D* National HD Channels are in real HD?

Funny - you ask me for one - I say Smithsonian - that's not good enough. I say USA, now you want another.

I am not at home to really go thru the guides - but I would say they have to be close one way or another to 12 hours of HD on USA.

Well I do not believe that USA HD is 12 hours per day of HD. But please look at the guy and find other channels that satisfied the criteria out the 40+ that D* has added (i.e, mainstream channels).

Sean - I didn't write this.

I do not think no one has ever denied the looping or repeats that occur in the VOOM channels. It also happens with HDnet, HDnet Movies, Discovery HD Theater and a few others. It is part of the deal of not showing SD content. They need to fill the 24 hours of the day. Or would you rather have something like the Geographic Channel HD where they sell their programming during late nights.

Well I do not believe that USA HD is 12 hours per day of HD. But please look at the guy and find other channels that satisfied the criteria out the 40+ that D* has added (i.e, mainstream channels).

Sean - not all of those 40 (or whatever the number is) are new or exclusive to D*.

And you made the claim - you should have the backup IMO. I just said not to lump them all together if you re-read my post. They all have varying amounts of HD content.

Sean - not all of those 40 (or whatever the number is) are new or exclusive to D*.

And you made the claim - you should have the backup IMO. I just said not to lump them all together if you re-read my post. They all have varying amounts of HD content.

I asked which of those channels have 50% or more of HD content. You claim USA HD has 50% HD content on a 24 hour period. I asked you to look at the guide and find out when in the day they have 12 hours of HD content. My experience have always told me that these mainstream channel start with some primetime shows in HD and in the future they will accumulate some more HD content but it takes them a couple of year to reach maturity in their libraries.

Yes they various amount of HD but right now it is very low. That was my assertion. The HD content on these mainstream channels is poor and will remain poor for a good time.

It seems to me that there is more a HD Land Grab going on here then any real HD content actually being shown.

Cartoon Network HD, CNBC HD+, Bravo HD, TBS HD and so on are now not showing any real HD content at all.

USA Network has been surprising in the amount of HD they have been showing.

But for the majority of channels that Dish is missing I wouldn't worry about them yet, there is not enough HD there to call them HD channels.

HD Land Grab is a great phrase and I do not view it in a negative way as far as what DTV is doing. I'm not so convinced that Dish is doing anything more now than numerical channel count total tit-for-tat without expending bandwidth. They had a run up on real HD channels just prior to the DTV launch to make it look like they were serious, then after the launch they started playing silly marketing games with PPV HD and creating a bunch of blank HD slates.

Back when DTV was announcing HD plans my approach was a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. That worked in Dish's favor before but now the tables are turned.

I asked which of those channels have 50% or more of HD content. You claim USA HD has 50% HD content on a 24 hour period. I asked you to look at the guide and find out when in the day they have 12 hours of HD content. My experience have always told me that these mainstream channel start with some primetime shows in HD and in the future they will accumulate some more HD content but it takes them a couple of year to reach maturity in their libraries.

Yes they various amount of HD but right now it is very low. That was my assertion. The HD content on these mainstream channels is poor and will remain poor for a good time.

I got an email from a friend - it says that today USA has 10 hours of HD out of 22 - they have 2 hours of paid programming as well. On the weekends I believe that the number was higher. So, I don't have an overall.

Also, today from 4-10 ALL HD. midnight to 1 as well - so most of prime time.

I got an email from a friend - it says that today USA has 10 hours of HD out of 22 - they have 2 hours of paid programming as well. On the weekends I believe that the number was higher. So, I don't have an overall.

Also, today from 4-10 ALL HD. midnight to 1 as well - so most of prime time.

10 hours is very good for a startup channel. I assumed that these are non-repeating hd programs. How about the other mainstream channels because that was the question of the OP?

10 hours is very good for a startup channel. I assumed that these are non-repeating hd programs. How about the other mainstream channels because that was the question of the OP?

Here IS the OP:
Are the National HD channels that D* has and E* does not, showing HD content or just SD stretched? Examples are TNT, TBS. Also i am not asking about the premium channels. Maybe Charlie is not being lazzy, maybe he is waiting for the channels to really show HD content or to get a better deal.

Where does it say 20%, 50%, 100%? And BTW - the examples he uses (TBS,TNT) are BOTH on DISH.

I see that later on he asks the different percentages. As I answered, they vary. Many of the new movie channels have plenty of HD as well.

You again fail to argue the point in the discussion and take it talk ABOUT the people making the argument. like that makes your points more valuable or something.

I addressed what was in your post. If what you talk about is not on topic, that is your issue. If you don't want people to respond to your posts, don't post them.

Here is a list of HD channels that D* carries that E* presently does not. This is only my guess at the amount of HD programming on. This in no way comments on the worth of each channel. (SD upconvert vs. regular SD).

Bravo HD (273) 0%
Cartoon Network HD (296) 0%
MGM HD (255) 100%
FX HD (248) 25%
SciFi HD (244) 20%
Smithsonian HD (267) 100%
USA HD (242) 50%
CNN HD (202) 30%
CNBC HD (355) HD graphics w/SD Video
Fox Business HD (359) Same as above
Weather Channel HD (362) Locals on the 8
Cinemax West HD (514) Majority
HBO West HD (504) Majority
Movie Channel HD (544) Majority
Showtime West HD (540) Majority
SHO Too HD (538) Majority
Starz Comedy HD (519) Majority
Starz Edge HD (522) Majority
Starz Kids and Family (518) Majority
Starz West HD (521) Majority
Fuel TV HD (612) 0%
NESN HD (623) I don't have this channel
Speed Channel HD (607) 0%
YES HD (622) I don't have this channel

Here is the original post. What do you think is the underlying reason for asking this question? Read between the lines and we can all agree that the intent here is to ultimately get a response that makes you switch..:)

P.S. Just read the first sentence "Are the National HD channels that D* has and E* does not"

Good Lord Sean??????? This is a post from an E* sub saying in essence that there is not enough HD on these channels to switch from E* to D*, not the other way around. So no, there is no underlying reason. No the OP is not trying to make anyone "switch". You have read this wrong, agree??? He must have been inviting D* subs to answer, because they would know the answer, not the supposed answer.

Last edited:
Good Lord Sean??????? This is a post from an E* sub saying in essence that there is not enough HD on these channels to switch from E* to D*, not the other way around. So no, there is no underlying reason. No the OP is not trying to make anyone "switch". You have read this wrong, agree??? He must have been inviting D* subs to answer, because they would know the answer, not the supposed answer.

I am not thinking of switching to D* at this time. I have been a E* sub since 1999. I was just wondering if the channels that E* does not have are actually showing HD content, and it appears that NOW they are not.

If a year from now those channels are showing 80% HD content, and E* still does not have them......then i might switch....but not now.

While not HD content 24x7 I've seen HD on MGM, SciFi, USA, CNN, Smithsonian, Weather Channel, and the RSN's. There could be more but I've been on vacation while a bunch of these lit up so there could be more.

While they're not in HD, CNBC and Fox Business are at least doing 16x9 and using the extra realestate for a bunch of business graphics.

What is the underlying reason to educate us? You think :confused: Good Lord read between the lines... I am not saying that this is good or bad but there is a reason to everything and there is here!

Here is a list of HD channels that D* carries that E* presently does not. This is only my guess at the amount of HD programming on. This in no way comments on the worth of each channel. (SD upconvert vs. regular SD).

Bravo HD (273) 0%
Cartoon Network HD (296) 0%
MGM HD (255) 100%
FX HD (248) 25%
SciFi HD (244) 20%
Smithsonian HD (267) 100%
USA HD (242) 50%
CNN HD (202) 30%
CNBC HD (355) HD graphics w/SD Video
Fox Business HD (359) Same as above
Weather Channel HD (362) Locals on the 8
Cinemax West HD (514) Majority
HBO West HD (504) Majority
Movie Channel HD (544) Majority
Showtime West HD (540) Majority
SHO Too HD (538) Majority
Starz Comedy HD (519) Majority
Starz Edge HD (522) Majority
Starz Kids and Family (518) Majority
Starz West HD (521) Majority
Fuel TV HD (612) 0%
NESN HD (623) I don't have this channel
Speed Channel HD (607) 0%
YES HD (622) I don't have this channel

I think this is a good barometer of where we stand.

FX HD (248) 25%
I haven't personally seen any HD content on FXHD yet, but looking ahead in the program guide on my HR20 it looks like starting on Tuesday October 30th, FX will start showing HD. Starting at 5:30pm Elektra will be in HD. Then at 8pm Fever Pitch will be in HD and then at 10pm the season premiere of Nip/Tuck will be in HD.

All of these programs have the HD logo in the guide. I haven't seen any other FXHD shows with the HD logo until then.

I haven't personally seen any HD content on FXHD yet, but looking ahead in the program guide on my HR20 it looks like starting on Tuesday October 30th, FX will start showing HD. Starting at 5:30pm Elektra will be in HD. Then at 8pm Fever Pitch will be in HD and then at 10pm the season premiere of Nip/Tuck will be in HD.

All of these programs have the HD logo in the guide. I haven't seen any other FXHD shows with the HD logo until then.

Looks right to me. I mean they wouldn't launch a channel and incur expenses if the intention wasn't to provide HD programming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts