Dish Network vip622 MDU with Q-Box

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lespera4

Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Michigan
I live in a community serviced by a Dish MDU provider. Due to reasons I still don't understand, they don't offer the vip622 or 722, only the 211. They are using Q-Boxes, thus limiting hardware options.

I was "lucky" enough to get their only vip622, so I have a solid HD-DVR. The trouble is it's acting up, and I've not found any good info online. Here's the issue:

The box will occasionally say it's "acquiring signal," the normal screen you get when sat signal is lost. If I press the "guide" button the picture immediately comes back on the small preview window, and then I can return to normal programming. This happens anywhere from once per week to once per 5 minutes (the latter being clearly unusable). Anytime I hit "guide" the signal screen dissapears. This leads me to believe it's a software issue. Is this a known issue? I'm on software version L616, and will presumably be upgraded to 617 shortly.

There are other issues with my 622, most notably I lost my HDMI output (which seems to be a common problem). So my other question is can any vip622 (with a new enough software update) run with a Q-Box, or is that a special version of the Dish software, or config that only a tech can make? If any 622/722 will work, I just may go buy my own, since my MDU provider apparently isn't interested in offering the standard HD-DVR (despite the fact they charge as much as any other provider).

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks for the info so far. Smith, P. is correct. It requires 2 Q-Boxes, one for each tuner. I have those now. You can also attach an OTA antenna to pick up the locals. I’ve had to do this since my provider still hasn’t pushed locals down to us, even though Dish has in our area. Needless to say I’m moving ASAP, since this is not exactly what I was promised when I moved in.

I’m guessing any 622/722 will work, but I guess the other thing that will need to happen is my provider will need to modify my account so Dish knows it’s my new box, right? I presume they will need to provide me with a new smartcard, right? Anyone have any experience with this part of the process? I presume it’s not a big deal, but if my provider drags their feet it could take some time.

Additional information on the issue, in case there is still a fix for my VIP622. The “Acquiring Satellite Signal” dialog will pop even when I’m watching content off the DVR, and like live TV it can be cleared by simply pressing the “guide” button and then “cancel” to return to DVR programming. Also within the last few days occasionally when it goes out it will go from the satellite signal dialog to the “Updating Programming Guide” dialog screen, and often just return to normal programming on its own. This is a change from before when it would always stay in the “Acquiring Satellite Signal” dialog screen until I hit the “guide” button. Is it possible just having my provider re-format the box and re-program will help, or is this generally a hardware issue? I presume if I was working directly with Dish they would have swapped the box by now.

Thanks again for any help!

This is a semi-known issue with ViP622 & 722 receivers Both in QBox and Dish Environments. It has nothing to do with your Q-Box and everything to do with your OTA Antenna. No one has been able to give an exact reason for why it happens (I've asked two dish engineers and gotten two different answers) but the gist of it is, if you have an OTA antenna hooked up, this happens in a very small number of homes. Without the OTA hooked up (and the OTA memory cleared), it never happens (at least not in any situation I have heard of). There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason, but some boxes are effected by it, others are not. Some people have had problems with it for the last 5 boxes we've swapped out, other people are able to enjoy HD locals via an antenna without fail. Even boxes that work without fail in one person's house, may fail in a house where they have been having trouble. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the good news is that you can just hook your OTA antenna to the TV directly, delete all the local channels from the scan in, and see if it goes away. Downside is no more DVR on OTA locals.

That could be more complicated issue if there is problem with converted signal, need to check original signal from dishes, head-end equipment and all the way up to your DVR inputs.
As to account, sure the DVR must be listed there and had proper authorization ( seems to you're OK here if you can watch your programs), and the card correct, FW should be version L616 or L617 - press Menu twice and you'll see it.

Wow, thanks for the additional information! I will give that a run and see what happens. I don’t DVR much off OTA (it’s too unreliable for most of my channels), so this would greatly improve my situation with minimal negative impact. Also, I’ve read numerous posts about the OTA signal not being as strong via the Dish versus jacking directly into the TV, a scenario I also experienced. I can also start leaning on the provider to add locals in HD.

I have a VIP211 in another room that works perfectly, so I’m thinking that eliminates the dish signals and head-end, correct? I’d rather not have to deal with their tech support again if I can help it. Also, I'm on L616. Hoping I'll get 617 soon.

I will make this change the next time it acts up and report back. Thanks again for your help!

Last edited:
Smith, he said he even get's the lost signal message when watching DVR'd events The actual 1 of 5 acquiring signal, not the "Signal was lost during recording"). This is almost definitely a classic case of the VIP OTA bug, with a Q-Box thrown in for good measure.

Yes, there are 3 total Q-Boxes in my unit. I also get this error when watching OTA events, DVR'd or ortherwise. While I occasionally lose signal OTA, it will always come back on it's own. When it happens due to this issue, it won't come back until I hit "guide" and then return to programming. It's remarkabley consistent once it occurs, but occurs at irregular intervals.

I would wait for your update after removing all OTA channels. Who knows what exactly problem is.
My troubleshooting always include check signals BEFORE unit by using spectrum analyzer.

AF, do you know what each stage of five meaning ?
I'm not 100% but for 99% sure:
1 - get a lock
2 - get NIT (tnps info)
3 - get SDT ( chns info)
4 - get EIT ( EPG data)
5 - ? [card authorization stream]

An update, sorry for the delay. The advice to disconnect the OTA antenna and clear the OTA memory has worked perfectly. I've been using my DVR for nearly a month now with no issues. Prior to this fix, it was not uncommon for the problem to occur multiple times per day. Hopefully this is a software fix that will be addressed at some point!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)