D* National HD Channels are in real HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

alexgmny

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
NYC
Are the National HD channels that D* has and E* does not, showing HD content or just SD stretched? Examples are TNT, TBS. Also i am not asking about the premium channels. Maybe Charlie is not being lazzy, maybe he is waiting for the channels to really show HD content or to get a better deal.

I personally do not like TNTHD or TBSHD (i have only watch TNT for some basketball games and TBS for the MLB playoffs), the movies that are presented in those channesl do not look good at all.

USAHD or Catoon NetworkHD are these channels showing actual HD? or stretch HD? and what is the percentage of the HD content? 80% SD? 50%SD?

Again......if they are like TBSHD or TNTHD...i am in no rush for E* to get them.....better to wait until they show more HD content.

Are the National HD channels that D* has and E* does not, showing HD content or just SD stretched? Examples are TNT, TBS. Also i am not asking about the premium channels. Maybe Charlie is not being lazzy, maybe he is waiting for the channels to really show HD content or to get a better deal.

I personally do not like TNTHD or TBSHD (i have only watch TNT for some basketball games and TBS for the MLB playoffs), the movies that are presented in those channesl do not look good at all.

E* has both TNTHD or TBSHD, they show the same content as D*, maybe some commercials differ.

I am in NO rush. What is the point to cry that E* does not have certain HD channel and then cry that the HD channel does not show actual HD.

I want E* to show all the national HD channels that show actual HD content atleast +60% of the time. But I dont want channels like TBS or TNT.

It seems to me that there is more a HD Land Grab going on here then any real HD content actually being shown.

Cartoon Network HD, CNBC HD+, Bravo HD, TBS HD and so on are now not showing any real HD content at all.

USA Network has been surprising in the amount of HD they have been showing.

But for the majority of channels that Dish is missing I wouldn't worry about them yet, there is not enough HD there to call them HD channels.

It seems to me that there is more a HD Land Grab going on here then any real HD content actually being shown.

Cartoon Network HD, CNBC HD+, Bravo HD, TBS HD and so on are now not showing any real HD content at all.

USA Network has been surprising in the amount of HD they have been showing.

But for the majority of channels that Dish is missing I wouldn't worry about them yet, there is not enough HD there to call them HD channels.

It's not about missing them, it's not about any of that. I love SciFi channel. The fact that some of the shows I watch on that channel are on in HD is gold. The fact that the only way to get those MLB games that were on TBS was to have the channel was important. When ESPN started the HD, if the game I wanted to see that week was on in HD then it was really great to have the channel. The point is, why not have them, what could it possibly hurt? So all of the we don't want them because of so and so is absolute balogna! If you had a choice who would actually say, no I will pass. Just like the Voom channels on E*. As a D* subscriber I would never say, yuch, don't want them! Why the hell wouldn't I want them if nothing else is hurt by it. So talk talk talk boys, your all full of it.

My take on it:

I without any doubt again see more DISH subs asking for THESE new channels than I EVER saw DIRECTV subs asking for VOOM. Ever, period!

That goes for the threads on DISH getting MLB from back in March - to DISH getting Big 10, to DISH getting the NEW HD channels now on DirecTV. In fact, there are current threads about how much longer is the wait for Fox Business, threads on FX-HD, MGM-HD and so on.

I don't see any threads in the D* forums about subs pining for Kung Fu, or Rave, or monsters, etc.

So, the argument is - those new HD national channels have a far broader appeal IMHO - even in the face of the "They only have a limited amount of true HD programming".

I also think that this means that the majority of those people (including ex-D* subs) that really wanted VOOM - are currently DISH customers now.

My take on it:

I without any doubt again see more DISH subs asking for THESE new channels than I EVER saw DIRECTV subs asking for VOOM. Ever, period!

That goes for the threads on DISH getting MLB from back in March - to DISH getting Big 10, to DISH getting the NEW HD channels now on DirecTV. In fact, there are current threads about how much longer is the wait for Fox Business, threads on FX-HD, MGM-HD and so on.

I don't see any threads in the D* forums about subs pining for Kung Fu, or Rave, or monsters, etc.

So, the argument is - those new HD national channels have a far broader appeal IMHO - even in the face of the "They only have a limited amount of true HD programming".

I also think that this means that the majority of those people (including ex-D* subs) that really wanted VOOM - are currently DISH customers now.

Not sure what any of that has to do with the topic.......

Back on topic:
There are several announced D* HD channels that do not even broadcast HD (none, nada, zip, zilch). SpeedTVHD is one, I think there are several more but I can't comment as I don't have D* nor do I try to keep up with all the D* details. I looked into the SpeedTV channel because I would really like it, if it was HD.

In 1 year (maybe a little more), all of this won't matter. Both companies will have sat capacity to carry the majority of the desired channels and all of the crying over one or two missed channels now will seem petty. Just remember, E* subs have been enjoying 20+ channels of HD for many months before D* finally got their last sat up and running. (not trying to start anything, just trying to make a point).

Not sure what any of that has to do with the topic.......

Back on topic:
There are several announced D* HD channels that do not even broadcast HD (none, nada, zip, zilch). SpeedTVHD is one, I think there are several more but I can't comment as I don't have D* nor do I try to keep up with all the D* details. I looked into the SpeedTV channel because I would really like it, if it was HD.

In 1 year (maybe a little more), all of this won't matter. Both companies will have sat capacity to carry the majority of the desired channels and all of the crying over one or two missed channels now will seem petty. Just remember, E* subs have been enjoying 20+ channels of HD for many months before D* finally got their last sat up and running. (not trying to start anything, just trying to make a point).

Yeah - we know very well how MANY HD channels DISH had, but we still don't agree that they were of better programming quality. As stated OVER and OVER, for me (and many others) having NFL in HD, having YES in HD, having MARCH MADNESS in HD was so much better than the programming offered on DISH. Totally subjective, your opinion is as valid as mine. Conversely, my opinion is just as valid as yours. I'm not trying to argue with you - just to get you to see that programming preference has NOTHING to do with HOW MANY channels you have. If I for one MOMENT felt that DISH had better programming FOR ME, I would have switched in a heartbeat.

but, at least, when speed hd is broadcasting hd in february, directv is already ahead of the game.

the true hd programming i'm seeing is amazing.

Yeah - we know very well how MANY HD channels DISH had, but we still don't agree that they were of better programming quality. As stated OVER and OVER, for me (and many others) having NFL in HD, having YES in HD, having MARCH MADNESS in HD was so much better than the programming offered on DISH. Totally subjective, your opinion is as valid as mine. Conversely, my opinion is just as valid as yours. I'm not trying to argue with you - just to get you to see that programming preference has NOTHING to do with HOW MANY channels you have.

I wasn't arguing with your original point. The question asked was "how many D* HD channels are actually HD (not converted SD)?". Your original point AND this point have nothing to do with an actual answer to the direct question.

so here we go off-topic again:
Again, I wasn't trying to start anything, just pointing out how ridiculous it is to argue over one or two channels on a particular system. If you REALLY need a particular channel and can't wait 6 months for it, then switch. BTW, I watched most if not all the March Madness games that were offered in HD on E*, maybe I am missing something. I actually like some of the voom channels. I agree, it's all opinion

but, at least, when speed hd is broadcasting hd in february, directv is already ahead of the game.

This is the only reason I would like to see E* add available HD channels that D* is carrying now. When Speed, Cartoon Network and the others are broadcasting more true HD, E* will still be negotiating carriage agreements.

But on another more irrelevant point, when E* and D* carry the identical national channels in HD, E* will still have VOOM, 15 extra channels to watch or ignore at your pleasure.

This is the only reason I would like to see E* add available HD channels that D* is carrying now. When Speed, Cartoon Network and the others are broadcasting more true HD, E* will still be negotiating carriage agreements.

But on another more irrelevant point, when E* and D* carry the identical national channels in HD, E* will still have VOOM, 15 extra channels to watch or ignore at your pleasure.

And D* will still have the NFL, MLB, YES, etc. just as many extra sports channels to watch.

My take on it:

Hmmm...I see alot of the D* subs whinning and crying about the amount of NHL Games in HD....oohhh that is right....NHL Network....hmmm D* doesn't even have it in SD....much alone...HD.

Theres my two cents!!:D

The original questions is how much content is HD per those HD channels? the answer as Scott G said -- very little I do not think even 10% of it is HD. So there you have it. Don't spin it. It is just a fact! Now there are some programming that maybe HD that some may care more than others. I care about SG-Atlantis being in HD on Sci-Fi but I won't change just because SG-Atlantis on Sci-Fi. There is nothing I watch on Sci-Fi. Even their original movies are not that great... So right now is little here and little there with 98% of it being in SD+.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)