ckbrown

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Monroe LA.
Guys,

In reference to #post121028 with the thread heading of "fuzzy-picture"
started on: 08-22-2004, 10:50 PM.

My boss is having the strangest problem with his Direct TV system.
I wired his house when it was being built and used the standard barrel
connectors to make patch panels and wall plate connections. There
were no spliced wires using barrels, all unbroken RG-6 cable.
The system consists of (2) 625 recievers, one of which feeds the tv in
the living room, a Sony KDL-46W4150. The second feeds a smaller flat
screen in a adjoining bedroom. The second also feeds a larger analog
tv in the master bedroom. The master bedroom is backfed the video
signal by patch bay connection and controlled by the wireless remote.
A week ago the reciever in the second bedroom went out. Direct tv was
called and a service guy came out to see what was wrong. I was not there
to observe the following 5 days of work but I have been told that the
ftechnician ordered a new reciever and it did not work. The technician
then replaced the older superdish with the newer HD dish. It still did
not work. Then the technician ordered a second reciever and it did not
work. The technician then checked the coax connections and found a
burned barrel connector in the attic space where the sat. wires come
from the dish and are connected to the house wiring. At that time he
found them to be the older white barrel connectors. He replaced all of
the barrel connectors with the newer blue barrel connectors. This
corrected the problem with the second reciever.

However, a new problem showed up. prior to the repair of the house
wiring, the screen images were clear and undistorted. Now that the
above described modifactions and repairs were made the screen images are
not clear and are distorted. On both flatscreen tv the pictures are not
clear. There is a unfocused area around moving images like when a face
talks or when a horse walks the legs are hazy. There is also a "smeared"
halo around text displayed on the screen. Now both televisions have been
tested using DVD video from playbacks of movies and the images are clear
and sharp.

I did watch the technician adjust several settings in the 625 with little
,if any, improvement in the screen image.

UPDATE
This date I went to my boss's house and checked that all of the connectors
were at least fingertight on their fitting. I checked that all feed and
interconnect wires were tight on the back of the wallplates. Several
connections required more than a 1/2 turn to tighten them. I then checked
all of the interconnect wires and connectiontion in the attic spaces. All
of the wires looked to be in good condition. Serveral of the wire connectors
had to be blown out to remove misc. metallic debris. Several connections
required more than a 1/2 turn to tighten them. The state of the television
images were then rechecked. They had not improved, one had gotten slightly
worse.
RG6/U Not RG8/U
I then procured a new piece of RG8/u and 2 end connectors as well as a barrel
connector. I then disconnected the wire from the house to the main room dish
LNB. I connected the new wire to the LNB by the barrel connector. I then
connected the new wire to the 625 reciever in the main room. The state of
the television image in the main room was then rechecked. It had not improved at all. Next, I disconnected the wire from the house to the second room dish LNB. I connected the new wire to the LNB by the barrel connector. I then connected the new wire to the 625 reciever in the second room. The state of the television image in the second room was then rechecked. It had not improved at all. It had gotten even worse.

I reconnected all the orginal feed wires back to the 625 recievers that they
were connected to. I cleaned up the work site and stored the test wire at the
site.

Please advise us on any solution that you might have. I am thanking you in advance for your assistance.

ckbrown

Last edited:
you got me there... sounds like a huge mess. either somethig is grounding where it should be or a electrical problem perhaps within the walls?

ive had a place ive had a service call.. for a test run, i take a cable from my van and just run it off the dish, and run the cable straight to the reciever ( running through floors and just to check if its the cables)

thats the easiest way to check if its the cable.. and if you get same signal or results then you know its smething else.. but if the new cable you ran as a temp to test run checks good then you know you got a bad cable somewhere.

please tell me you didnt use splitters after the dish bc that would def screw it up.

never heard of a 625 receiver from Directv, and I am positive the superdish was from Dish. RG8 would be wrong for any 75 ohm system since it is 50 ohm cable. And finally... this has been going on since 2004 and your boss still hasn't gotten a tech out from the carrier that could fix it?

just wondering...

Regards, Eric

never heard of a 625 receiver from Directv, and I am positive the superdish was from Dish. RG8 would be wrong for any 75 ohm system since it is 50 ohm cable. And finally... this has been going on since 2004 and your boss still hasn't gotten a tech out from the carrier that could fix it?

just wondering...

Regards, Eric

agreed!

RG-6 would be the standard cable as of today and used to be RG-59.. but i have not yet seen a RG-8 on a sat install.

you got me there... sounds like a huge mess. either somethig is grounding where it should be or a electrical problem perhaps within the walls?

ive had a place ive had a service call.. for a test run, i take a cable from my van and just run it off the dish, and run the cable straight to the reciever ( running through floors and just to check if its the cables)

thats the easiest way to check if its the cable.. and if you get same signal or results then you know its smething else.. but if the new cable you ran as a temp to test run checks good then you know you got a bad cable somewhere.

please tell me you didnt use splitters after the dish bc that would def screw it up.

sddtvtech,

I did get a piece of wire and I am so very sorry for the mistake, it was RG6\U wire that I bought. I apologise for muddying the waters. I did run the wire from the satellite splitter attached to the main room reciever and connect the other end to the wire going up the mast to the LNB. Please recall that the dish had been freshly replaced and did have new wire on it. I did see that. I reguards the splitter, it has been in place since the reciever, I believe. However all of the older splitters and power inserters have been removed and replaced by barrel connectors in the attic space.

Again, you and Iceburg were correct I did make a mistake for the wire type and do apologise for the confusion.

Thanks in advance for all your assistance.

Plsted in the wrong forum, duh

just wondering...

Regards, Eric

Eric,

You are so very correct. The 625 is a Dishtv reciever. I am so fouled up. Would a moderator move the thread to the dish net. forum. Thanks so much and sorry for the noob error.
'
Also Eric. The problem surfaced about three business days ago. Up to a week ago the system worked fine. Then the second beadroom reciever started giving problems. It turned out the problem was a burned barrel connector for the second reciever. But it was not found before the reciever had been replaced twice, the dish replaced and then the wiring checked. You can read the whole story in the first post.

Oh, the orginal dish was a SuperDish.

I hope that this helps a little. Again thanks in advance for your assistance.

Last edited:
Eric,

You are so very correct. The 625 is a Dishtv reciever. I am so fouled up. Would a moderator move the thread to the dish net. forum. Thanks so much and sorry for the noob error.
'
Also Eric. The problem surfaced about three business days ago. Up to a week ago the system worked fine. Then the second beadroom reciever started giving problems. It turned out the problem was a burned barrel connector for the second reciever. But it was not found before the reciever had been replaced twice, the dish replaced and then the wiring checked. You can read the whole story in the first post.

Oh, the orginal dish was a SuperDish.

I hope that this helps a little. Again thanks in advance for your assistance.

glad you got it figured out what brand it is bc directv wont tolerate splitters from dish to recievers bc when you said that, directv recievers wont work at all with splilters before the recievers.

:up

Same theory of operation with Dish. Splitters are a no-no between the LNB and receiver. You can put them on TV2 output.
You're going to have to troubleshoot the system from the LNB back to the TV. I'd go direct to the LNB with my known to be good RG6 and then to the box, if problem persists, try a new LNB.
Have you played with the TV settings? the complaint sounds vaguely like what one would see looking at an SD signal on an HD TV.
If you add DHPP with Dish, they send out a tech for $29.95. Just don't sign off on the service call until its working. You can cancel DHPP at your leisure after the repairs.

GL, Eric

The burned connectors are due to water Getting in your connector and corroding due to the electricity running through the cable. The water is either getting into the cable due to moisture in the air in the attic, or you have a split or opening in the cable outside and water is wicking through the cable.

Same theory of operation with Dish. Splitters are a no-no between the LNB and receiver. You can put them on TV2 output.
You're going to have to troubleshoot the system from the LNB back to the TV. I'd go direct to the LNB with my known to be good RG6 and then to the box, if problem persists, try a new LNB.
Have you played with the TV settings? the complaint sounds vaguely like what one would see looking at an SD signal on an HD TV.
If you add DHPP with Dish, they send out a tech for $29.95. Just don't sign off on the service call until its working. You can cancel DHPP at your leisure after the repairs.

GL, Eric

Eric,

Thanks for your reply. It is good information and I will check these things out. For my information, can you expand on the following:
What would we change in the TV? Also, what should we see on the tv as we do have a SD signal being fed to a HD TV?

Thanks again

from the format of the user's post you can tell it was a cut and paste job

actually no, I wrote the post off line using notepad and then pasted the whole thing at one time. That still did not keep me from making mistakes but does gime the a stored copy to use again or to refer back to.

The burned connectors are due to water Getting in your connector and corroding due to the electricity running through the cable. The water is either getting into the cable due to moisture in the air in the attic, or you have a split or opening in the cable outside and water is wicking through the cable.

Claude

Thanks for the reply. It turns out that the barrel connectors that I had installed when the installation was done 12 years ago were of a cablevision varity, That is what we had to struggle with in the dark ages.:eek: It also turns out that the cablevision varity barrel connectors do not like having 18Volts DC or more pushed through them at a fair current.:( I did not know this nor was I the one to find the burned barrel and then replace all of the existing barrel barrel connectors with the new 3GHZ SAT. rated barrel connectors. I learned something that day.
Thanks

Hi guys

I am back from a work task that ate up a lot of time. I have a few questions and hope that you might spare a few answers.

Using the 625 reciever that we are, what satellites are we supposed to be using for Dish Network located in the 71292 zipcode area.

How do we change the satellites that the reciever is looking at in the reciever.

How can we verify that the signal strength from the correct satellites is good.

We just want to be sure that the installer did not make an error.

I have also been wondering if there are settings in the reciever or TV that could cause the pixelation effects that are on the screen. What would I look for? The TV is a Sony KDL-46W4150. What is your opinion for the set and what setting should I check in the TV?

Again, thanks in advance for all your able assistance.

Last edited:
Hi guys

I am back from a work task that ate up a lot of time. I have a few questions and hope that you might spare a few answers.

Using the 625 reciever that we are, what satellites are we supposed to be using for D* located in the 71292 zipcode area.

How do we change the satellites that the reciever is looking at in the reciever.

How can we verify that the signal strength from the correct satellites is good.

We just want to be sure that the installer did not make an error.

I have also been wondering if there are settings in the reciever or TV that could cause the pixelation effects that are on the screen. What would I look for? The TV is a Sony KDL-46W4150. What is your opinion for the set and what setting should I check in the TV?

Again, thanks in advance for all your able assistance.

uh u cant use a D* dish for a dish network reciever

Sounds like the problem lies in the SD feed into a HDTV. Signal strength will not effect quality of the picture unless its pixelating.

Sounds like he needs single tuner HD receivers where there is a screen above 40+ inches.

I mess up again?

uh u cant use a D* dish for a dish network reciever

Guys

Can you point me to a help page were I can learn the lingo. I used D* for dish network, I made a mistake again. What is the shortcut for dish network. N*?

Thanks for all the help.

Its E*

SD will always look like crap on an LCD TV. You can try to improve it with the TV settings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)