D* National HD Channels are in real HD?

The original questions is how much content is HD per those HD channels? the answer as Scott G said -- very little I do not think even 10% of it is HD. So there you have it. Don't spin it. It is just a fact! Now there are some programming that maybe HD that some may care more than others. I care about SG-Atlantis being in HD on Sci-Fi but I won't change just because SG-Atlantis on Sci-Fi. There is nothing I watch on Sci-Fi. Even their original movies are not that great... So right now is little here and little there with 98% of it being in SD+.

Enough to change who you subscribe to, HELL NO! Who implied anything about that. Enough to want the channel in your subscription, HELL YES! Why not have it? Eventually there will be more and more HD on these channels. That is what I don't understand. The defense mechanism here is that those without them want to poopoo them because of their lack of HD content. My contention is that it will change, just as network TV did and is still doing, and the best example, just as ESPN did and is still doing. So when I hear someone from E* say, "I dont want them, they don't show enough HD" that is just silly! "Or don't waste the bandwith on them" when I coninue to hear that E* doesn't have a bandwith problem and that they have room for 20 or so more channels before their new sats go up. So why would anyone not want them available?

Enough to change who you subscribe to, HELL NO! Who implied anything about that. Enough to want the channel in your subscription, HELL YES! Why not have it? Eventually there will be more and more HD on these channels. That is what I don't understand. The defense mechanism here is that those without them want to poopoo them because of their lack of HD content. My contention is that it will change, just as network TV did and is still doing, and the best example, just as ESPN did and is still doing. So when I hear someone from E* say, "I dont want them, they don't show enough HD" that is just silly! "Or don't waste the bandwith on them" when I coninue to hear that E* doesn't have a bandwith problem and that they have room for 20 or so more channels before their new sats go up. So why would anyone not want them available?

the intent of the thread is that... to be able to test the waters. The fact is that right now there is no compelling enough HD content on these channels. In the future yes. But now, like the OP asked, there is just not enough -- fact of the day!

the intent of the thread is that... to be able to test the waters. The fact is that right now there is no compelling enough HD content on these channels. In the future yes. But now, like the OP asked, there is just not enough -- fact of the day!

I have just reread the original statement in this thread and do not read what you describe as the "intent of the thread" into it at all. Just not enough for what??

Are the National HD channels that D* has and E* does not, showing HD content or just SD stretched? Examples are TNT, TBS. Also i am not asking about the premium channels. Maybe Charlie is not being lazzy, maybe he is waiting for the channels to really show HD content or to get a better deal.

I personally do not like TNTHD or TBSHD (i have only watch TNT for some basketball games and TBS for the MLB playoffs), the movies that are presented in those channesl do not look good at all.

Here is the original post. What do you think is the underlying reason for asking this question? Read between the lines and we can all agree that the intent here is to ultimately get a response that makes you switch..:)

P.S. Just read the first sentence "Are the National HD channels that D* has and E* does not"

Here is the original post. What do you think is the underlying reason for asking this question? Read between the lines and we can all agree that the intent here is to ultimately get a response that makes you switch..:)

P.S. Just read the first sentence "Are the National HD channels that D* has and E* does not"

You are lumping ALL the new channels together - and that is 100% incorrect to do. Some of the new channels have lots of HD content - in fact most of the programming is. But this is a spin doctors argument in the first place - and as a result, everyone has put their own spin on it.

Another in the endless chain of we are better than you - an argument that no one has won in the past 2 years, and no one wil win in the foreseeable future either IMO.

Another in the endless chain of we are better than you - an argument that no one has won in the past 2 years, and no one wil win in the foreseeable future either IMO.

And yet the same few D* zeolots insist on trying to make every thread in the E* forum another front in that argument....

Note that this thread was not about anyone being better than anyone else. It was about the quality of certain channels. Why take that personally?

Last edited:
You are lumping ALL the new channels together - and that is 100% incorrect to do. Some of the new channels have lots of HD content - in fact most of the programming is. But this is a spin doctors argument in the first place - and as a result, everyone has put their own spin on it.

Well Scott, if I am spinning please give me one of those new channels that has 50%-90% of their content in HD right now.

And yet the same few D* zeolots insist on trying to make every thread in the E* forum another front in that argument....

Note that this thread was not about anyone being better than anyone else. It was about the quality of certain channels. Why take that personally?

Coming from an E* zealot.

Interesting a thread ABOUT D* programming in a E* forum - and you feel that it is only for E* subs to post in.

Interesting a thread ABOUT D* programming in a E* forum - and you feel that it is only for E* subs to post in.

I think his point is that this is not the first thread but in every thread the D* zealots jump in the E* forum. Nothing wrong with you or anyone to participate in a public forum but the content of the discussion is basically the same.

I am hardly an E* zeolot. You don't see me in D* forums squealing that my provider is better than yours. I have been quite open in my praise for D*'s HD activities, and just about ever post I have written in the D* forums have been to that effect. The idea of measuring my worth by what other people think of my provider is absurd to me, and it is really starting to irritate me to have people who do measure themselves that way infecting every thread here.

You know full well I have never said D* customers should not post in the E* forums. You know what I object to, even if you say I can't use that certain word to describe it.

I am talking about the Main Stream Channels... Smithsonian and MGM are specials channels that are 24/7 HD but their content gets repeated over and over with probably 5-10 hrs per day in a loop.

You mean like some of the VOOM channels?

But also USA has pretty close to if not more than 50% HD.

I am talking about the Main Stream Channels... Smithsonian and MGM are specials channels that are 24/7 HD but their content gets repeated over and over with probably 5-10 hrs per day in a loop.

Those are, however, channels I would like to have. The looping sounds kind of Voomy, which is ok by me.

I am hardly an E* zeolot. You don't see me in D* forums squealing that my provider is better than yours. I have been quite open in my praise for D*'s HD activities, and just about ever post I have written in the D* forums have been to that effect. The idea of measuring my worth by what other people think of my provider is absurd to me, and it is really starting to irritate me to have people who do measure themselves that way infecting every thread here.

You know full well I have never said D* customers should not post in the E* forums. You know what I object to, even if you say I can't use that certain word to describe it.

You again fail to argue the point in the discussion and take it talk ABOUT the people making the argument. like that makes your points more valuable or something.

You mean like some of the VOOM channels?

But also USA has pretty close to if not more than 50% HD.

Yes. But here we go again with the Voom channels.;)

You say USA is 50%... OK lets see

24 hrs per day that means that is equivalent to 12 hours per day... So USA has programming in HD from 8am to 8pm or 12pm to 12am every day! Is that case? or are we talking about some prime time shows only? Can you detail on a given day the time and the programs that are HD to see whether it is 12 hours of HD per day.

Is that the only Main stream channel can you list so more that have at least 50% of their content in HD?

I think his point is that this is not the first thread but in every thread the D* zealots jump in the E* forum. Nothing wrong with you or anyone to participate in a public forum but the content of the discussion is basically the same.

And this happens exactly the same in reverse as you know.

Yes. But here we go again with the Voom channels.;)

You say USA is 50%... OK lets see

24 hrs per day that means that is equivalent to 12 hours per day... So USA has programming in HD from 8am to 8pm or 12pm to 12am every day! Is that case? or are we talking about some prime time shows only? Can you detail on a given day the time and the programs that are HD to see whether it is 12 hours of HD per day.

Is that the only Main stream channel can you list so more that have at least 50% of their content in HD?

Funny - you ask me for one - I say Smithsonian - that's not good enough. I say USA, now you want another.

I am not at home to really go thru the guides - but I would say they have to be close one way or another to 12 hours of HD on USA.