DISH NETWORK vs. TURNER BROADCASTING

Dish Network is going to have to show itself next year without a price increase (or at least less than what DirecTv has) in order for people to see that it has done any good. If not then it will look like Dish is wanting to do so to put more money in their wallets.

Does anyone know if Turner is trying to get Dish to carry a new channel like Viacom did? This may be the only way we will get new channels in the future the way things are going with Dish.

I had cable locals for a while. I did notice that whenever my dish fuzzed out for rain fade, lo and behold, so did my cable channels.

bcshields said:
I had cable locals for a while. I did notice that whenever my dish fuzzed out for rain fade, lo and behold, so did my cable channels.

What does that have to do with E* dropping the Turner channels? :D

He was expanding on earlier comments about DISH downtime v. cable. Sometimes threads take an interesting turn.

Criswell predicts....(Can your hearts stand the shocking truth!)

Nothing will happen.

It will be business as usual with the Turner channels. There may be a little drama. But, the channels won't go anywhere, and neither will our rates...for now.

I also predict that Liz will re-marry Richard in the afterlife; Elvis is alive at Area 51; and GWB's torrid love affair with Condoleeza Rice will be exposed 2 weeks before the election.

It siw ell known that Elvis and Lucille Ball live together in a condominium in one of those cities on Mars. Liz Taylor is no doubt detined to spend eternity with Eddie Fisher. So the only one you got right is the one about Condoleeza Rice and Bush.

There is an item in today's SkyReport about this. There was no comment from either side in the dispute, which seems to be out of character for Charlie when there is a potential problem in contract negotiations. I agree with GaryPen here that nothing will happen just on that basis.

EchoStar warns it may drop CNN, other Turner channels

EchoStar, with 9 million subscribers nationwide, said its contract with Turner Broadcasting System expired Dec. 31. The companies agreed to an extension that has kept Turner programming on the DISH network, but EchoStar spokesman Steve Caulk on Monday refused to say when that extension expires.

“If and when the (extension) agreement expires, we would then have to drop the channels in question,” Caulk said. He said Turner was seeking “unreasonable rate increases.”

For the entire article click here

EchoStar blackout, part II?

If EchoStar doesn't strike a new agreement with Turner, it could be forced to pull channels again.

"We haven't been offered a reasonable deal," Charlie Ergen, EchoStar's chairman and chief executive officer, said Monday night during his monthly "Charlie Chat" session with viewers. "We will never compromise on this. I can assure you we want to get a deal done."

Two popular Turner channels, TNT and TBS, would not be affected by a blackout because they are part of another contract. But a blackout would affect CNN, Headline News, Cartoon Network, Boomerang and Turner Classic Movies.

EchoStar and Turner officials would not say when the contract extension expires.

"We are in negotiations with EchoStar and remain hopeful that EchoStar will continue to make Turner's industry-leading networks available to its Dish Network customers," Turner spokeswoman Shirley Powell said.

But don't put it past EchoStar and Ergen to suffer through channel blackouts again in order to stand up to rapidly rising programming rates from Turner, Viacom and other companies.

"Ergen's obviously prepared to take a strong stand, and whether he ends up taking off the network is hard to say," said Thomas Eagan, an analyst with Oppenheimer & Co. in New York.

By playing hardball with Viacom and now with Turner, EchoStar is making a statement to programmers as a whole, analysts said. With 9.4 million subscribers, EchoStar is the nation's fourth-largest pay-TV provider and wants the clout associated with that position.

The outcome with Turner may indicate whether Ergen's strategy is working.

"Part of the purpose of going toe-to-toe with Viacom was to soften up other providers," said Bill Jacobs, who follows cable and satellite companies for Harris & Associates in Chicago. "Part of it was to show that Charlie is crazy like a fox."

DISH NETWORK vs. TURNER BROADCASTING
Apr 13, 2004

Reposted from: http://www.kpvi.com/index.cfm?page=nbcheadlines.cfm&ID=18001

Some satellite dish owners may be shut out from watching their favorite cartoons, newschannels, or even some Atlanta baseball games.

The Dish Network, run by Echostar Communications, has 9-million subscribers nationwide. It may drop programming from Turner Broadcasting. The channels in question are CNN, Headline News, Cartoon Network, and TBS, which shows movies and Atlanta Braves baseball games.

An Echostar spokesman says that Turner Broadcasting is seeking "unreasonable rate increases". A Turner spokeswoman says negotiations are underway and that they hope an agreement can be reached soon.

In March, Echostar pulled all Viacom channels, including MTV, VH1, and Nickelodeon, in a similar dispute. The two sides quickly reached a deal.

Dish's Deja-Feud: EchoStar Vs. Turner

Although Turner and EchoStar were not at the negotiation table Tuesday, according to sources, they are still on talking terms. Neither side will disclose the actual expiration date of the current extension, but sources say it runs for at least another two weeks, if not longer.

EchoStar Chooses Industry Leading MTM400 for its Ease-of-Use and Ability To

EchoStar Communications Corp. and Turner Broadcasting have until the end of the month to reach a new contract agreement, analysts said this week.
"We haven't really been offered a reasonable deal," EchoStar chief executive Charlie Ergen told Dish customers during a broadcast Monday night. "We certainly hope we can get a deal with Turner. They've been a partner to us for a long, long time."
Industry observers say Turner, a division of New York-based Time Warner, is in a weaker position than New York-based Viacom, making it less likely to enter a showdown with EchoStar.
"It appears unlikely that Turner would force EchoStar to drop the channels given that EchoStar will continue to carry other channels that include virtually the same content and CNN ratings have struggled in the recent past," Jayant wrote in a note to clients Monday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)