Dish Networks HD is True HD?

Yes, Dish has transmitted at and above that bitrate. From August, see this link. And other snapshot postings have shown more high bit rates. It varies.

I did the similar switch from satellite to cable for just short of two years. My promo was 50% for the 1st year, 25% for the 2nd year. When that 2nd year was coming close to an end, I called to see what my new rate would be, see what changes I could make, etc, etc. Needless to say, my options were limited ... and I'm back with Dish. TWC offers very little HD programming, including no local NBC. Price was also a large factor in leaving them.

What will your rate with them be after 12 months ??
I imagine the rates will return to after the 12 month promotion. However, by that time FiOS TV will be into full swing in our area and their rates are 15-25% less expensive than cable, or E* for that matter. Hopefully the cable rates will be more competitive as well. Plus, I'll still have my ViP622s ready to be placed back into service if needed. My wife and I are both working and back in grad school so watching TV is pretty low on our list of priorities these days. We may even go the OTA only route. We'll miss using that 622, but we're just not getting much use out of DishHD these days, and the price and quality are two big factors.

Full HDTV bandwidth, according to the ATSC, is 19.25Mbps. I believed your initial 15.x readings, but 25 and 30 ?? No way...

The reading doesn.t make the picture better it is just that cable is capable of pushing more bandwidth than satellite providers.Satellite peaks at around 20 and digital cable is capable of around 40

You don't know what you're talking about. For your own reputation, stop now.

Here's a clue for you: The networks are NOT transmitting their programming to their affiliate stations at 25Mb/s or 30Mb/s.

Please cite references for your "Satellite peaks at around 20 and digital cable is capable of around 40" claim.

The reading doesn.t make the picture better it is just that cable is capable of pushing more bandwidth than satellite providers.Satellite peaks at around 20 and digital cable is capable of around 40

E* also has the ability to run an HD channel at 40mbps. That's one 8PSK TP's bandwidth give or take a few mbps. The cable co also has about 40 mbps of bandwidth on one QAM256 carrier.

Also Discovery HD isn't even uplinked to the cable co's at 30 mbps, so the numbers you are seeing a wwwwaaayyyy off.

As Hall said, the max under ATSC is about 19.2. Granted, cable uses a different transport mechanism, but they are not going to be able to increase above that number.

And the old "cable has more bandwidth" bit was based on comparing max capacity cable to limitations on Ku band frequencies as used by satellite companies. Now that satcos added Ka and made other changes, it's a lot more complicated.

Its not like they are swimming in bandwidth. Comcast does not want to put more then 2 HD channels per QAM to keep the resolution and bandwidth better then what DBS offers. A standard 550mhz system can have 69 QAM's max. Without upgrading everyone to 750mhz or getting rid of analog completely they are pretty much just as stuck as Dish in most markets. They have just chosen quality over quantity. I remember reading they tried 3 HD channels per QAM and were not happy. I also read the new (Q1 2007 release rumored) Panasonic 250gb dvr that is supposed to replace the Motorola 36xx and 64xx in some Comcast markets supports H.264/Mpeg4.

If my memory is correct:
QAM = 8mhz = 1 analog channel = 12 digital cable = 2 HD

Its not like they are swimming in bandwidth. Comcast does not want to put more then 2 HD channels per QAM to keep the resolution and bandwidth better then what DBS offers. A standard 550mhz system can have 69 QAM's max. Without upgrading everyone to 750mhz or getting rid of analog completely they are pretty much just as stuck as Dish in most markets. They have just chosen quality over quantity. I remember reading they tried 3 HD channels per QAM and were not happy. I also read the new (Q1 2007 release rumored) Panasonic 250gb dvr that is supposed to replace the Motorola 36xx and 64xx in some Comcast markets supports H.264/Mpeg4.

If my memory is correct:
QAM = 8mhz = 1 analog channel = 12 digital cable = 2 HD

I think it is 6mhz, but don't quote me. Your formula is pretty close, if the provider does it right they can mix say 2 HD's and 2-3 SD's and no one will notice, and sometimes more depending on the rate of the HD feed.

MPEG4 can have the same quality as MPEG2 at half the bitrate IF the encoders are doing a good job. The MPEG4 multipass offline encoders are not too bad but the current real-time encoders have a long way to go. As the encoders are improved, the picture should get better unless Dish cuts the bitrates as the better encoders are installed.

Fitting time for this thread to re-appear. I saw something that resembled "True HD" on Dish just today for the first time in years! :D

Of course, the channel displaying it was labeled RIO4K, but it reminded me of what HD used to look like before HD-lite and overcompression moved in to stay. ;)

This thread ended in 2006. Is Dish still HD LITE

How long did it take you to dig up a thread that is 10 years old. I think that we forget how great the new flat screen tvs are. We have gotten used to such a great picture even when in SD that we take it for granted. 4k is better, but even compressed 1080i is great. Come on guys, just enjoy such great quality and quit your bitchen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts