Is the 722 degrading OTA quality?

HiDefGuy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
Tidewater, VA
I had a 722 installed the other day. While it pulls in stations much better than my TV's built-in receiver does (a welcome surprise), it seems that the video quality is degraded. I notice macroblocking mostly with motion. Is this confirmed?

I had a 722 installed the other day. While it pulls in stations much better than my TV's built-in receiver does (a welcome surprise), it seems that the video quality is degraded. I notice macroblocking mostly with motion. Is this confirmed?
Get to HD setup and make sure your output is set to 1080i. Even broadcast HD is compressed, so don't expect to ever be micro-block free.

Output is 1080i into a Pioneer Kuro 6010FD, 1080p 60" tv.

My gut is telling me that the 722 is recompressing the broadcast signal again.

You can't expect a dish box that is designed to receive sat signals, but happens to have a OTA tuner to work as well as a brand new top of the line $6000 TV.

Well, I had hoped it would not degrade my OTA since that is the best HD I have. The 722 tuner is more sensitive, as I was having problems with NBC dropping out every 10 seconds, and that problem ceases to exist on the 722.

Why do I have to choose b/t having DVR and having good HD? ugh. Thats the problem with having great quality displays...they just show you how crappy your feeds are. I have to pop in a Blu-ray to feel good about it again :)

You can't expect a dish box that is designed to receive sat signals, but happens to have a OTA tuner to work as well as a brand new top of the line $6000 TV.
The OTA tuner is the typical Broadcom chipset that's used in many, many devices. As for the $6000 TV, well, I'll bet that much more emphasis (cost) is placed on the display itself and not the tuner.

Split your antenna to both the 722 and TV. Switch back a forth and see if you really notice the difference. I can't with my setup.

Originally all signals (OTA, sat) are compressing (MPEG-2 or MPEG-4/H.264) so your TV and ViP722 will decompress it without doubts.

Most of the time macro-blocking seen when the tuner get excessive number of noise ( corrupted/skipped packets ). We could check it by Diag screen - scroll down in counter's pane to 4500 and post the numbers or screen shot.

Last edited:

Now, I think your picture quality issue is low signal strength and poor signal to noise ratio. After all, you said before the 722, you lost NBC every 10 seconds. Well, you didn't change your antenna, just your tuner. Your signal is STILL marginal, at best, and the 722 just happens to get enough signal information to lock. Marginal signal can mean marginal picture in the digital world. Check to see the diagnostic numbers for excessive noise.

Buy a signal amplifier/improver to add to your antenna. I'd bet with that (or a better antenna) you'll get improved picture.

HiDefGuy, just what are your signal readings, especially on your NBC channel. We don't really know they are "marginal" until we know what they are.

All of my other majors are 100 (according to the 722) In fact, I believe NBC shows 100 too. I'll check out the diag screen later today. The builtin OTA in the TV shows others like ABC to be ~92, and NBC ~88. I am 7 miles from the towers. Using a CM4228 in the attic.

All of my other majors are 100 (according to the 722) In fact, I believe NBC shows 100 too. I'll check out the diag screen later today. The builtin OTA in the TV shows others like ABC to be ~92, and NBC ~88. I am 7 miles from the towers. Using a CM4228 in the attic.
If it is in your attic, try re-directing one way or another a tad. Also, maybe another location in your attic. Also, the NBC signal may be multipathing. I moved my antenna to another part of the house and all was well.

If it is in your attic, try re-directing one way or another a tad. Also, maybe another location in your attic. Also, the NBC signal may be multipathing. I moved my antenna to another part of the house and all was well.

Yeah I've done all of that...

You also might want to try an attenuator. Too much signal (100) can also cause problems. If you don't have an attenuator, just stick a splitter in the line which will give you a 3.5dB drop. I had to do that with an older HD STB, and it made a big difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts