Dish OTA Module

I don't think lack of signal strength is the problem. I have a high gain antenna and amp plus all other channels from the same antenna farm are fine. This same condition occurred several years ago with another local and all of the sudden the problem cleared without changing anything on my end. It's strange that the Dish receiver is affected but not the Mits. Both are coming off the same splitter meaning the signal strength to both is equal.

You could be having multipath issues for that you would need to do a trial and error.Trying you antenna at different heights...again..Good Luck!:)

I have a problem with two of my OTA local channels and wondering if anyone else has experienced this condition. These channels have wide signal strength variations ranging from 75-85 to loss of signal within a few seconds. I have 2 VIP722k receivers with the optional OTA modules and both have this condition. I've also monitored these signals using the digital tuner in a Mitsubishi TV and although the signal strength varies, I don't see the breakup, pixelation, and popup error messages that occurs using the sat receiver.

Any ideas? All other channels come in fine.

Perfect description of what multipath problems will do to you. The signal combines the different paths at times to cancel out the signal entirely. You need to see if there is another place to put you antenna that doesn't have the bouncing signals. Hop you ca find a better place as sometimes it is possible. This is the reason I hate metal roofs & siding on houses. The are really bad about causing just that problem.

I guess this is a possibility as I had multipath on analog before the switchover but not at the frequencies of these channels. Matter of fact, I had severe multipath on an analog channel making it almost unwatchable. After the switch to digital, this station reverted back to the same frequency as the analog channel and now it's one of my best channels. Go figure!

I've had my antenna at the same location for 15 years for both mostly good analog and excellent digital reception. This problem started just a few days ago. I suppose atmospheric conditions could also cause a problem due to distant stations interfering with locals.

Can any of the Dirt people here explain why my Mits HDTV does not have the same signal loss condition as my two 722Ks?

I had multi-path rejection problems on some of my locals using my terk 44 at first and recently again when one of my local stations changed frequency channels from digital 21.1 to 25.1. I played with my antenna till I had 100% on all 4 of the big networks . Now sometimes I get Abc coming in at 100 % on one of my ota tuners and I can be recording the same channel on the other tuner and it is coming in at 85%. No problems with drop outs on the lower strength tuner though. Also my tv and all other equipment is feed off the same antenna fed to a splitter and they do not show any drops in the signal strengths. I think the ota tuner ,because it does split into two tuners , can sometimes cause some signal differences and it might also suffer from some multi-path rejection issues. My Dad has the same terk 44 antenna on his dish 1000.2 sat dish that I installed too, and he had problems with the same local channel when it moved as well. I adjusted the antenna till I got the sweet spot for his 4 networks and he doesn't suffer anymore from signal problems. But all in all the ota tuner does work for me and my family just fine. I think many times the antenna itself and how it is adjusted or aimed is what can cause problems for the ota tuner in the dvr itself.

But in my situation, everything was perfect until just a few days ago when this wild signal strength variation started on both of my 722Ks. There was no change in antenna position or change in transmitter frequency.

But in my situation, everything was perfect until just a few days ago when this wild signal strength variation started on both of my 722Ks. There was no change in antenna position or change in transmitter frequency.

Something else has changed. Literally someone did something to their house like I mentioned earlier. Maybe someone installed metal roof or siding. Or there is say an apt complex going up that is causing reflection problems or third something in you line coming down from the antenna is going bad like a splitter or amplifier.

Something else has changed. Literally someone did something to their house like I mentioned earlier. Maybe someone installed metal roof or siding. Or there is say an apt complex going up that is causing reflection problems or third something in you line coming down from the antenna is going bad like a splitter or amplifier.

Actually, after just doing a recheck I find these two stations pretty stable this evening. There may be a possibility that I was experiencing co-channel interference. It's much harder to see what is going on with digital stations. It still doesn't explain why the Mits HDTV wasn't affected.

Could a poor or loose ground cause this as well?

Actually, after just doing a recheck I find these two stations pretty stable this evening. There may be a possibility that I was experiencing co-channel interference. It's much harder to see what is going on with digital stations. It still doesn't explain why the Mits HDTV wasn't affected.

Different tuners have different tolerances to multipath. Just by chance are the hi VHF band?

My OTA module in my 722K is also little more than a piece of junk. The tuner in my 4 year old $750 Vizio has much better reception and no "multipath" symptoms compared to the Dish Module.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In reply to SaltiDawg
PS Nice answer to a first post, by the way.

Last edited:
I have a problem with two of my OTA local channels and wondering if anyone else has experienced this condition. These channels have wide signal strength variations ranging from 75-85 to loss of signal within a few seconds. I have 2 VIP722k receivers with the optional OTA modules and both have this condition. I've also monitored these signals using the digital tuner in a Mitsubishi TV and although the signal strength varies, I don't see the breakup, pixelation, and popup error messages that occurs using the sat receiver.

Any ideas? All other channels come in fine.

Quick notes: When this post started I had all of your issues maybe a little worse or better hard to tell. You have not really listed if ant., was in atic or on roof. With or without amp and so on. After this post I decided to try some stuff to see if I could clear it up. Here's what I did. My ant., is in my garage inside rafters. Old one used to be on roof, got a new roof and ant.,Moved it inside have had those problems since about 7 months. Fixed problem by flipping the FM trap switch on AMP, and running a clean ground. On 6-1 one sig was 75-85 and floating around dropping out here and there. Not its 95- 100 and rock solid. Have checked it for about 5 days to be sure it was not just a fluke but is working well no more issues. Antenna I am useing ia a Diggy extreme fringe. Mybe this will give you some things to try. Also deleted dub channel in the OTA from other cites woundered about the multipath thing. Not sure I really understand that anyway. Peace

Quick notes: When this post started I had all of your issues maybe a little worse or better hard to tell. You have not really listed if ant., was in atic or on roof. With or without amp and so on. After this post I decided to try some stuff to see if I could clear it up. Here's what I did. My ant., is in my garage inside rafters. Old one used to be on roof, got a new roof and ant.,Moved it inside have had those problems since about 7 months. Fixed problem by flipping the FM trap switch on AMP, and running a clean ground. On 6-1 one sig was 75-85 and floating around dropping out here and there. Not its 95- 100 and rock solid. Have checked it for about 5 days to be sure it was not just a fluke but is working well no more issues. Antenna I am useing ia a Diggy extreme fringe. Mybe this will give you some things to try. Also deleted dub channel in the OTA from other cites woundered about the multipath thing. Not sure I really understand that anyway. Peace

Thanks for your input. To provide more details I have a fringe antenna mounted in a 3rd floor attic and have an inline amp which is used to distribute antenna signals to 2- 722K and a Mits HDTV. My home is about 34 miles from the local area antenna farm, which includes the transmitters for 9 digital channels. Living near the east coast, the terrain is pretty flat. For about 2 years, this system worked without problem until up to about a week ago, when I started to get the wild swings in signal strength on 2 of the 9 channels. This problem has not been consistent during this period. Sometimes, the loss of signal message may not appear in an evening and others it occurs several times a minute plus pixelation, etc. Weather conditions are fine. No storms during this period. There are no new structures in my area to change multipath conditions. There is a nearby water tower, which caused serious multipath problems when watching hi-VHF analog channels but caused no problem with the UHF stations. Now, one of the local stations is using the same hi-VHF frequency for transmitting digital. Before, the change over, I couldn't watch the analog signal but now the digital signal is one of my best channels and is not one of the two I'm having a problem with.

I don't believe this problem is caused by multipath, but some other transmission anomaly. Plus the Mits HDTV is not affected by the condition.

Thanks for your input. To provide more details I have a fringe antenna mounted in a 3rd floor attic and have an inline amp which is used to distribute antenna signals to 2- 722K and a Mits HDTV. My home is about 34 miles from the local area antenna farm, which includes the transmitters for 9 digital channels. Living near the east coast, the terrain is pretty flat. For about 2 years, this system worked without problem until up to about a week ago, when I started to get the wild swings in signal strength on 2 of the 9 channels. This problem has not been consistent during this period. Sometimes, the loss of signal message may not appear in an evening and others it occurs several times a minute plus pixelation, etc. Weather conditions are fine. No storms during this period. There are no new structures in my area to change multipath conditions. There is a nearby water tower, which caused serious multipath problems when watching hi-VHF analog channels but caused no problem with the UHF stations. Now, one of the local stations is using the same hi-VHF frequency for transmitting digital. Before, the change over, I couldn't watch the analog signal but now the digital signal is one of my best channels and is not one of the two I'm having a problem with.

I don't believe this problem is caused by multipath, but some other transmission anomaly. Plus the Mits HDTV is not affected by the condition.

The Mits is irrelevant to the situation "It has a different tuner with different characteristics" Thing is you have a deep fringe antenna and are only 34 miles away from the towers. Then you have an amplifier on it too. So try removing the amplifier and going with a splitter instead. You may be distorting the signal with the amp. Now as far as it only happening recently I answer that with you have warmer weather now and there could be inversion layer (will cause atmospheric bounce) that you don't get in winter when it is much cooler. So just try and see if by switching out the amp helps. Can't hurt to try but it just might help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)