Dish Network to offer SuperBowl in HD

I might be wrong on this but I believe in order to provide HD-LIL both E* and D* have to go back to each station in your area and get permission again to provide you with that station's HD signal. This is also the case with National HD-LIL and each of us getting a waiver from our local stations so that we may receive the National HD signal from E* or D*. Has it been shown that the SD waivers will work for HD?

Secondly, and more important, ABC cannot override its affiliates with programming from E* or D*. Since local affiliates do own their 'territory' they have control over what is shown by the National Feeds in their area. Several times in the past few years in differant parts of the country the local affiliate refused to show the National Feed.

I state this because this issue with ABC showing the Superbowl in cities where they own the station is a simple contract where trying to beam in a National Feed over a local affiliate who has control over their market is a very difficult one. Since ABC only 'owns the territory' over the stations that they actually own outright they can only do a contract for those cities.

Blaming E* or ABC is a waste of time. If you really want action, you must immediately pursue your local affiliate. You must ask that the local affiliate contact E* and ABC and allow the National HD feed into their area. You must also explain to them how they are going to share in the advertising revenue when their signal is not the one you are watching. And what does that mean for local advertising leading upto and after the Superbowl? When you have those answers in hand and a whole lot of folks in your viewing area up in arms and blasting away at the local affiliate then you may be able to get that HD signal beamed into your home.

Living in Olympia, I get the ABC local out of Seattle (SD) and the L.A. distant (SD)...so, this means I can watch in HD - yes or no?

I don't get why they just didn't include Seattle and Pittsburgh in the list of cities. I mean, how obvious is it that viewers in both cities would be most interested?

long_time_DNC said:
Living in Olympia, I get the ABC local out of Seattle (SD) and the L.A. distant (SD)...so, this means I can watch in HD - yes or no?

I don't get why they just didn't include Seattle and Pittsburgh in the list of cities. I mean, how obvious is it that viewers in both cities would be most interested?

I don't think so DNC, Scott verified with Dish that only subs in the 10 cities listed are going to get the HD Feed. Doesn't matter if you have the SD feed via waver.

I live 65 miles from Pittsburgh, can't get nothing OTA. I get WABC from NY via waver, but no HD SB for me. It stinks but I'll live. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Superbowl Dissapointment

I find it really upsetting that the Superbowl will not be broadcast in my area. Pittsburgh gets it, but Seattle does not. You would think they would give the Seattle area coverage of the game, since this it's the home of the Seahawks!!protest !

long_time_DNC said:
While I'd like to see it in HD, as you said, BrianMis, I too will live.

I could bitch about it, but what's the point? At least I can still enjoy watching the game...

And that my friend is what it is all about. :D

Boy, I almost feel bad because I can get it in HD via OTA and may not bother to watch it.

Technically, there should be tens of millions of people who should be able to pick it up in HD via OTA. CPanther's list on AVSforum shows that there are now 129 ABC stations broadcasting in HD, and that 98 million households lie within those stations' coverage areas.

As someone else mentioned, the overwhelming majority of those who will be able to get the SuperBowl in HD from Dish, should already be able to get it OTA. This offering doesn't really enable that many more sets to get the SB in HD.

Tom Bombadil said:
<snip>.....As someone else mentioned, the overwhelming majority of those who will be able to get the SuperBowl in HD from Dish, should already be able to get it OTA. This offering doesn't really enable that many more sets to get the SB in HD.

I was one of those "someones".

Similar to the "smoke & mirrors" deal last year with the NBC-HD Olympic feed, the number of viewers that got the Dish HD feed that could not have seen it without the Dish feed was minor compared to the number of their subs that had NO option to see it in HD from any venue. But it created a big PR illusion for Dish and that's what they were most concerned with.

Actually I am supprised that ABC/Disney own so few of their stations.
Does anyone know how this compares to the other networks?

Living in the San Fran/San Jose Bay Area...We will get the game via E* but most people already get ABCHD either OTA or on C*...So I will have 3 sources of the game in HD...now how fair is that...especially to the people in Seattle! :-(

Paradox-SJ said:
Actually I am supprised that ABC/Disney own so few of their stations.
Does anyone know how this compares to the other networks?

Living in the San Fran/San Jose Bay Area...We will get the game via E* but most people already get ABCHD either OTA or on C*...So I will have 3 sources of the game in HD...now how fair is that...especially to the people in Seattle! :-(

It would be great if someone in the media could pick this up and make a nationial story out of it before Sunday.

It's been said many times that HDTV is what will actually move the transition to digital tv and events like the Superbowl serve as one of the biggest catalysts driving people into HD.

Now how many of those millions of people sitting on the HD fence would have their decision affected by finding out that after all they invest, they still may not get to see events like the Superbowl, Olympics, Daytona 500, March Maddness, PGA Golf, World Series, etc. in HD?

Where's the press release??

I can't find this press release anywhere -- Not on BusinessWire, not on Echostar's website, not through my email alerts, not on Yahoo!. Did this really get announced? Help me find a public, over-the-wire release of this.
Thanks/

HD Superbowl in PGH

Dish just announced yesterday morning 2/1/06 , that they WILL be broadcasting the superbowl in HD in the Pittsburgh markets on channel 240. YAY!:p
Locals in HD are going to be national by the end of 2006, no launch date on national markets. However MPEG4 compression will not be entirely necessary until the local launch in your area. Existing customers looking to upgrade can do so for 49.99 unless they desire the Mpeg4 DVR, which will run 299.99 for leasing new customers and upgrades. I myself will be thrilled with the 211,

where did they announce this? RE: Pitssburgh? that station must've gave them permission if it's true

Thats correct Pittsburgh is NOT one of the 10 cities and I do not believe that it has been added.

I have a call in to find out. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Thats correct Pittsburgh is NOT one of the 10 cities and I do not believe that it has been added.

I have a call in to find out. :)

I know I read a post somewhere here this morning that had changed the number from 10 to 11.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts