DISH not allow Self Installs anymore?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I had a bad installer experience. There was damage to my house. I would not let them come back ever again. If you are educated, do the job your self. You will get the best possible install. The way you want it. Damage free the right way!

I moved after that and set up at the new house.

Here are a couple of pics.

Congratulations!!!

You're a perfect example of why Dish doesn't want customers doing their own installs.

:up:up:up

P.S: I will give you props on one thing - at least you connected the power inverter to port 1 on the DPP 44 switch.

Congratulations!!!

You're a perfect example of why Dish doesn't want customers doing their own installs.

:up:up:up

P.S: I will give you props on one thing - at least you connected the power inverter to port 1 on the DPP 44 switch.
What would you say is wrong? You must be a Dish installer! Try not to take it personally and lash out at people pointlessly.

As I outlined in another post, I did a "partial" self-install. I ran cable provided by the local retailer from whom I purchased service. Did grounding and terminating (except at dish end).

Retailer asked if I wanted to physically mount the dish and they'd peak it - I declined. Would have liked to but just didn't have the time.

Installer did dish mount/peak, checked my grounding, installed receivers. Said it was the first broadband install he'd ever done.
Very nice guy - especially after he realized I knew what I was talking about :)

Mark

That's the way to do it in my opinion. Most retailers are willing to work with you how you want - heck, if you save them some work, they usually are pretty happy.

That thing is way more solid than anthing I could have built. IT is better than the Dish installer damaging the roof of my house!

You're going to be re-peaking your dish every few years. Trees may be solid, but they grow. They will gradually change in shape until your mast is no longer plumb and level, and the dish won't be pointed correctly any more.

In that case you should be doing a pole mount.

That's the way to do it in my opinion. Most retailers are willing to work with you how you want - heck, if you save them some work, they usually are pretty happy.

You're going to be re-peaking your dish every few years. Trees may be solid, but they grow. They will gradually change in shape until your mast is no longer plumb and level, and the dish won't be pointed correctly any more.

In that case you should be doing a pole mount.
I cut it down and sealed the top which is on an angle to stop rot. It is about 15feet tall. No more growing for sure. I get over 350 inches of snow here. I needed some thing tall and solid. It is also a pretty good distance from the house underground wire. I did not have much for options trying to get a signal in the middle of the forest.

Your kidding right?!

Just because it's a DISH installer does not mean you have any better chance of getting a good install. DNSC, Retailer, or Subcontractor any one of them can be good or bad. To tell you the truth Your best bet for a quality install is probably a contractor, they are under far more pressure to do quality work.

Sorry, all but one contractor ever did an install properly. Dish company, in every case, had to come and clean it up. One's chances are much better with an Dish company installer. Not one Dish company installer, in my experience has done a bad install. On the other hand, contractors have done every bad one, and even demanded more money paid to him immediately for use of his switches and diplexers. HE WAS A CROOK! On an upgrade, like Dishn' it up, Dish pays for everything for the one upgrade price, even if they have to install expensive external switches, or separators, etc. I haven't come across a single company installer who was a crook. Can't say that about the vast majority of contractors. Most contractor installers, not necessarily you or others on this board, in my experience are incompetent. Dish Network has far more motivation to get it right the first time as Charlie is Mister Frugal, and he knows his company depends upon good installs performed by competent installers.

Part of the problem maybe that here in Los Angeles, we have a lot of crooked people and installers. Especially when we see who owns the business, no surprise at to why they prefer to install a 3rd dish instead of a proper switch.

That's going to depend on your retailer then. I don't think a generalization can be made from one area in particular.

same old same old

You do have a point. If you get a contractor, the odds are it won't be as aesthetic an install as Dish company installers perform. Dish company installers have a variety of colored cables for aesthetics. They proper loop the cables and run them in the most aesthetic way possible. Dish co installers always install external switches in the most neat and secure a least visible place. Well, in other words, Dish company installers would meet your very high standards. but you may not get company installer nor a great contractor who installs to high standards.

So, to get things going and get out of the stuck position you are in, let them install it, and if you don't like the aesthetics, then go ahead and make it up to your standards. What's the difference if you do the entire install yourself, or just make a few changes to the "professional installation?" You're going to have to do the work, anyway. Play their little Dish game to get all the equipment you need for free or at a really big discount and let Dish install it. Then make it your own install. Problem solved.

Look if you run the cable before the installer gets there he is not going to re-run your lines.
I love engineers. They do the worst work I have have every seen when it comes to cable. And man do they do some dumb chit.

I am not saying you don't know what you are doing but you probably don't.

You sound like a kid that makes excuses.

In the the industry we have something we call CTM "call to meet."

And about the installer not doing the install how I would like him to do it.
Customers sometimes want wall fishes and other custom work for free.

either run the wires before the installer gets there or pony up the cash to get the custom work.
Good luck chuck

That's going to depend on your retailer then. I don't think a generalization can be made from one area in particular.

Well, I think I can because many retailers, not all, try to figure out a way to do the job that leaves them with more of the Dish fee leftover to do the job as opposed to Dish Company installers who have no such pressure. Often the contract installer is at the mercy of the guy who owns the business, so I can't say the installer is evil, but the owner may be.

One thing I have come across is that many contractors/retailers will do just about anything to avoid having to install an external switch. They have them, but they try to persuade you to let them install a 2nd or even 3rd Dish (as happened to my aunt.)

And my brother was hounded just last month by the retailer/contractor who did his Dish Mover install last month (which was a screw-up install to begin with) because he wanted to take back the DPP44 switch that was installed and offered to install a 2nd Dish in its place saying it would be "better" for him. When my brother said "No," the contractor called back a week later and said he would "give him, " a ViP622--my brother does not subscribe to HD services at all--in exchange for his 522 and install a different Dish (I believe the 1000), in exchange for taking back the DPP44 switch--my brother has 4 boxes active in his home. My brother knew that the 622 was an HD box and told the guy that he doesn't subscribe to HD, but the installer said that his SD channels would "look better." My brother thought something seemed funny about that and asked some questions--expecting to be charged the higher box lease fee for the 622 while not subscribing to any HD services--and the installer said that Dish had approved this exchange and he had the work order from Dish Network, itself. Well, my brother telephoned me as he was LOST about all this, and I determined the guy was a contractor (he didn't want to answer that question), but in the end he got really angry and stomped out of my brothers house.

After that episode my brother contacts Dish Network directly, and he asks them about this and Dish said they have NO work order, no "approval" for anything and absolutely no work pending for his account. In other words, Dish completely agreed that the contractor installer should not have contacted him repeatedly and should NEVER have tried to persuade my brother to accepts a 622--which she said Dish would have increased his monthly fee for that box nor done anything that he did and certainly had no business trying to get back a DPP44. In fact, all 3 people he spoke to up the ladder apologized profusely and the last person he spoke with at Dish, a high level someone wanted all the information and the they (Dish) would investigate this, as these attempts indicated to them the contractor may not have only violated practices, but even their agreement with Dish, and that he agreed that the contractor was after that DPP44 that had been installed, and the he should have never attempted to get it back. That's what what Dish said.

That is just the latest in numerous negative experience I and others I know have had with contractors/retailers, and since this metro area easily has more Dish retailer/contractors in a one mile radius (I can walk just a few blocks to 3 of them) than exist in, perhaps, a 20 mile radius in most of the country, these bad guys ruin the curve for those contractors in the many other parts of the country who have good grades when we are grading the US in general.

There are some good retailers out there, but I think you really don't know how REALLY good and extremely competent, and safety conscience (all wear hard hats etc, the Dish company installers are here. And they all have done aesthetic PERFECT installs and won't give up until it is done right and all working well while being extremely polite and they install the right external switch for the job and have NEVER tried to lobby for an "unnecessary" 2nd or 3rd dish, and we are talking about WA installs. That can not be said for all but one of all the contractors who have done installs. I have used the one really good contractor a few times, and he is great, but that's it.

Sorry, but I just relay the info. I know the retailers on this forum are all top flight, so it is not about you, but about those who may give you a bad name.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)