DISH on the house, want to re-setup

derekcentrico

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
Florida
I was a long time DISH customer until I moved into a location that prohibited DISH. Anyway, I'm in a new location now and would like to give it a go once more.

I purchased a VIP-211K from this website's sponsor store a long while back and it worked great. Since there is a satellite, sans cables, I want to try and set it up on my own and just call in a reactivation when I'm done.

Photos of what the house has are available here: https://plus.google.com/photos/117949361368315100519/albums/5784777377795676305
The dish has two cables coming out of it and those have been snipped at the base of the satellite. There are two cable holes going into the wall of our house where I assume those two cables ran inside. I have no clue how it was setup previously.

We want to setup just one receiver, the 211K. I know the 211K only has one input coaxial so I'm curious if something is missing or we only need to connect just one of those cables...

Any advice on proceeding would be most helpful. I'm really getting into this do-it-yourself mentality. (God help my indoor herb garden...)

IMG_20120905_152452.jpgIMG_20120905_152432.jpgIMG_20120905_152507.jpg

the link is forbidden (per google)

you can upload the pictures here. Where the quick reply box is to the right it says "go advanced". CLick on that and scroll down to "manage attachments"....you can upload pics them for us to see

What dish is it? (since I cant see the pic)
Dish 500?
Dish 1000?

any markings on the LNB?

Unless its a real old dish that had a separate switch all you'd have to do is hook a cable from the dish to the 211k and run check switch

the link is forbidden (per google)

you can upload the pictures here. Where the quick reply box is to the right it says "go advanced". CLick on that and scroll down to "manage attachments"....you can upload pics them for us to see

Wow that kinda stinks. I'm an G+ addict now.

Cited photos added to original post.

What dish is it? (since I cant see the pic)
Dish 500?
Dish 1000?

any markings on the LNB?

Unless its a real old dish that had a separate switch all you'd have to do is hook a cable from the dish to the 211k and run check switch

It only says TurboHD. Photo attached.

IMG_20120905_153925.jpg

Thats a Dish 1000.2 so you should be fine

Hook up a cable from the dish to the 211k and run the check switch. It should find 110,119 & 129.

Thats a Dish 1000.2 so you should be fine

Hook up a cable from the dish to the 211k and run the check switch. It should find 110,119 & 129.

Cool. So, I can connect to either of the two cables coming from the satellite? I'll splice and create a connection from whichever if that's the case. Need to buy some crimp tools I guess.

Any advice on pointing a dish if check dish doesn't find them? We have a lot of heavy-wind storms here and I have no clue how long it's sat there.

Cool. So, I can connect to either of the two cables coming from the satellite? I'll splice and create a connection from whichever if that's the case. Need to buy some crimp tools I guess.
either one should be fine. All 3 outputs do the same thing

Any advice on pointing a dish if check dish doesn't find them? We have a lot of heavy-wind storms here and I have no clue how long it's sat there.
if it is out of whack all you would need to do is turn it left or right to get the best signal.

Signals on 110 & 119 should be in the 60's to low 70's
129 should be 50's to 60's

do the check switch first then see what signals come in and tweak if necessary

Finally bought a ladder, crimper, etc. and got the stuff setup.

For Southern Florida, I'm receiving responses on Sat 110 and 119. However, 129 is not coming through on the Point Dish screen.

IMG_20120911_172014.jpgIMG_20120911_171841.jpgIMG_20120911_171819.jpg

The Check Switch tests 1 to 4 complete and display the following:

IMG_20120911_172258.jpg

After it downloaded the guide, it seems to be operating just fine.

Should I do anything at this point? Move the dish to get better levels or anything?

EDIT: I assume that Satellite 129 would carry some SD channels like ESPN1 and ESPN2. Those wouldn't come in at all and I receive a message stating total signal loss. The HD channels are present, though.

Last edited:
Actually, it now shows 129 coming through with the same/similar strength as the other satellites. But, I'm still receiving a total loss of signal error on ESPN SD channels. I prefer HD anyway, but still that's curious to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)