Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH Network Offers Super Bowl XL in Stunning HD

DISH Network Offers the Nation’s Largest HDTV Lineup

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Jan. 26, 2006 — EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) and its DISH Network™ satellite TV service announced today it will offer its customers a special, one-day satellite transmission of a national ABC high definition broadcast, providing Super Bowl XL to eligible DISH Network HD-enabled customers in 10 cities across the country where ABC owns and operates a local broadcast station.

Super Bowl XL, pitting the Pittsburgh Steelers against the Seattle Seahawks, will be played at Ford Field in Detroit on Feb. 5, 2006, at 6:30 p.m. EST and will be available to eligible HD customers with DISH Network HD-enabled set-top boxes in the 10 cities on DISH Network channel 240 or 250, depending on location. New eligible HD customers must be activated for DISH Network service prior to Saturday, Feb. 4, at 8 p.m. EST to receive this special broadcast.

DISH Network will show a national ABC HD broadcast for one day only in a total of 10 cities across the country where ABC owns and operates a local broadcast station, including Chicago (Ch. 250); Flint, Mich. (Ch. 240); Fresno, Calif. (Ch. 250); Houston (Ch. 250); Los Angeles (Ch. 250); New York (Ch. 240); Philadelphia (Ch. 240); Raleigh-Durham, N.C. (Ch. 240); San Francisco (Ch. 250) and Toledo, Ohio (Ch. 240).

DISH Network will broadcast the Super Bowl in HD as a kickoff for the launch of its new DishHD™ packages debuting Feb. 1. DishHD offers 25 national HD channels plus local broadcast channels where available, providing more than 200 hours of HD programming every day. Cable companies, with a national average of just 10 HD channels, cannot come close to the robust lineup of DishHD.

By offering the most HD channels in the pay-TV industry and with the introduction of a new line of advanced satellite receivers, DishHD gives its customers more than 1,700 hours a week of HD content from the nation’s top programmers.

DISH Network is expanding its HD channel lineup in 2006 by adding five new original VOOM HD channels — bringing the total to 15 — as well as other new HD networks including ESPN2 HD and Universal HD. In addition, DISH Network will launch high definition local channels through its satellite service in up to 50 markets in 2006, starting with Chicago, Los Angeles and New York in February, and reaching more than 50 percent of U.S. TV households with local HD channels. The remainder of the country’s local HD channels will be offered to DISH Network customers via an off-air antenna solution.

Consumers can call 1-800-333-DISH (3474) or visit www.DISHNetwork.com for more information about DishHD and DISH Network.

About EchoStar

EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) serves more than 12 million satellite TV customers through its DISH Network™, the fastest growing U.S. provider of advanced digital television services in the last five years. DISH Network offers hundreds of video and audio channels, Interactive TV, HDTV, sports and international programming, together with professional installation and 24-hour customer service. Visit EchoStar's DISH Network at www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

Media Contact:

Mark Cicero, 720-514-5351, press@echostar.com

What about Seattle and Pittsburgh?

Probably has something to do with who owns the ABC affiliates in these markets, but isn't it a bit conspicuous and neither Seattle nor Pittsburgh is on this list? I live in Seattle and fortunately can get KOMO (the ABC affiliate) OTA, so I'll be able to enjoy the SuperBowl in HD; would be nice if Dish could get those two cities going, too...

stone phillips420 said:
Flint mi what?
why no Minneapolis or other major cities?

ABC Mpls is owned by the Hubbards, not the network :)
heck, ALL ABC's licensed in MN are owned by Hubbard Broadcasting

MPEG2 and no additional cities will be announced.

I am working on now if those who have distants will get the ABC since they qualify for it. :)

FYI:

I'm not sure if this is true (boy I hope so, it was a Dish CSR I spoke to), but I was just told that I would be getting the Superbowl in HD out of LA because I'm a subscriber to the Dishnet wests package out of LA. I'm located in central PA and have had the west coast networks since I signed up in '96.

So from this, I would guess that it's safe to assume that if you already get either Dishnet east or west, you're gonna get the SB in HD.

dead3ye said:
FYI:

I'm not sure if this is true (boy I hope so, it was a Dish CSR I spoke to), but I was just told that I would be getting the Superbowl in HD out of LA because I'm a subscriber to the Dishnet wests package out of LA. I'm located in central PA and have had the west coast networks since I signed up in '96.

So from this, I would guess that it's safe to assume that if you already get either Dishnet east or west, you're gonna get the SB in HD.

Hope it is true, also. However, since a CSR told you it was going to happen...........:devil:

Wonder why Chicago is on the same channel as the west coast cities vs. the east coast? What slots are these feeds going to be sent out on?

I was wondering the same thing myself.

Still trying to get clarification if folks who get ABC via Distant Networks or a Waiver will get the SuperBowl feed?