Dish OTA Antenna

pajer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
North Central Pennsylvania
is dish now providing an install of an hd ota antenna with the 622 installation, i have the 622 install scheduled for feb. 28th. I live in the johnstown/altoona dma and this is not one of the 50 markets dish is going to offer the hd locals in. i checked with a tech csr and he has never heard of dish installing a ota antenna, but i thought charlie said something on the last chat regarding this, anyone know anything about this. thanks for your help! pajer

I just read in the notes of the retailer chat that if you are swapping or upgradeing to an MPEG4 unit and must use OTA to get HD locals, they will provide and install the antenna. If you are a new customer, then it will be a free install with the purchase of a $49 OTA antenna.

Remember you get what you pay for, don't expect great reception out of a $50 antenna installation unless you are in an area where you can receive the analog signals with rabbit ears.

boba,
You're suggesting that they will install an outdoor antenna (probably a clip-on to
the dish) that is not any better than indoor rabbit ears?? If you use their OTA
ant, does their receiver decode the OTA HD, or does your tv have to have the HD
tuner built in?

I'm inclined to agree with Boba on this one. More than likely it'll be a clip-on antenna, ala Terk. The receiver will decode the OTA HD signal, but I've also seen where stand-alone units seem to do a better job. The 622 may be fine, but I'm speaking with the 811/411 units in mind.

As a tech I still have not been able to get anyone to answer, if we are installing antennas or not. I would also say that it would most likely be a clip on antenna, because thats all you could expect most Dish installers to handle. Unless you are real close to the towers and they are all in the same direction, I would not expect much as far as reception. $50.00 does not even get you a good antenna let alone with install.

What a potential nightmare for techs. I have 2 811's and a 921 and have installed many OTA antennas. I have problems with my own antennas. Everytime the trees leaf out or they lose their leaves, I have to adjust the antennas. I am less than 10 miles from the broadcast towers and have multi-casting problems. I truly think that Voom died in part because they promised something they could not guarantee; the quality of OTA signals because they did not have control of the signal. For hilly areas, like STL, antenna installation and reliablility is truly witchcraft. I have had terk 24(?)s work like a charm in some installations and not work at all at others within a mile and even sometimes on the same street. And don't get me started about OTA antennas in a subdivision under construction and the impact of new two-story houses!

I wish the best to the techs that will get call backs because "channel xx was working last week, why not now"?

In some cases, I gave customers their money back so somebody else could deal with the problems. And I don't install them anymore.

webbydude said:
I'm inclined to agree with Boba on this one. More than likely it'll be a clip-on antenna, ala Terk. The receiver will decode the OTA HD signal, but I've also seen where stand-alone units seem to do a better job. The 622 may be fine, but I'm speaking with the 811/411 units in mind.
I don't know about the Dish OTA antenna, but I used to be with a service called USDTV, and they offered a $29 rooftop antenna. We ordered it(since our attic antenna wasn't working), and it worked great for over a year with USDTV, and now works great with our 811.

So, a $50 antenna through dish could easily be a full rooftop antenna(I'm not sure exactly what they are called).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts