Dish Network's "Pay as you go" question (s)

No Doubt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Snohomish, Wa
Hello to the group, longtime member that has been away from the forum for awhile. Back in 2011, I had a pay as you go account with DN for a few month's and was happy with what I got for the amount I paid. The receiver died & I went back to OTA & DVD's. The dish is still mounted, I think it is a Dish 500.
I am now going to start a new Pay As You Go account and talk to a CS tonight.
I will find a used receiver on Craigslist (and verify it is in good standing with DN before buying)
I have a couple of questions please.
1. Customer Service says I have to start my account with the Smart Pack & I can immediately go the the Welcome Pack (19.99) which has the locals networks & a few others we want, such as History, CMT, HGTV, Food. Is this correct, I can go to the Welcome Pack, if I start with the Smart Pack? I will add the Outdoor Sports Package ($4.00) with includes the Outdoor Channel, World Fishing Network, Sportsman Channel & Mav TV.
2. We have 2 TV's, what would be a decent receiver that has 2 tuners & a DVR?
3. Is there a charge for the DVR portion?.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Bill

Hello to the group, longtime member that has been away from the forum for awhile. Back in 2011, I had a pay as you go account with DN for a few month's and was happy with what I got for the amount I paid. The receiver died & I went back to OTA & DVD's. The dish is still mounted, I think it is a Dish 500.
I am now going to start a new Pay As You Go account and talk to a CS tonight.
I will find a used receiver on Craigslist (and verify it is in good standing with DN before buying)
I have a couple of questions please.
1. Customer Service says I have to start my account with the Smart Pack & I can immediately go the the Welcome Pack (19.99) which has the locals networks & a few others we want, such as History, CMT, HGTV, Food. Is this correct, I can go to the Welcome Pack, if I start with the Smart Pack? I will add the Outdoor Sports Package ($4.00) with includes the Outdoor Channel, World Fishing Network, Sportsman Channel & Mav TV.
2. We have 2 TV's, what would be a decent receiver that has 2 tuners & a DVR?
3. Is there a charge for the DVR portion?.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Bill
Answer to 1) is yes. Answer to 2) is VIP722 or 625(SD only). Answer to 3) $7/month for vip722k down, $10 for 922, $12 for Hopper.

Reactions: No Doubt
Are your TV's HDTV's, if so, and you want HD, you will have to either add a wing dish for 129 and use a switch, or get a Dish 1000 and aim it for 110, 119, 129. Then you would want a 622, 722, or Hopper for a DVR.
For the Dish 500 you have now, you could just get a 625 and it would have everything you want, just in SD.

Thanks for the input, both TV's are HD. SD would be fine to start & I can always upgrade to a Dish 1000 this summer. I found a 722 on CL for $70.00 locally, will call on it today. Off to work, have a great day!

Will the 722 work with a Dish 500, what I mean to say, is, will it be searching for the feeds from 129, or can you just run a check switch and let it go with 110 and 119?

Will the 722 work with a Dish 500, what I mean to say, is, will it be searching for the feeds from 129, or can you just run a check switch and let it go with 110 and 119?

No need for 129.

Just do a check switch and you're good to go. :)

Just wondered, I had never tried one of the ViP series receivers with just a Dish 500. Didn't want him to get the 722 and run into trouble.

1. If you are buying a DISH receiver be sure it has no balance due on it or you won't be able to activate it till you pay that balance. I would be extremely cautious buying it from craigslist. You can get the serial number before buying it and DISH will tell you if there is a balance.
2. SInce you will have the Welcome package the only channels in HD will be the locals. (And any freeviews) Therefore you don't need 129 and you will get those locals in HD without doing anything else. So whatever receiver you end up with I would think you would want it to be HD. The cost will be zero more. And if only one receiver on your account the only fee will be the DVR fee. ($7)

To verify the teceiver, just shoot any Dirt member a PM with the Receiver and Smart card numbers... They'll run it for you real quick.

2. SInce you will have the Welcome package the only channels in HD will be the locals. (And any freeviews) Therefore you don't need 129 and you will get those locals in HD without doing anything else. So whatever receiver you end up with I would think you would want it to be HD. The cost will be zero more. And if only one receiver on your account the only fee will be the DVR fee. ($7)
His market (Seattle) has some locals on 129 for HD. Most are on 110
http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?search=dnall&sub=true&market=Seattle, WA

Reactions: No Doubt and Tampa8
Update: I found a used Dishnetwork 625 DVR on CL & verified it is in good standing with Dish Network. Seller included 2 remotes & a triplexer.. This will be getting setup with my Dish 500. Is anyone here in/near Snohomish County? I am looking for help setting this up if possible.

Is anyone available for a chat for some input regaring hooking up my 625? I I have a dish 500 with 2 LNB outputs (110 & 119) I have hook 1 LNB to Sat 1 on back of receiver & the second to sat 2 on back of receiver. Do I need to utilize some sort of multiplexer?

Is anyone available for a chat for some input regaring hooking up my 625? I I have a dish 500 with 2 LNB outputs (110 & 119) I have hook 1 LNB to Sat 1 on back of receiver & the second to sat 2 on back of receiver. Do I need to utilize some sort of multiplexer?
What is your overall goal? Do you want two tvs connected or one? What happens with the coax connected to the sat in 1&2??

2 tv's is my goal, just trying to get the dish seeing 110 & 119 properly to start. I seems to see about 25 % strength as I rotate the dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)