Dish Online and Android OS Phones

samalex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Waco, Texas
Does anyone know if/when Dish Online will be available for Android phones? From what I've read seems like the Sling portion is available for Android, but given we have a VIP 722 I don' think we can stream content from our box via Sling. I'd just like to see the Dish Online content when we're on the go.

Thanks --

Sam

Does anyone know if/when Dish Online will be available for Android phones? From what I've read seems like the Sling portion is available for Android, but given we have a VIP 722 I don' think we can stream content from our box via Sling. I'd just like to see the Dish Online content when we're on the go.

Thanks --

Sam

I was just looking for a solution today. Going to the webpage in the phone works, but not very convenient. I couldn't scroll through the channel list on my EVO. There needs to be an app for dishonline.

I was just looking for a solution today. Going to the webpage in the phone works, but not very convenient. I couldn't scroll through the channel list on my EVO. There needs to be an app for dishonline.

Do the videos play? The site uses Flash, and unless you have Android 2.2 Froyo, which I don't have yet on the DroidX, Flash isn't an option for me. I just found this article on Mashable that says "iOS, Android, and BlackBerry apps are coming", so maybe soon.

With our DroidX we really don't have a simple way to watch videos, so I'm looking forward to the Froyo update to add Flash support.

Sam

Do the videos play? The site uses Flash, and unless you have Android 2.2 Froyo, which I don't have yet on the DroidX, Flash isn't an option for me. I just found this article on Mashable that says "iOS, Android, and BlackBerry apps are coming", so maybe soon.

With our DroidX we really don't have a simple way to watch videos, so I'm looking forward to the Froyo update to add Flash support.

Sam

Dish Networks favorite word soon.

Sam

tried it today and it does work on the X with Froyo....although i agree that an app specifically for android would make this site much easier to navigate / use.

Has anyone heard about anything like this in the works?

You found an app for dish online on android market. How is that since there is no official app yet?

Did a search for DISH NETWORK in the Market. App appeared on screen.

App is called DISH ACCESS.

Downloaded. Installed. Used to select Samson and Delilah to record last night. This was done on Wednesday night, prior to going to bed, as a test. Checked living room television before going to bed and timer was there.

Nicely laid out. Lets you see NOW grid or FUTURE grid. Allows selection of FAVORITES - although not as stored in receiver, but as selected in APP.

You can SEARCH or use as REMOTE as well as WATCH NOW, and schedule programming on any of your receivers which you have given names to and made available.

YES, THERE IS AN APP IN THE ANDROID MARKET.

Off to work now, if you cannot find or do not believe, I will get out camera when I return home and post screen shots here for you to see - perhaps a video of it in action will convince you that there is, indeed, an APP, even if it is not "official" yet.

Incidentally, we release lots of stuff without making it "official" until we know the bugs are worked out of it. In defense of the software author, however, this does NOT appear to be a beta or pre-release.

App is called DISH ACCESS.

YES, THERE IS AN APP IN THE ANDROID MARKET.

Off to work now, if you cannot find or do not believe, I will get out camera when I return home and post screen shots here for you to see - perhaps a video of it in action will convince you that there is, indeed, an APP, even if it is not "official" yet.

We are well aware of that app. It has been discussed in other threads. By saying it is not official, I meant it was not put out by dish network. That app is simply for scheduling recordings. We are talking about a Dishonline app that will allow you to access the videos on Dishonline website (without going to the website). The website is not user friendly for mobile devices

The app you have downloaded was created by an independent programmer and is virtually a link that takes you to the same page that you can acess online. A quick look at the comments regarding that app will show that it needs lots of work and is sporadic at working (probably because Dish has not been involved in the creation of it).

There is no app for the Dishonline website right now or you would be able to watch the hundreds of videos that are on dishonline, not simply look at your DVR....2 different things

I upgraded my DroidX to Froyo a few days ago but I haven't tried Dish Online yet -- but from what other say I assume it'll work which is nice. It would be good to have an app though since the website will probably be clunky on the 4.3" screen. But given it works and the videos play full screen then that's good enough for me :)

I've only tested it with a couple of clips, but it seems to work pretty good on my Droid X (recently updated with Android 2.2). I was using 3G and there was a little stuttering of the video, but not much. Audio was great. After switching to wireless, the video smoothed out. Very cool!

I tried DishOnline over the weekend on my DroidX running Froyo, and some clips worked while others didn't. I also found it kinda unreliable at times. Though it didn't generate any errors, at one point I had to restart the phone to get video to start -- killing Browser didn't do it. It's like Flash was hung in the background, not sure.

The one clip I got working quite well was the new Star Trek movie, and it looked and sounded great over wifi (didn't try over 3G - no 4G in my area). This was really the only clip I could get working, though I only tried a hand full of others and I didn't try to reboot the phone again before trying.

So getting to DishOnline via the browser will work in a crunch, but honestly I'll be happy when they roll out an App that plays them more seamlessly.

Sam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts