Dish networks Wild Blue High speed internet questions

classic cartoon fan

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
Preble County, Ohio
I currently have dish network and I have been looking for some type of higher speed internet. All we can get is crappy dial-up. Is dish network's Wild Blue worth looking into or not?
What are all the fees and monthly fees with this? Is it very reliable or does it cut out a lot of the time? If I do get it, should I buy or lease?
Sorry for all the questions here, I would appreicate it if someone could help me out on this option.
Travis

I asked about it before going to dsl since Comcast was railing me on HSI.

I think Wildblue is one of the better ones(per a guy on here who commented that he installedit), but with all Sat HSI the latency is an issue.

We used to have Direcway and every time it rained we lost internet which really sucked.

Id see about moving this or post in the Internet forum, might get better answers.

Thanks for moving it. I thought I could ask this question on the dish form.

I am stuck with dial-up only, Ive checked for dsl and no one will provide it to us.

The funny thing I'm hearing is that there is Time Warner (I think) on the east and west sides of us about a mile or two each way, but they don't run it on our road. I already check with Time warner. Maybe its because we live on a road that splits two countys. Its stupid I know. And it would cost thousands to have the cable ran to the house.

Starband, Hughesnet and Wild Blue should all be better options than dial up at 28Kbps.

The only better option in your case is if you have line of sight to one of those locations about a mile away with Time Warner. If that location is OK with you putting a cable modem there you could do a wireless bridge to your location with some directional high gain antennas. Cost you about $400 to $500 in routers, cable, antennas and mounts plus the monthly.

Sat net is for all intents an purposes an effective choice for high speed internet when the location does not allow for it such as those off grid and in area's where typical cable, dsl and even dialup is not an option. Installation time varies depending on the structure being installed on as well as issues related to line of site obstructions just as with DBS. Buying versus leasing is the same as anything else with there being contracts from 1 - 2 years.

If your into online gaming or want to with games such as world of warcraft, everquest or any other massive multiplayer then this is not the route for you as you will be experiencing a 5 second or greater latency delay that will get your character(s) killed more often than not. The latency can also cause problems with online banking and other such sites that require a constant live connection.

Speeds are dependant on weather but also on how crowded the transponders get on the satellite, when I was pilot testing Starband in 00 - 01 the speeds went down as the satellite filled up per what the techs explained, there were rumours that the goverment got involved after forcing changes after signals were reported to be messing with communications on military bases when a system was installed nearby.

Speeds can go up pretty high, it just depends on what you want to pay really so check out the website to see what they have, you might want to look into wireless internet. One of the members of this site whom I cant remember his name at the moment was installing this service even out in the boon docks in Colorado I believe, Defergie might know who Im talking about.

His names SimpleSimon if Im correct, havent seen him in over a year.

Last edited:
Starband, Hughesnet and Wild Blue should all be better options than dial up at 28Kbps.

The only better option in your case is if you have line of sight to one of those locations about a mile away with Time Warner. If that location is OK with you putting a cable modem there you could do a wireless bridge to your location with some directional high gain antennas. Cost you about $400 to $500 in routers, cable, antennas and mounts plus the monthly.
Ive seen some creative work done with wifi antenna's and 18 inch DBS dishes, one of the best was a test done last year or late 05 with this set up that worked over either a 12 or 20 mile range with strong readings, it shouldnt be to hard to google it as it was done within the last 18 - 20 months out west.

Theres a guy who has been selling a setup similiar to this on craigslist to.

Yea it was SimpleSimon, he's the one that I learned the remote receiver antennae relocation by using two splitters and diplexers, wonder where he's been at for the last year and half?

Gosh I don't remember who was installing in Colorado, but ke4est a staff member has it... Clearwire - Wireless Broadband Internet Service Provider: High Speed Wireless ISP the box here is what I have used for over 2 years, I live in the country... also see this thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/98958-directv-echostar-offer-wimax.html check around for wireless providers in your area...

Yeah I have WB and love it as far as my options go. I can not get cable or dsl here.

I'm a Dish Network and certified Wild Blue Installer

Go for Wild Blue bud if you have not done so already. Its more reliable then other SAT internet options. If you could get DSL or cable go that direction first. As long as you're a Dish Network customer the cost is $199.00 plus tax for install and leased equipment. If you go directly through WB it will cost you right at $250.00 (new pricing, was 300.)
three diffrent packs

silver = 128k up : 512k down ($50.00/mo)
gold = 200k up : 1000k down (1 meg) ($70.00/mo)
platinum = 256k up : 1500k down (1.5 meg) ($80.00/mo)

I was just told on recertifcation that the upload speeds on platinum were pushing a bit over 320k in last few weeks.

and those dont reflect taxes, and any other charges
(I'm not aware of them)

If you have dial up and can connect around the 56k mark the lowest pack is 10 times the speed of your dial up. If your connecting at 28k.. its 20 times!!!
Its not recommended to have this set up for a wireless sys, but I've isntalled routers behind the modem and it does just fine. But if you ask WB or Dish they will tell you no. If you have dish network the SAT for WB shoots in the same general direction (more to the 110* SAT) to give you an idea of where your facing for line of sight.

And a very nice looking dish too.

Let us know if you do get this service and how you like it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)