Dish OTA Module

StereoLave

Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Cochranton, Pa.
I recently upgraded to HD with Dish with the VIP 222k Dual Tuner. I also installed an OTA module for local stations I can get off air from other markets I cannot subscribe to since I am in the Erie, Pa. market. I get programming information for, let's say 33-1. However, I cannot get program information for 33-2 or 33-3. It just says "Digital Service" on second and third channels. Why is that & is there any way to fix this issue?

I recently upgraded to HD with Dish with the VIP 222k Dual Tuner. I also installed an OTA module for local stations I can get off air from other markets I cannot subscribe to since I am in the Erie, Pa. market. I get programming information for, let's say 33-1. However, I cannot get program information for 33-2 or 33-3. It just says "Digital Service" on second and third channels. Why is that & is there any way to fix this issue?

There is a thread that is asking for this info. Geronimo listed it.

Tuner sensitivity of OTA Module

What kind of performance are people getting from the OTA Module (I have 722k receiver)?

I get 2 channels (ABC sometimes and NBC, already HD in local channels lineup, defeating purpose of OTA Module) clearly vs. 40+ when connecting the same antenna directly to the TV.

So far, OTA Module seems like worthless poor quality manufacturing junk.

I suspect that you have something else causing your problem. I have an OTA module in my 722k and its sensitivity and over-all quality matches the tuner in my $7500 (Pioneer Elite) TV.

PS Nice first post, by the way. :rolleyes:

My simple terk 44 antenna runs from my sat dish and powers my 722k dual ota tuner module and my 211k tuner as well as ALL of my tv tuners on all 4 hd tvs and anything else that needs an antenna. I get the same strength on the ota module as well as my tv internal ota tuners. I receive all my ota local stations just fine in the area. I recommend my ota tuner module to anyone that has a 722k or 922 dvr .

I have the OTA module in each of my 2 722Ks & have no problems. I usually record my locals OTA even if they are available on Dish, but I get a lot of other in HD that are not in HD on Dish - PBS, Ion, CW.

What kind of performance are people getting from the OTA Module (I have 722k receiver)?

I get 2 channels (ABC sometimes and NBC, already HD in local channels lineup, defeating purpose of OTA Module) clearly vs. 40+ when connecting the same antenna directly to the TV.

As to defeating the purpose.. that may be true in your case... but I'm 75 miles outside Washington DC ... and two of my local sations (ABC & CBS) both offer additional channels that I can't get through dish. ABC & CBS HD2 channels are weather.. ABC's is like a continuous loop of local news feed weather info with commercials.. where as CBS offers Doppler Radar 24/7.

ABC's 3rd channel is ... well I don't know what call sign they've given it ... but its been playing old 80's & 90's TV shows.. Airwolf (after Jan Michael Vincent was replaced) Knight Rider .... plus some even older shows

I'm also picking up several PBS & Afiliates, plus local *local* stations which rebroadcast farmer reports, and other stuff.. and there's one that's also on Dish Uni something.. which had some interesting stuff..

Stuff I'd never really experienced until I had my first DTV.. YMMV (Your Milage May Very) but really... there are some pretty neat adds ons since the digital signal started up...

Just my bad luck?

Hmm, I tried multiple antennas on the OTA Module and my TV. Maybe I just got a dud OTA Module?!

I requested a replacement OTA Module; hope that fixes the problem since it's nonrefundable by Dish anyway and I'm out the cost whether it works or not.

Perhaps it's been discussed, but why aren't the receiving dishes now being manufactured with OTA antenna incorporated into them so that new receivers can just have one coaxial cable input with both the satellite and OTA signals (or have a splitter that separates them before they're plugged into the receiver)?! At least where my house sits, most of the OTA signals also come from the south/SSE direction so I could get better reception.

Hmm, I tried multiple antennas on the OTA Module and my TV. Maybe I just got a dud OTA Module?!

I requested a replacement OTA Module; hope that fixes the problem since it's nonrefundable by Dish anyway and I'm out the cost whether it works or not.

Perhaps it's been discussed, but why aren't the receiving dishes now being manufactured with OTA antenna incorporated into them so that new receivers can just have one coaxial cable input with both the satellite and OTA signals (or have a splitter that separates them before they're plugged into the receiver)?! At least where my house sits, most of the OTA signals also come from the south/SSE direction so I could get better reception.

Because not all places would be able to use the OTA built in a Dish. In Some places the locals need a larger antenna. Some places the signals come from different directions. Some areas have low VHF stations as well as Hi VHF & UHF. So there is no universal antenna that would work that well.

The now defunct VOOM service had the ota antenna included with the sat dish install. It worked well ,from what I remember people saying at the time. So instead of locals on the satellite , Voom allowed you to use the antenna portion to get your locals and satellite for everthing else. DISH did include some kind of antenna install or built in to the satellite dish itself, they could advertise :With DISH you can record 4 shows at a time ! When the 813 Xip receiver comes out with 3 satellite tuners , you are supposed to be able to add a dual ota usb tuner to the receiver and you can record 5 shows at a time. As usual it is only known by us here on the sat board and by word of mouth to our friends and family. Another missed selling point for DISH.

Looks to me like the OP just has a faulty OTA tuner. Mine, like the other responders, works as well...or better than the other tuners in the house.

Like here in the Seattle area, there are many spots in the Bay Area (OP's location) that don't have LOS to some or most OTA transmitters. The many hills can block LOS.

To OP. This is typical for the local subchannels. You can get the feed, but not the Guide infor. You have to set manual timers if you want to record from these. In my market, there is nothing I want to record from these.

I have a problem with two of my OTA local channels and wondering if anyone else has experienced this condition. These channels have wide signal strength variations ranging from 75-85 to loss of signal within a few seconds. I have 2 VIP722k receivers with the optional OTA modules and both have this condition. I've also monitored these signals using the digital tuner in a Mitsubishi TV and although the signal strength varies, I don't see the breakup, pixelation, and popup error messages that occurs using the sat receiver.

Any ideas? All other channels come in fine.

I have a problem with two of my OTA local channels and wondering if anyone else has experienced this condition. These channels have wide signal strength variations ranging from 75-85 to loss of signal within a few seconds. I have 2 VIP722k receivers with the optional OTA modules and both have this condition. I've also monitored these signals using the digital tuner in a Mitsubishi TV and although the signal strength varies, I don't see the breakup, pixelation, and popup error messages that occurs using the sat receiver.

Any ideas? All other channels come in fine.

This could be because the signal is being separated and becoming weaker a OTA channel amplifier could help,also if you haven't done this go to AntennaWeb check your antenna positioning with your address comparing where the broadcast towers are from your location, see if your running an antenna they recommend,and last but not least...Good Luck!:)

I don't think lack of signal strength is the problem. I have a high gain antenna and amp plus all other channels from the same antenna farm are fine. This same condition occurred several years ago with another local and all of the sudden the problem cleared without changing anything on my end. It's strange that the Dish receiver is affected but not the Mits. Both are coming off the same splitter meaning the signal strength to both is equal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)