dish online disappeared on my menu

bela_blasko2006

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
Bartlesville, OK
i hooked up ethernet cable to my vip622 several weeks ago and sampled this feature. Seemed like a bunch of old movies at high prices so i disconnected it. Now i see its gone from my menu. Did dish cancel this service or did it just disappear from my menu since i pulled the plug.

I suspect it doesn't show if you don't have the ethernet attached. There is no harm having the ethernet attached, as a matter of fact the receiver can "call home" using the ethernet, which, if you don't have a landline attached, can save you $5/mo.

I am hopeful that Dish will see that Direct offers free movies on demand through their online service and that they will follow suit. I am going to spend some of tomorrow putting in a cat6 line to the entertainment center for my HD-DVD player, my laptop, and my Dish box.

As for your question. I read that the box detects the Ethernet line and adds the choice in the menu automatically.

I suspect it doesn't show if you don't have the Ethernet attached. There is no harm having the ethernet attached, as a matter of fact the receiver can "call home" using the ethernet, which, if you don't have a landline attached, can save you $5/mo.

only problem is i think it was killing my bandwidth-i have the bottom of the line speed att&t dsl and i disconnected it due to poor performance-performance improved since i unplugged it so i left it unplugged.

The receiver will only use a tiny amount of bandwidth and only when it 'pings' two servers that it "calls home" too. Seriously, there's no way it's affecting your speed.

Dish online disappeared from my menu as well. I have a 722 and it is still connected through the ethernet. It actually disappeared from the menu a few weeks ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)