you're in one of the 10 markets or "move" in the next few days :).

Well there are people like me that are in the L.A. Market.

I can (when the stars and the moon line up correctly) receive KABC OTA.

But 90% of the time I cannot tune it OTA due to my 811's inability to deal with multipath issues.

So its great news to me, to hear that the superbowl will be transmitted in HD over the satellite!

HokieEngineer said:
I see lots of complaints about "why only these 10 markets". Its pretty damn simple. If ABC doesn't own your local ABC broadcast station, then you wont be able to see these special feeds. Your local broadcaster has the rights to your eyeballs. Yes it sucks. Who can you thank? The NAB and its power over congress crafting these rules. Your local broadcaster does NOT want you watching the same programming from a difference source.

For a rare occasion, I am saying, DO NOT BLAME DISH. In fact, Dish in the past has been pretty liberal on bending the local rules. In fact they were sued by the broadcasters way back when they first put up local SD channels and let everyone access them.

The only way you're gonna see these two channels is if you're in one of the 10 markets or "move" in the next few days :).

I believe a lot of the emotions flying on this issue can be blamed on the lack of communication skills of the people posting - probably me included.

For instance you're shouting "DO NOT BLAME DISH" but you've preceded it with less than accurate information. The local doesn't "own you eyeballs" if they've given you a waiver. They don't "own your eyeballs" if you're grandfathered to receive the distant feed. They don't "own your eyeballs" if you live in a geographical area they've already granted a blanket waiver too.

These are all legal reasons why "D" & "E" are allowed to and in fact do already provide analog DNS to thousands of their customers. It's also why "D" is allowed to provide HD DNS to thousands of it's subs.

The HD Super bowl feed is not an issue for "D" because they already provide the ABC HD DNS to their "qualified" subs. It's an issue for "E" because as yet, they've only provided CBS HD (and I know it's governed by a private contract that I think basically circumvents SHVERA anyway but that's neither here nor there).

The point is, I see no legal reason why Dish couldn't provide the ABC HD feed to their customers that they already provide the analog feed of the same station to - assuming that analog feed is legal for that individual. SHVERA is clear on this. See:

http://ftp.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/shvera.html

The only other thing that could block Dish is if ABC put a stipulation in the the contract. But why would they do that if we're only talking about providing an HD feed to subs THAT ALREADY GET the analog feed of the SAME station.

It makes no sense (that I can see) for ABC to do that. Wouldn't they want viewers who get that station anyway to get the better picture quality of HD ?

What does make sense is that maybe Dish doesn't want the added expense of providing this feed outside of those 10 cities. If that's the case, then fine, say that but don't say how you'd love to but can't because of something else.

I may be wrong on this. It may indeed be that ABC insisted that even customers already legally receiving the distant analog feed not get the HD feed of the same station but it makes no sense from the standpoint of either the network or the affiliate.

The affiliate has already lost that viewer and I'm sure if you're already watching that distant network anyway, neither they nor the network would have any objection to you getting the best possible picture quality.

HokieEngineer said:

See, that's where you're dead wrong, at least in my case and everbody else who is currently getting the distants or has the waivers. I already see a feed from an ABC owned broadcast station (LA).

HokieEngineer said:

Wrong again. I can blame Dish or ABC or the NFL. I really don't think the NFL has anything to do with it since ABC already has the rights to broadcast it nationally and black out rules don't apply for the SB. So that leaves Dish or ABC. I think it's both, probably more ABC. It's not the NAB or any other governing body that's telling me I can't get.

HokieEngineer said:

Unfortunately I do agree with you here. :(

Does anyone have an email address for either ABC itself or WABC? It seems that the "Contact Us" form on the ABC site just generates an email that more or less says they're not going to read your message so you just wasted your time writing it. Also, WABC's page that contains their email contact info seems to be missing (generates a 404 error).

waltinvt said:
I believe a lot of the emotions flying on this issue can be blamed on the lack of communication skills of the people posting - probably me included.

For instance you're shouting "DO NOT BLAME DISH" but you've preceded it with less than accurate information. The local doesn't "own you eyeballs" if they've given you a waiver. They don't "own your eyeballs" if you're grandfathered to receive the distant feed. They don't "own your eyeballs" if you live in a geographical area they've already granted a blanket waiver too.

These are all legal reasons why "D" & "E" are allowed to and in fact do already provide analog DNS to thousands of their customers. It's also why "D" is allowed to provide HD DNS to thousands of it's subs.

The HD Super bowl feed is not an issue for "D" because they already provide the ABC HD DNS to their "qualified" subs. It's an issue for "E" because as yet, they've only provided CBS HD (and I know it's governed by a private contract that I think basically circumvents SHVERA anyway but that's neither here nor there).

The point is, I see no legal reason why Dish couldn't provide the ABC HD feed to their customers that they already provide the analog feed of the same station to - assuming that analog feed is legal for that individual. SHVERA is clear on this. See:

http://ftp.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/shvera.html

The only other thing that could block Dish is if ABC put a stipulation in the the contract. But why would they do that if we're only talking about providing an HD feed to subs THAT ALREADY GET the analog feed of the SAME station.

It makes no sense (that I can see) for ABC to do that. Wouldn't they want viewers who get that station anyway to get the better picture quality of HD ?

What does make sense is that maybe Dish doesn't want the added expense of providing this feed outside of those 10 cities. If that's the case, then fine, say that but don't say how you'd love to but can't because of something else.

I may be wrong on this. It may indeed be that ABC insisted that even customers already legally receiving the distant analog feed not get the HD feed of the same station but it makes no sense from the standpoint of either the network or the affiliate.

The affiliate has already lost that viewer and I'm sure if you're already watching that distant network anyway, neither they nor the network would have any objection to you getting the best possible picture quality.

Very well put! Its really funny that one out of two sat company's can do this?HD dist-ants that is. Well its not its really sad actually. To all of you that are saying stop crying and its just TV. Can you at least tell us rural pieces of crap which is better E* HD cable or OTA or D* At least rub the slat in deep. I really would like to know. Also to us country pieces of crap shut up at least we have TV. we could just have radio's!

This whole issue exemplifies why this group will never have any real power as a group. So many of it's members are so quick to break ranks when they're not the ones getting hurt. Even worse is they tend to come out against those that happen to be the latest victim of Dish's mismanagement.

Whether it's who can receive what programing and who can't or who gets what receiver deal and who doesn't or who is really bothered by the HDLite issue vs those that don't care as much - it's all the same: many of those on the "lucky" side of the fence tend to be very unsupportive of those that happen to be getting screwed.

The bottom line is we never have much solidarity and therefore little power to change anything.

Dish's greatest tool against us is they can divide us. And even when they don't, we do it to ourselves.

We are consumers. We pay good $$ for entertainment products and we ALL have a right to expect fair and reasonable service and value in return.

delanewf said:

WTAE pittsburgh, SD channel 4 , DT channel 5.1 , it is not o&o it is a hearst/argyle station

waltinvt said:

Yeah, it makes sense. The software and system resources to perform that operation could be quite extensive and time consuming.

I have not seen any official info from EchoStar stating their reasons for not doing this or for doing what they have announced and I do not expect them to provide such info.

I likely will get the feed. I also receive WPVI-DT ABC Philadelphia OTA and I have DIRECTV SD and HD DNS. I could buy an AT9 dish and H20 receiver and have WPVI-DT via DIRECTV.

Be careful you don't incite a riot of sorts.

Scott Greczkowski said:
DISH Network Offers Super Bowl XL in Stunning HD

DISH Network will show a national ABC HD broadcast for one day only in a total of 10 cities across the country where ABC owns and operates a local broadcast station, including Chicago (Ch. 250); Flint, Mich. (Ch. 240); Fresno, Calif. (Ch. 250); Houston (Ch. 250); Los Angeles (Ch. 250); New York (Ch. 240); Philadelphia (Ch. 240); Raleigh-Durham, N.C. (Ch. 240); San Francisco (Ch. 250) and Toledo, Ohio (Ch. 240).
Hey Scott if we happened to get a mpeg 4 receiver in time for the super bowl and have distant networks will we get the HD feed?

Last edited:
Below is the dialog I've had so far with the NY ABC station. Their reply to my original message makes no sense unless they misread it.

My original message to ABC in NY:
Since I legally qualify and receive your analog feed out of New York from Dish Network, could you please explain why they tell me I can not receive the special HD feed Dish Network is providing of the same station ?

Dish Network is telling their customers "It is this way because of this special agreement Dish has with ABC" and "if Dish could carry it in more cities they would."

Sincerely and thanks for
reading,
Walt Mather

To: waltinvt

Sent: Friday, January 27, 2006 9:52 PM
Subject: RE: General_Comments

To comply with FCC rules, we had to make changes to what is known as the PSIP data that is broadcast with our DTV signal. This change may havecaused some receivers / set top boxes to no longer recognize our signal.

The problem can normally be resolved by having the receiver "rescan" all channels. The receiver should then recognize our DTV signal again.

My reply back:
Thank you for responding but please re-read my original email.

The problem is that Dish Network is saying they are NOT ALLOWED to send me your HD signal because of some agreement they have with ABC for this special HD Superbowl feed.

Due to the geographical terrain where I live in Vermont, I qualify under SHVERA and have been receiving your analog signal from Dish for years but they say they can't give me the digital (HD) signal of the SAME station.

This makes no sense to me, since I can not receive any other ABC where I live and in fact am allowed by law to receive your analog channel, why could I not be allowed the digital signal of your channel also ?

Thanks again,
Walt Mather

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts