Status
Please reply by conversation.

DiscoLoveGrapes

Zero Transponder Founded
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 14, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
I've been meaning to post this for a long time, but I saw it again today and thought I'd better do it.

I was in Ecuador awhile back and went to the "Mitad Del Mundo," which is a tourist spot on the Equator. Outside a little bar I saw this dish. Since that's mere feet from the the line signifying where the equator is (it goes under that awning right behind the dish) - I assume the angle on that thing is about as high as it goes!

Attachments

• IMAG0299.JPG
    IMAG0299.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 271
I measured the picture with a protractor and get an angle of about 50 degrees. If you add 20- 25 degrees for the offset you get around 70-75 degrees, but it should be at 90 degrees. I don't get it.:confused: Which way does the equator run in that picture? Parallel with the side walk or perpindicular?

Well, unless it is pointed towards its "true south" or "true north" satellite, it will be not 100% straight up. It will be angled east or angled west.

Really cool though. I was just thinking about this yesterday.

Well, unless it is pointed towards its "true south" or "true north" satellite, it will be not 100% straight up. It will be angled east or angled west.

Really cool though. I was just thinking about this yesterday.

Yeah, I forgot about that. It's still a lot higher than I'm used to.

TRUE

The more I think about it , as long as the elevation bracket is set on the True North or South ...
it would be ready as a poor mans H to H as long as you have an East to West above your head LOS.

Must be pointed at amazonas at 61 degrees. From that location it has an elevation of 69.5 degrees. There are a few other sats that are in the right elevation range (61-67W or 91-97W) but the footprints or dish size rule them out.
Satellite calculators are very helpful.:eek:

When I lived in Java, Indonesia , my c-band dish pointed almost straight up in the air.

It looks cool in a BUD, doesn't it?

My hostel was about 2 blocks from HCJB -- a missionary radio station that does AM, FM, Shortwave, satellite -- the works. Almost every one of their gigantic BUDs were straight up in the air. If I only had my Fortec box and some spare RG6 at the time :)

HCJB - Quito Ecuador - I used to listen to that station back in the 1980's when I was a teenager and was into shortwave listening! I had some cool stuff that the sent me :)

HCJB was quite a blowtorch on shortwave- one of the first stations that I logged - I still have the QSL card. Not my kind of programing, but I was thrilled to be able to stick a push pin into the equator on the world map on the wall behind my old DX160

I envy you Grapes, for actually laying eyes on the transmitter site.

Attachments

• HCJB-QSL-Front.JPG
    HCJB-QSL-Front.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 145
  • HCJB-QSL-Back.JPG
    HCJB-QSL-Back.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 144
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts