Dish or DirectTV

PundaSmith

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Cherry Hill, NJ
Hello,

I am interested in switching from Comcast TV to either Dish or Direct.

I have 2 HD TVs, and would need DVR on the main (living) room TV. Basically, I need Fox Soccer TV HD and MSNBCHD.

Below are the estimates of my preferred packages from both carriers. I would be very grateful if someone could guide me in terms of which would be a better choice.

Thanks - PS

------------------------->

DISH PACKAGE:

America's Top 250 $64.99
12 Mo Promo Cr $-15.00

ADDITIONAL PROGRAMMING:
Philadelphia, PA Local Channels: Included
HD 250 Free $0.00
Service Plan (15/0) $6.00
Service Plan CR $-6.00

HARDWARE:
RCVR 612 HD SOLO DVR Included
RCVR 211/411 HD SOLO Included
DVR Service: $6.00
HD Solo Receiver: $7.00

MONTHLY TOTAL: $62.99 + $1.54 tax = $64.53. (After 12 months, this increases to about $90.00

DIRECT TV PACKAGE:

CHOICE ULTIMATE: $68.99
$24 Bill Credit for Months 1-12: $-24.00
$5 Bill Credit for Months 1-12: $-05.00
HD Access: $10.00
DIRECTV DVR Service: $7.00
Fees
Receiver Lease Fee (2 receivers): $10.00
Lease Fee Discount (1st receiver) $-5.00

MONTHLY TOTAL: $61.99 (After 12 months, this increases to $90.99

Last edited:
Hello,

I am interested in switching from Comcast TV to either Dish or Direct.

I have 2 HD TVs, and would need DVR on the main (living) room TV. Basically, I need Fox Soccer TV HD and MSNBCHD.

Below are the estimates of my preferred packages from both carriers. I would be very grateful if someone could guide me in terms of which would be a better choice.

Thanks - PS

------------------------->

DISH PACKAGE:

America's Top 250 $64.99
12 Mo Promo Cr $-15.00

ADDITIONAL PROGRAMMING:
Philadelphia, PA Local Channels: Included
HD 250 Free $0.00
Service Plan (15/0) $6.00
Service Plan CR $-6.00

HARDWARE:
RCVR 612 HD SOLO DVR Included
RCVR 211/411 HD SOLO Included
DVR Service: $6.00
HD Solo Receiver: $7.00

MONTHLY TOTAL: $62.99 + $1.54 tax = $64.53. (After 12 months, this increases to about $90.00

DIRECT TV PACKAGE:

CHOICE ULTIMATE: $68.99
$24 Bill Credit for Months 1-12: $-24.00
$5 Bill Credit for Months 1-12: $-05.00
HD Access: $10.00
DIRECTV DVR Service: $7.00
Fees
Receiver Lease Fee (2 receivers): $10.00
Lease Fee Discount (1st receiver) $-5.00

MONTHLY TOTAL: $61.99 (After 12 months, this increases to $90.99
I believe with Choice Ultimate or higher, HD is free for life. They may have changed it to needing a Sunday Ticket subscription?

If you go with Dish tell them you have 3 tv's. Then you will get a 722/722k. It has several advantages over the 612 and the monthly bill will be the same.. first receiver is free.

Direct does not offer Fox Soccer in HD, but they do have Gol HD. For both channels you will need to add the sports pack or upgrade to the Premier pack.

Sports pack with Direct is an extra $12.99.

Dish offers Fox Soccer in their 250 and higher package. They also offer it in HD, unlike Direct for now. No need to order the sports pack or move up the the Everything package. If you really want this channel, Dish will be a lot less expensive.

I believe with Choice Ultimate or higher, HD is free for life. They may have changed it to needing a Sunday Ticket subscription?

It was choice or higher. Now that Sunday Ticket it out its Premier unless you order from Costco then I believe HD is free with Ultimate still. Someone stated they called Direct and they matched the HD for free by stating Costco had it.

With DISH, you can do what GravelChan says and tell them you have 2 HDTV's and 1 SDTV. That way, you will get a ViP 722 or a ViP 722k at no extra cost.

IMHO, I would go with DISH (which is what I did) because they have better equipment. With DirecTV you are taking a gamble on getting an HR23 or older, which is much slower and clunkier than the ViP series. For me, DISH also has more channels I like in HD, such as G4TV HD and BBCA HD. Also, it has also been shown recently, that DISH has better customer satisfaction than DirecTV.

Satisfaction in Cable Lags - WSJ.com

Thanks for all your responses. I am leaning towards Dish, and indeed, if i choose 2 HDTVs + I SDTV, I get offered the ViP 622/722 Duo Receiver. I have two questions about this set up:

-- Does the Duo Receiver allow independent viewing of channels on the two TVs?

Also, I realize that the $15.00 discount is over after the first year, thus increasing the monthly bill by about $15.00. Is it possible to sign up for a different promotion at the end of the first month to keep the same lower rate or I am stuck with the $15.00 increase for the next 12 months?

Is there any way to extend the promotion?

rgds, PS

-- Does the Duo Receiver allow independent viewing of channels on the two TVs?

Yes. The duo receiver has 2 options. single mode, which can have 1 tv plus picture-in-picture. and dual mode which can have 1 HDTV (if it's a ViP) and 1 SDTV independent channels.

The duo-DVRs have more options. They can record two different channels at once, HD or SD, both TVs have a Live TV buffer so you can pause live TV, both TVs can be recording content while watching another recording. They also have a single mode, which can have the picture-in-picture.

In dual mode, the receivers can supply 1 HDTV and 1 SDTV at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Direct does not offer Fox Soccer in HD, but they do have Gol HD. For both channels you will need to add the sports pack or upgrade to the Premier pack.

Sports pack with Direct is an extra $12.99.

Dish offers Fox Soccer in their 250 and higher package. They also offer it in HD, unlike Direct for now. No need to order the sports pack or move up the the Everything package. If you really want this channel, Dish will be a lot less expensive.
Directv is about to launch Fox Soccer HD before the beginning of this EPL season next weekend.

CenturyLink leaves Dish and is now selling Directv

CenturyLink the third largest telco in U.S. after acquiring Embarq and Quest has officialy stopped selling Dish Network and is now selling Directv. They have alot of customers in 33 states. Not good news for Dish.

Which is why I said, "...for now".
"For now" suggests that there is nothing certain about it coming.
Also, Fox Soccer is in a higher package on Direct than Dish.
Which is the reason I went to Dish. Directv has a real "Sports Pack" where as Dish includes the meat of the Sports Pack in 250, making their sports pack kind of useless... unless you like college basketball, baseball and football. That and their 250 gave you Encore channels. I think Directv now has an equivalent, but not before I left.

Depends on programming you want

Since I have E* I think you should go w/ it. I would go w/ a 722k and add the OTA module (cost 30 1 time fee but worth it if you want OTA) so your main receiver can record 2 sat channels & 2 OTA channels at the same time. Get the 211 for the 2nd TV. No fee for the 2nd receiver either, and both will be HD.

Since I have E* I think you should go w/ it. I would go w/ a 722k and add the OTA module (cost 30 1 time fee but worth it if you want OTA) so your main receiver can record 2 sat channels & 2 OTA channels at the same time. Get the 211 for the 2nd TV. No fee for the 2nd receiver either, and both will be HD.

There would be a $7 monthly fee for the second receiver, the 211.

Just switched from Dish to Direct. I was not under contract and had a single 722 in my house. I called to complain that I was paying $90 a month for Dish and only had 1 TV with HD, and the similar pack from Direct would give me HD in 2 rooms, SD in 1 room, MRV, and would be $35 cheaper for the first year.

They offered to send me another ViP722 for $23 more a month. Somehow, me complaining about their service/price lead her to believe I wanted my bill to be 30% higher. I did not take the offer. DirecTV arrives Sept 1st. I'm really looking forward to MRV of HD content. Also, it'll be nice to have Versus and not have Dish skip the HD feed on half of the local games.

Switching is fine if you want to have less national HD channels and fewer movie channels in HD. So yes, you are changing and yes it is cheaper that 1st year, but you get somewhat less for it. The missing HD channels may not be important to you, but could well be for others.

If you do decide on Direct I would not go unless they install the HR24 and H24 receivers with the whole room DVR access. I got that and these two receivers are the best on the market right now. Schedule the install, make notes in the installation notes that you want them to bring the HR24 and H24. Schedule it for a weekend so your not missing any work. If they show up with the HR24/H24 go foward with the install if not cancel the install and go with dish (maybe even have dish scheduled for the next day). Your not obligated to anything until you sign the dotted line right after the install.

Alway demand the best from the beginning, because once you sign that dotted line either company your stuck with it for 2 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts