Dish Now: Obtaining New Smartcard

Hermitman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Limestone, Mi
Yesterday, when I changed channels on my HBO programming, a #359 message would come up saying that I needed a new smartcard by April 8 or I would lose programming. It also had a phone number to call. I called the number but that number was for people who already had accounts. So I went another direction. I called the normal Dish Now computerized programming number and forced it to go to a CSR. I did this by trying to order some Showtime programming (this programming can't be ordered right now for some reason) and got re-directed to a CSR. I told the woman I had a Dish Now Pre-paid receiver and a #359 message came up with an April 8 cutoff date. She was very nice and knew exactly what to do. She took my name, address, receiver number and current smartcard number. She said that she had to create an information-only account so the main computer could order a new smartcard and mail it to me. That makes sense to me since it wouldn't be done manually. She also said the card should arrive in 3 to 5 business days. The whole process took less than 5 minutes and was quite pleasant. We shall see.

Yes we shall see, please let us know as soon as you actually get it and how the activation goes on the new card and whether they give you the $40 pin. As you may or may not have already heard this prepaid dishnow smartcard dilema has been brewing for dish for like the last nine months.

Lets hope at least some of the prepaid support agents have finally got it together now since we are approaching the finish line.

By the way would you mind telling me the name of the agent you spoke to, if you dont want to post here you can also send me a pm.

A live prepaid agent can be reached faster by pressing 0 when options 1-4 come up.

Look forward to seeing how this turns out.

Last edited:
I tried the "Pressing 0" option at the 1-4 selection but I kept getting the "This is not an applicable option" and was automatically disconnected. There wasn't any opportunity for me to go to a CSR from there. Maybe they've changed that technique. That's why I took the other route. I didn't get the name of the CSR but I'm optimistic that everything will work out well. Of course, I still believe the Easter Bunny is coming soon. Good luck.

Don't know if it was busy and it dropped your call or what but I tried the zero option again, when it says "ok let's get started" I pressed 0, "please hold while we connect your call." within 30 seconds had an agent on the line who answered in english, could understand them so did not sound like they were one of those overseas ones on the other side of the planet.

As an authorized DishNow dealer, we have received a few new smartcards from Dish Network to service our customers.

We have about 10 new G3 smartcards left. If you ordered your DishNow receiver from Sadoun Satellite Sales and still didn't get the new card yet from Dish Network, you can PM me with your Name (as show on the order with Sadoun), address, phone #, current smartcard #, and your Sadoun order # (if you have it handy). We will mail you a swap card right away. 1st come 1st served while supplies last.

Please note, 1st try to get your new smartcard directly from Dish Network.

Yes, all should try to get your card directly from dish, that way you will get a free $40 dishnow pin for your troubles.

The longer you wait the more likely you will have an outage and lose the prepaid days you have loaded. This could have been done so much better, with a simple webpage to submit your info proactively, but you can't tell even the actual execs at dish that, they could have been getting everybodies info on file over the last 6 to 8 months but they chose to ignore us dishnow folks, I think that says it all about how much they respect us as customers. :( very disappointed.

Last edited:
Yesterday, when I changed channels on my HBO programming, a #359 message would come up saying that I needed a new smartcard by April 8 or I would lose programming. It also had a phone number to call. I called the number but that number was for people who already had accounts. So I went another direction. I called the normal Dish Now computerized programming number and forced it to go to a CSR. I did this by trying to order some Showtime programming (this programming can't be ordered right now for some reason) and got re-directed to a CSR. I told the woman I had a Dish Now Pre-paid receiver and a #359 message came up with an April 8 cutoff date. She was very nice and knew exactly what to do. She took my name, address, receiver number and current smartcard number. She said that she had to create an information-only account so the main computer could order a new smartcard and mail it to me. That makes sense to me since it wouldn't be done manually. She also said the card should arrive in 3 to 5 business days. The whole process took less than 5 minutes and was quite pleasant. We shall see.

Did the exact thing you did 3 days ago HERMITMAN, and went through the same process as you described, giving the same info. Keeping my fingers crossed that the installation will go as smoothly as my phone conversation did with the rep, who was very nice and actually "KNEW" what to do, which was refreshing.

Also, it makes me feel better to see that I am not the only one who CAN'T order any SHOWTIME few the past couple of weeks(maybe more). I get the same thing. I get sent to a CSR for some reason.

All other programming(at least on the English side), I have had ZERO issues with it, other than Showtime.

SAUDON,

All of the current Dish NOW!/YA! prepaid DP301's that you are selling DO have the new G3 smartcard in them already, correct?

You are just offering new G3 smartcards to people who may have ordered receivers(maybe older prepaid DP301's as well) from you, other than the latest/newest PREPAID DP301's, to be able to get the new G3 card from you.

Correct?

SADOUN,

All of the current Dish NOW!/YA! prepaid DP301's that you are selling DO have the new G3 smartcard in them already, correct?

Yes, that is right.

You are just offering new G3 smartcards to people who may have ordered receivers(maybe older prepaid DP301's as well) from you, other than the latest/newest PREPAID DP301's, to be able to get the new G3 card from you.

Correct?
Yes, that is right.

Well, I got my G3 smartcard today, and called the number, pressed 0.

After being on hold for 15 minutes, I told the CSR that I needed a smartcard exchange rep, and that my receiver was a prepaid receiver.

She said she could handle it, and she took my receiver #, plus the new smartcard # on the back of the G3 card.

She then put me on hold for a second, and came back and told me I had one of the cards that would have to wait 24 hours before trying to put it in the receiver. No big deal to me because currently I have no programming added to the receiver.

She said I should turn on the unit, go the the system info page, and wait for that to load in. Then I should remove the old smartcard, while the unit is still on, and then place in the new smartcard.

She said then the unit should power off then back on with a congratulations saying that the smartcard swap was sucessfull. The unit should then go through the normal downloading procedure of the guide/etc... and I should be ready to add programming.

Does this sound right to anyone who has done this?

I won't do it until, at least, 5pm Eastern Standard time, as this will put me at about 27-28 hours after the call.

Did your card arrive via fedex or usps?
Did you get the $40 pin?

24 hours thats ridiculous!
What was the reason?

The change should not take more than 15 - 20 minutes once it is entered in which should also be immediatly. When you call you should have already inserted your new card and you should have an on screen nag telling you to activate, once you call the prepay number and get someone on the line who knows how to get into the prepaid authorization system it usually takes less then 60 seconds to get the activation hit and the congrats msg. Check programming it should show dishnow osg or dishnow next to model number on sys info at this point. If you still have black screen on programming you have to pull the power for 15 seconds and let it reboot and that should restore the video.

Last edited:
I received my new smartcard today. Things did not go well.

It arrived UPS 2nd Day Air. Instruction paper was included but no $40 Dish card (wasn't really expecting one). Followed instructions, replaced card (current card was a "red" smartcard) and paper indicated I should get Error Message #20 pop-up stating "Smartcard currently inserted is not valid....". Instead I got Message #129, "Your receiver has not yet been authorized...". Ok, both could be right.

Next step was to call the automated service using the "0" option. Got through on 4th attempt with the "Automated service cannot process request. Please hold...." and then the Spanish "Your business is important to us..." hold message. I don't mind that because that stays in country instead of outsourced CSRs. 25 minutes on hold. Nice woman comes on and takes receiver number and new smartcard number. On hold for 1 minute and she comes back on and says the activation hit is being sent, no longer that 10 minutes before my system should be up and running. I wait 10 minutes, no change - still message #129.

For good measure, I wait 1 hour with no change. I call back (15 minute wait) and talk to a nice gentleman. He again takes my numbers and goes off for 5 minutes. He says he went to the supervisor' terminal, inputted the information and made sure the activation hit went out. He then says wait 5 minutes and see if there's any changes. If not, do the 2 minute unplug-for-a-hard-reboot and then everything should be good. I wait 15 minutes, no change. I do the unplug reboot. When it comes back up, still no change.

I think maybe it needs a first-time activation again. I go that automated route and order 1 day of programming. But it comes back with the "Have there been any changes to your system?" message. So it recognizes my receiver number. It finishes the transaction normally and takes my money. I wait 30 minutes and still no change - still message #129 "Your receiver has not yet been authorized...".

Call Dish back again. 25 minute wait then the CSR comes on only to find out he can't do anything because he doesn't have access to Dish Now accounts. He transfers me to a Dish Now CSR. 30 minute wait and then I hear a hello and a hangup. I'm done playing for the night.

For fun, I put my red card back in and find it boots up normally and the programming (paid and free) is still there except for the programming I just tried to order. Obviously, the activation hit for the new smartcard never made it to the receiver or the receiver refused to accept it. I've been following everyone's experience with the pre-paid receivers and now feel I may be one of the unfortunate.

Could it be that a pre-paid receiver has a one-time shot to be activated and if that's missed, trouble? Could it be that since there are different models of motherboards and manufacturers for the model 301, that some can be upgraded and some can't? I just had one of my subscribed 301s not accept the new purple smartcard and had to swap out the receiver. Could it have something to due with the red smartcard? There is only a few entries on the 'net concerning these cards. There are other possibilities (new card bad, something different in the pre-paid card swap vs. regular receiver swap at a software level, etc.).

I would be interested in hearing others concerning their card swap, how well it went, especially if you have a red smartcard. I'll keep playing around some more trying to activate this new smartcard. If all fails, this may be the end of my experience with the Dish Now system. Good luck to all others.

I received my new smartcard today. Things did not go well.

It arrived UPS 2nd Day Air. Instruction paper was included but no $40 Dish card (wasn't really expecting one). Followed instructions, replaced card (current card was a "red" smartcard) and paper indicated I should get Error Message #20 pop-up stating "Smartcard currently inserted is not valid....". Instead I got Message #129, "Your receiver has not yet been authorized...". Ok, both could be right.

Next step was to call the automated service using the "0" option. Got through on 4th attempt with the "Automated service cannot process request. Please hold...." and then the Spanish "Your business is important to us..." hold message. I don't mind that because that stays in country instead of outsourced CSRs. 25 minutes on hold. Nice woman comes on and takes receiver number and new smartcard number. On hold for 1 minute and she comes back on and says the activation hit is being sent, no longer that 10 minutes before my system should be up and running. I wait 10 minutes, no change - still message #129.

For good measure, I wait 1 hour with no change. I call back (15 minute wait) and talk to a nice gentleman. He again takes my numbers and goes off for 5 minutes. He says he went to the supervisor' terminal, inputted the information and made sure the activation hit went out. He then says wait 5 minutes and see if there's any changes. If not, do the 2 minute unplug-for-a-hard-reboot and then everything should be good. I wait 15 minutes, no change. I do the unplug reboot. When it comes back up, still no change.

I think maybe it needs a first-time activation again. I go that automated route and order 1 day of programming. But it comes back with the "Have there been any changes to your system?" message. So it recognizes my receiver number. It finishes the transaction normally and takes my money. I wait 30 minutes and still no change - still message #129 "Your receiver has not yet been authorized...".

Call Dish back again. 25 minute wait then the CSR comes on only to find out he can't do anything because he doesn't have access to Dish Now accounts. He transfers me to a Dish Now CSR. 30 minute wait and then I hear a hello and a hangup. I'm done playing for the night.

For fun, I put my red card back in and find it boots up normally and the programming (paid and free) is still there except for the programming I just tried to order. Obviously, the activation hit for the new smartcard never made it to the receiver or the receiver refused to accept it. I've been following everyone's experience with the pre-paid receivers and now feel I may be one of the unfortunate.

Could it be that a pre-paid receiver has a one-time shot to be activated and if that's missed, trouble? Could it be that since there are different models of motherboards and manufacturers for the model 301, that some can be upgraded and some can't? I just had one of my subscribed 301s not accept the new purple smartcard and had to swap out the receiver. Could it have something to due with the red smartcard? There is only a few entries on the 'net concerning these cards. There are other possibilities (new card bad, something different in the pre-paid card swap vs. regular receiver swap at a software level, etc.).

I would be interested in hearing others concerning their card swap, how well it went, especially if you have a red smartcard. I'll keep playing around some more trying to activate this new smartcard. If all fails, this may be the end of my experience with the Dish Now system. Good luck to all others.

Hermitman,

I just tried exchanging my smartcard about 10 minutes ago, and ran into the same exact thing you did.

I removed my old card(It is Yellow with red writing, and blue/black borders to be exact) on the System Info screen(I was told to go into the menu first and go to 6, 1, 3, for system info,, let it check the signal, then remove the card), and replaced it with the new G3 card.

It went through the power down, and then power up procedure, was getting the info from the satellites, and then I got the 129 message saying that the receiver has not been authorized and to call dish.

I did that, got transfered twice when I explained I was a prepaid customer, and then explained my situation to the CSR. He told me they have been having problems with people getting the smartcards to activate on the prepaid accounts, and to try again in another 24 hours(this will be 4/2/09 at 3pm tommorrow), as he was told by a technical advisor :rolleyes:, or superior:rolleyes:, that the ability to change the card will be ready by tommorow.

I will not hold my breath. I did make sure that the info he had on my prepaid receiver was 100% correct. Receiver #, Old Smartcard #, New G3 Smartcard #, my address including zip code, and my name, plus the fact that I was trying to exchange a card on a prepaid account and not a regular account.

It all turned out to be correct, so I will try again tommorow.

If it does not work, I think I will just keep the old card in until the last possible moment, and only order programming up until that day/days, or maybe the day before, since I already have the new G3 card here anyways.

Until it says I absolutely can't on the old smartcard, I will continue to use it, and I think so should you and anyone else, unless you have success on getting the new card to be accepted.

Did your card arrive via fedex or usps?
Did you get the $40 pin?

24 hours thats ridiculous!
What was the reason?

The change should not take more than 15 - 20 minutes once it is entered in which should also be immediatly. When you call you should have already inserted your new card and you should have an on screen nag telling you to activate, once you call the prepay number and get someone on the line who knows how to get into the prepaid authorization system it usually takes less then 60 seconds to get the activation hit and the congrats msg. Check programming it should show dishnow osg or dishnow next to model number on sys info at this point. If you still have black screen on programming you have to pull the power for 15 seconds and let it reboot and that should restore the video.

No $40 pin. And it came via UPS(United Parcel Service).

Are you using the prepaid for the "core" programming off of 110/119, or are you a international channel prepaid customer only off of 118, and/or61.5?

Just curious.

Also, you can the above post as to what happened to me.

Also, did you "turn on" your receiver first, go to the system info page, and "then" remove your old smartcard, and insert the new one(G3)?

If not, please post step by step what you did, as the maybe the problem, or it might mean nothing.

I was "told" by the CSR to first turn on my unit, go to the Sys Info page(Menu, #6, #1, #3 on keypad), then make sure that both 110/119 were in the "green", then remove old card, and instert new one.

I did that, the unit reset itself automatically(turned off then on), and the first download screen appeared with my receiver #, and the new smartcard #, and then I got the Error 129 message, telling me to call a 1-888 number(can't remember it now), and to activate my receiver.

That is what happened to me, and I am going to try again tommorrow.

I should also mention that I use my prepaid system as an "add-on" for programming from the premium channels, and the NFL Network come fall(unless TWC and the NFL come to an agreement).

I placed my old card back in, and everything is working just fine.

I even ordered 1 days worth of HBO, Cinemax, and Starz(Showtime still does not work at all for some reason), and all were able to be added to my DP301 using the old card with no issues.

I also, for some reason, receive NO WARNING TAG on my screens for those channels, at all. Other than the normal screen, which says I only have two days left of those channels.

This could simply mean that since I do not have any programming loaded into the unit that runs past the dates mentioned for G3 activation, no warning message needs to be sent to my receiver. But that is just a guess.

I have never seen one message pop-up on my screen telling me I need to switch out the card in order to continue to receive programming.

Knowing what we both know about the poor customer support of the dishnow prepaid platform I can't say I am surprised.

I use mine for international from 61.5, 118, 148 and latino on 110 and 119 but that really has no effect on this other then I went through all this like 2 and half months ago, Once received I was directed to try to get my card activated by the prepaid dingbats, as expected they could not do it, not their fault because it involves lack of traing and lack of tools to do the job. So I called my contacts back at the real corp offices, not exec resolution, the ones who provided the smartcard via overnight fedex along with an instructions sheets and $40 pin that is described at the bottom of the same instructions sheet.

Was your smartcard attached to a special dishnow instructions sheet?

After a three way call was setup between myself, corpotate, and dish IT dept within a minute they had it working, they said there auth system was missing a zipcode for the new smartcart so it could get a location id.

Once the pre paid days on your old card run out I would be interested to know if anyone is willing to try the first activation option on the prepaid phone number to activte their new smartcard and assign the zip to it.

I even ordered 1 days worth of HBO, Cinemax, and Starz(Showtime still does not work at all for some reason), and all were able to be added to my DP301 using the old card with no issues.

If you are still able to continue to add days to your old card this tells me that your old card is still assigned to your receiver in the system, which means all those people you spoke to have been putting you on and they have done nothing other then maybe write your info on paper for someone else to go into the system later. If they had changed /remarried your receiver with a new smartcard in their authorization system you would not be able to continue to add days to the old card.

There is that option, "Have there been any changes to your system" when you say yes it gives you the option to change smartcard number, zipcode, or dish location.

Have you tried to change your smartcard number yourself through the system?
You will have to order one day of programming to do this and the new card will have to be in the receiver to take the hit before you complete the order.

Here are the exact procedures on the instruction paper included with my new smartcard:
1. Locate front panel on receiver
---Flip open the front panel on the left side of your receiver
---Remove old smartcard from the receiver
2. Insert new purple smartcard
---Firmly insert the NEW purple smartcard (enclosed) into the card slot of your receiver
3. The following on-screen image will appear
--(it shows a standard pop-up message box with ERROR and 020 in the top area and in the message area it shows "The smartcard currently inserted is not valid for use with this receiver")
4. Activate smartcard
---To complete the smartcard upgrade please call:1-888-347-4132. Press '0' to speak to an agent to activate your new smartcard
5. Verify programming
---Verify that all of your channels have returned (it may take up to 20 minutes)
---Dispose of your old smartcard

And then on the very bottom it says "If you experience difficulties, please call 1-888-347-4132."

This instruction paper is obviously specifically designed for the Dish Now pre-paid receivers. On the reverse side is the same instructions except in Spanish. There was no mention of a $40 card or zipcode. When my current paid programming runs out, I may try the "Have there been any changes to your system?" option if it includes the new smartcard change. So far nothing else has worked, including following the instructions. Time to guess.

If you are still able to continue to add days to your old card this tells me that your old card is still assigned to your receiver in the system, which means all those people you spoke to have been putting you on and they have done nothing other then maybe write your info on paper for someone else to go into the system later. If they had changed /remarried your receiver with a new smartcard in their authorization system you would not be able to continue to add days to the old card.

There is that option, "Have there been any changes to your system" when you say yes it gives you the option to change smartcard number, zipcode, or dish location.

Have you tried to change your smartcard number yourself through the system?
You will have to order one day of programming to do this and the new card will have to be in the receiver to take the hit before you complete the order.

Got your PM, and replied back.

I will try the way they explain it on the sheet of paper(I got the same exact sheet as Hermitman did), to see if that works. I think I will wait until tommorow, just so my programming runs out.

If not, I will give the option you said within the automated system a try, and see if that works.

Thanks for the help.

Just an update:

I just tried to activate the new smartcard via the automated system(1-888-347-4132), and now in the first menu you have, there is an option for SMARTCARD EXCHANGE(#3 on touchtone phone) in the "new" automated menu.

After I pressed #3 to go to the Smartcard exchange, the automated voice asks you for your receiver #. After I typed it in, and move for verification that the receiver # is correct, I get the dreaded, "We are unable to process your request at this time. Please hold for a Customer Service Representative..."

I did this, thinking this was the normal procedure, since this is the first time this option has been available via the automated menu(In the beginning of the call I mean). When I got to the CSR he told me the system is just not working correctly right now, and to try again in a few hours since this option was just added to the automated service on the Dish prepaid 1-888 phone number.

He said you should never have to speak to an agent, and that the automated system should handle everything by getting, first, your receiver #, then the New Smartcard #(and maybe the old one that it needs to replace), and the automated system should do it all on it's own, and send out the info via the satellite.

Still wait and see as of 4/2/09 6:00pm. I will try again around 8:30pm EST.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)