Dish OTA Dongle

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Yragha

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
I have the new one but why for goodness sake is this thing so damn flaky?

Just like the older version it's hit or miss and shouldn't be. I have a powerful outdoor antenna which without the Dongle pulls in 123 on the nose every single time.

With the dongle attached, one scan returns 37 channels, next time I get 82, then 55.

No rhyme or reason but i know one thing, drives me nuts.

I have the new one but why for goodness sake is this thing so damn flaky?

Just like the older version it's hit or miss and shouldn't be. I have a powerful outdoor antenna which without the Dongle pulls in 123 on the nose every single time.

With the dongle attached, one scan returns 37 channels, next time I get 82, then 55.

No rhyme or reason but i know one thing, drives me nuts.
If you are pulling in 123 channels there is a good chance you are also receiving interference from near by broadcasters causing the fluctuations on number of channels received.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
123 via outdoor at my home. 110 via indoor at my rental. Houston TX

I noticed that DISH has the dongles now for $59.00 on the Store part when you sign in to your DISH account.
Which version of the OTA dongle is this? The one that generates signal glitches every 3-4 seconds, or the one that melts anything that comes into contact with it?

In other words, unless it comes with a lifetime money-back guarantee, I am loath to send Dish more money for another one of their OTA dongles.

Reactions: Yragha
With the reports of the dongles being so poor and down in signal over the OTA tuners in the 211k, I would think Dish would still offer a good receiver with a good OTA tuner. My 211k is excellent. In fact I have been thinking of buying a back up if this one ever dies. I was told if the customer already has a 211k in place, replacing it, Dish will okay it. They are still around for $99 or less at Dish Depot and Amazon. I have seen some listed as new in the box and other refurbished. But I am very fond of the 211k.

With the reports of the dongles being so poor and down in signal over the OTA tuners in the 211k, I would think Dish would still offer a good receiver with a good OTA tuner. My 211k is excellent. In fact I have been thinking of buying a back up if this one ever dies. I was told if the customer already has a 211k in place, replacing it, Dish will okay it. They are still around for $99 or less at Dish Depot and Amazon. I have seen some listed as new in the box and other refurbished. But I am very fond of the 211k.

When Dish has (had?) them in stock, they sell them for $50 over the phone.

There was a point in time when the first-gen OTA dongle started to work with the Hopper 3. Life was good. Then, Dish announced that Locals over Dish are now extra and wouldn't you know it? The OTA dongle started flaking out again, removing the incentive to drop Locals to save money.

There was a point in time when the first-gen OTA dongle started to work with the Hopper 3. Life was good. Then, Dish announced that Locals over Dish are now extra and wouldn't you know it? The OTA dongle started flaking out again, removing the incentive to drop Locals to save money.
Locals have ALWAYS been extra, they just weren't listed separately for awhile.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
There was period of time when if Locals were available, they were included whether you wanted them or not. Sure, you can remove them now, but doing so with the malfunctioning OTA Dongle defeats the purpose.

Obviously, if it were that important, I would be trying to take action against Dish. But the OTA was purchased years ago, so there is no warranty. I should have returned it as soon as I bought it since it didn't work out of the box, but it was one of those, "we're working on it, please be patient" situations. Eventually an update came down from Dish and the dongle worked like it was designed. A year later another update came and broke the Dongle again. That was a year ago and I'll moan here every chance I get. Maybe Dish will get tired of my trashing Hopper OTA Modules every chance I get and will send me a free one to shut me up.

I may end up buying Claude a round or three over in the Pub and trade Dish stories. Really, I continue to enjoy Dish, I will never get Comcast, and since AT&T bought DirecTV and killed U-verse, that option is gone. If my AT&T U-verse Internet was faster I would probably ditch the Dish and go to full IPTV-mode.

Edit: Hmmmm, my whine made me think I should go open a proper bottle of wine.:drunk

:sorrysign

$50? They have dropped in price. When I called Dish months ago, they said I could purchase a vip211 from them, but they could not say for sure if I would get the z or k. That is one reason I did not get one at the time. Then they were $100.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)