DVI or COMPONENT cables, Is there really THAT big of a difference?

Killswitchengage

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
What is the real difference? Opinions please?

I have an 811 (hopefully a 211 on tuesday) and think I get a really great picture with the component cables I have. But would gladly upgrade to DVI if the picture quality was noticeable. But the DVI cables I see are between $75-100 a pop so so an upgrade MUST be noticable:)

Do a search on Google and you'll find some DVI cables a lot cheaper then the $75 ones. Also I would stay away from Mon$ter crap since it's overpriced.

Killswitchengage said:

I have an 811 (hopefully a 211 on tuesday) and think I get a really great picture with the component cables I have. But would gladly upgrade to DVI if the picture quality was noticeable. But the DVI cables I see are between $75-100 a pop so so an upgrade MUST be noticable:)

Try Monoprice.com. they have reasonable prices and decent quality cables. Quiet honestly I don't see a difference between component and HDMI but HDMI has video and audio on the same cable so that's an advantage.

RandallA said:
Try Monoprice.com. they have reasonable prices and decent quality cables. Quiet honestly I don't see a difference between component and HDMI but HDMI has video and audio on the same cable so that's an advantage.

Unfortunately I have DVI on my Sony which to my knowledge does not include sound. I think the 811 and the 211 are also DVI compatible, but not hdmi.

Killswitchengage said:
Unfortunately I have DVI on my Sony which to my knowledge does not include sound. I think the 811 and the 211 are also DVI compatible, but not hdmi.

That's true about the 811. However there are DVI to HDMI cables and that's what I use from my 811 (DVI) to my DLP (HDMI). Still need an optical cable for sound.

I already have a new HDMI to HDMI cable ready to go for when my 622 arrives. I could still use the DVI to HDMI cable on my DVD player, but my TV only has one HDMI input on it. I will probably end up getting one of the new Yamaha receivers that has multiple HDMI outs on the back of it and run things that way. They are $1000 right now though so not any time soon.

Ouch! What a ripoff from Best buy and Circuit City! If I do I'll go online and pick them up.

It would seem to be the obvious that the DVI would have the better and more clear picture. But I've heard so many people say that thre is no real difference.

I've also heard from a few other people that the colors seem more Vibrant with Component. Seems like that wouldn't be the case.

Using a 942 and a CRT RP, I find the picture a bit better when using component over HDMI. I wanted the answer to be the other way around.

I second picking up the HDMI cable from monoprice.com, their $7-$8 cable is quite good. Or get a Dayton Audio HDMI cable, from partsexpress.com, and sometimes from amazon.com . This one will cost around $20 and it is very well constructed, every bit as good as Monster.

Killswitchengage said:

This will depend a lot on your TV, too. I've heard that keeping things digital as long as possible by connecting by DVI or HDMI shows the most benefits on fixed-pixel TVs, such as plasma, LCD or microdisplays. CRT (direct and RPV) seem to have better results using component. In addition, the quality of your TVs scaler will play a role, too. But, as others have mentioned, go to monoprice.com, order one of their cables and test it out yourself. It's a lot easier when you're spending under $20 ;)

Killswitchengage said:

The 211 has HDMI only, no DVI. You can get a DVI to HDMI cable at Monoprice.com too.

Good god! I went out this morning and spent the $75 on a monster DVI cable so I could do a test myself.

And after switching back and forth from the DVI to the Component,, I like the component better. No real difference in the picture quality as far as sharpness goes, but the colors are a quite a bit more vibrant with the component.

And now that I hear randall say the 211 is hdmi only, well that just gives me one more reason to return this overpriced cable to best buy.

My sony is a Tube HD which means it weighs about 250 pounds but has what I consider to be the best picture I have ever seen.

Killswitchengage said:
And after switching back and forth from the DVI to the Component,, I like the component better. No real difference in the picture quality as far as sharpness goes, but the colors are a quite a bit more vibrant with the component.

And now that I hear randall say the 211 is hdmi only, well that just gives me one more reason to return this overpriced cable to best buy.
I have found on one TV that the Component is better and on another the HDMI/DVI is better with the same 211. On the compononent TV, the colors are much better then with HDMI/DVI cable. On the TV that is better with HDMI, the colors are comparable, but HDMI looks just a tad sharper.

As for your overpriced cable, I only buy cables from Monoprice.com now. Everybit as good as the "Premium" cables.

If you have a fry's electronics in your area they carry dvi-hdmi cables and dvi-dvi cables for around $20 for like 3ft and 6ft for like $30 great cables. They stock them near the computer cables and keyboards. ;)

Owning a 52" JVC D-ILA I see no difference from component to DVI or HDMI.

You can go to E-bay and find anything in any size from $7 - $100 depending on your size of cable and product!!!!!!

Well I will chime in and disagree with the Monster Cables being overrated. I have everything Monster on my system and I used the wife test...I hooked up my 811 w/ the included DVI and a Monster DVI and I saw a difference and so did the wife, the trick was I just asked "which looks better?" no mention on which one I was plugging in.

Haveing said that I would not pay what BB and CC ask for these cables. I went on Ebay and got all new Monsters at over 50% less than either of those stores charge. I just bought a Monster 1000 HDMI to DVI for $38 shipped 1 meter length so I will be all set when the 622 arrives...whenever that is.

Reefer123 said:
Well I will chime in and disagree with the Monster Cables being overrated. I have everything Monster on my system and I used the wife test...I hooked up my 811 w/ the included DVI and a Monster DVI and I saw a difference and so did the wife, the trick was I just asked "which looks better?" no mention on which one I was plugging in.

Haveing said that I would not pay what BB and CC ask for these cables. I went on Ebay and got all new Monsters at over 50% less than either of those stores charge. I just bought a Monster 1000 HDMI to DVI for $38 shipped 1 meter length so I will be all set when the 622 arrives...whenever that is.

Sorry but I have to disagree on this one, 1st monster cable are overrated, but those differences aside there is no way you can see a quality difference using monster vs cheap DVI or HDMI cable and reason is DVI and HDMI are digital signal. You will see the picture or you won't see the picture. There are no good and bad quality with DIV or HDMI (Now you might avod corrosion because of the weather by using some good gold plated connection still no quality diff), same with SPDIF or digital coax cable use cheap one won't make any difference.

Now with the component and RCA(composite) output you might see a difference if you use really crappy cable as those are analog signal and signal degradation will occur and you might justify to buy expensive cable (I might not as a cable from monoprice will be 99 % of the job) for 1 % I won't spend that much money. Hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)