Dish on Demand

mrlasvegas

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2005
Los Angeles, City of
Anyone with a 622 have this feature working? I have had 622 for a while and dish on demand movies are always "coming soon" I have never seen anyhting available or any previews that others have mentioned.

I mentioned it to a CSR while I had them on the phone for activating the USB port. They sent me out another receiver but movies are still "comming soon".

Hmm, that is strange. I always have several on mine. Are you looking in the full list (not just the 4 pictures that show on the front screen)? Also, do you turn your receiver off (standby) when you aren't using it?

Receiver is never turned off, I have it setup for 4am download then an auto tune for 4:30am I hate seeing the dish logo.

Where do I see a full list, everything is greyed out. but I will check

Receiver is never turned off, I have it setup for 4am download then an auto tune for 4:30am I hate seeing the dish logo.

That is the reason why you're not getting any On Demand.
The receiver must be in standby (both tuneres)

Yep, that's it. If it isn't off (standby) then it can't download anything. Why on earth do you not like the dish logo? I'm glad I don't worry about such small things in life. :)

well how about that ! i spent 2 hours with the csr activiating the new receiver and another 2 hours xfering my timers to the new receiver. Damn. I will have to try the shut down this weekend

Last edited:
Why in the world would you want the on demand recordings? They cost a dollar more than PPV and disappear after 24 hours.

Just buy a PPV, record it, and watch it forever.

I don't turn mine off either.

I don't like the 3am update at all for a lot of reasons.. It's one thing that I really miss about my 721.

Maybe one of these days they'll be able to make it into a weekly event or something.

WIth the Internet, it'd be nice if we could do 30 day schedule or look out a few months too.

I don't turn mine off either.

I don't like the 3am update at all for a lot of reasons.. It's one thing that I really miss about my 721.

Maybe one of these days they'll be able to make it into a weekly event or something.

WIth the Internet, it'd be nice if we could do 30 day schedule or look out a few months too.

What exactly don't you like about the 3AM update? If a timer is active, it waits until there are no active timers to do the update. If you are watching TV then it prompts you before just doing it. I can't imagine what you hate so much about the updates.

I work and live in the same place (there's a data and ops center here). Since the hours change, and sometimes I'm here for a full day (24 hours), the last thing I really want to do is stop what I'm doing in order to locate the remote to stop the reboot, or try to play some sort of game of guessing when my responsibility time will end on the day so I can schedule the reboot. I also am of the belief that it largely serves little purpose, especially since my 721 never required one.

Also - I'd maybe feel a little different if it rebooted and then came back on, but instead it goes into screensaver mode, which is annoying as well.

My point was that the 721 didn't do it. This was something that was introduced with the later model devices and I really don't see where it serves a whole lot of purpose besides doing a fsck each day and maybe updating the channel guide (which it should be able to do without the reboot).

I don't see where this justifies a daily event, instead of a weekly one. We do daily verifies of our RAID arrays, but that's just a bit different than a DVR.

I'm not even hooked up yet, but this was certainly something I was wondering about, coming from Comcast. I sure hope this is one thing I won't miss about Comcast. I asked the CSR about this, when I signed up, but still am not sure.

Doesn't Dish have the extensive On Demand that Comcast, and probably Charter, have? Lots of free movies, and TV shows, etc, etc? I watch shows like Mad Men, off of AMC, On Demand, instead of trying to keep up with them, or DVRing them. I will miss that ability. There are many other TV shows that are On Demand.

Please tell me Dish has the same material. It did not sound like it, when I ordered. But, I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised when I get it installed, this Thursday.

If not, I've got a lot of Mad Men to catch up on, in the next few days!

If you have a severe need/interest in 'On Demand' elements, then the cable company will be the place you want to be for the immediate future. However, both satellite carriers are working to provide a service similar in the future and are in testing for such a service. Their services will be limited by the speed of your Internet connection, since the Internet will be the transport to provide this content.

Dish has sometihng called Dish on Demand at the moment, but it is not the same as DishOnline. Dish On Demand records movies while your box is turned off (via the satellite using hidden channels) and then lets you buy them for 5$ a piece. DishOnline (coming soon) will be a little closer to the On Demand service you're speaking of on cable. It is currently in testing in two markets, but does not offer free content and is not fully active yet.

In the meantime, however, you can (hopefully) subscribe to a show and the Dish box will DVR all 'new' episodes or all episodes you've never recorded/seen before. It's not a perfect situation, but it's something for the moment perhaps.

Hope that helps you out.

I'm not even hooked up yet, but this was certainly something I was wondering about, coming from Comcast. I sure hope this is one thing I won't miss about Comcast. I asked the CSR about this, when I signed up, but still am not sure.

Doesn't Dish have the extensive On Demand that Comcast, and probably Charter, have? Lots of free movies, and TV shows, etc, etc? I watch shows like Mad Men, off of AMC, On Demand, instead of trying to keep up with them, or DVRing them. I will miss that ability. There are many other TV shows that are On Demand.

Please tell me Dish has the same material. It did not sound like it, when I ordered. But, I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised when I get it installed, this Thursday.

If not, I've got a lot of Mad Men to catch up on, in the next few days!
You better watch a lot of Mad Men cause Dish doesn't compare to cable for on-demand. It is the one and only feature that I miss from my cable days. Everything else has been much better and worth the move.

Truthfully, on demand just isn't as relevant once you get used to using the guide and just DVR everything you want to watch later. But "to each his own"

I agree with that to a point, but sometimes shows never appear back on the air, or only do seasonally, once a year, etc. I do think it is useful to a point.

However, it isn't important enough to me to want cable and all of the problems that come with it... :)

Ok...thanks guys. I'll get caught up on Mad Men before Thursday, then. And, then, change my habits. I already DVR the other interesting new show, Damages, so I'll just add Mad Men. From what I've read, I should have much more room on my Dish DVRs than Comcast provides/provided?

Yep you should have more room.

You can also pay a 40$ one time fee and then plug an external hard drive in and just copy your recorded shows off the internal drive onto the external (any retail-available device will do, such as my beloved Western Digital Mybook).

If you pay the 40$ external storage fee, it'll cover any DishDVR you add to your account, including if you add another box later in time. They charge it only once per account.

Yep you should have more room.

You can also pay a 40$ one time fee and then plug an external hard drive in and just copy your recorded shows off the internal drive onto the external (any retail-available device will do, such as my beloved Western Digital Mybook).

If you pay the 40$ external storage fee, it'll cover any DishDVR you add to your account, including if you add another box later in time. They charge it only once per account.

Interesting.....I've got a lot to learn. Hope they give me good reading materials, when I get hooked up.

The 722 comes with a manual that covers a lot of these features. However, some features will be added later in time that obviously won't be in the manual now.

You'll find this site is a wealth of info for those situations.. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts