Dish Pause for weekend home

Taylork

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Texas
I am confused. First, I have an existing account with Dish, and want Dish at a weekend home. So, I talked with a CSR who said I could have a new account for my new weekend place (ranch) and use Pause Account. In other words, I didn't want to pay for a full "load" if I wasn't there all the time, instead, I understood under pause I would be charged only for the time we use it (say over a weekend or a week at a time), in pro rata form.
Yet, reading some of the posts within Satguys, pause account is only used if I am away for some time, up to 6 months.

Any help? Seemed like the pause pro rata, if it worked, would be great for me (I know there is a $5/mo charge) under my kinda weird scenario. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Taylork said:
I am confused. First, I have an existing account with Dish, and want Dish at a weekend home. So, I talked with a CSR who said I could have a new account for my new weekend place (ranch) and use Pause Account. In other words, I didn't want to pay for a full "load" if I wasn't there all the time, instead, I understood under pause I would be charged only for the time we use it (say over a weekend or a week at a time), in pro rata form.
Yet, reading some of the posts within Satguys, pause account is only used if I am away for some time, up to 6 months.

Any help? Seemed like the pause pro rata, if it worked, would be great for me (I know there is a $5/mo charge) under my kinda weird scenario. Thanks in advance.

If there isn't an instance where TV will be watched in both locations at the same time, you might want to consider just taking a receiver back and forth. My understanding is that others here do this and it is not considered account stacking.

Dish Pause can only be used once in a 12 month period so I don't think that's what you probably want. The vacation home exception is when you transfer your service to your vacation home and then back like some of us do between our usual homes and winter homes for example. You must have all your active receivers with you when you go to the vacation home. It really isn't designed for weekending. As has been mentioned, some just put up an antenna at the weekend house and just take a receiver back and forth. It is technically against terms of service but since Charlie talked about doing it some time back on Charlie Chat, that has been taken as a greenlight for doing the same.

There's the Flex account so you pay only for when you use it, but I don't know how it works for sure. It may be in one month increments. Lots of stuff streams these days, so if you have broadband internet and OTA available at the weekend place, you might not need DBS.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts. I had not heard of the flex account, but it seems like I am still not getting what I hoped for with a kind of "turn on/turn off" type of service. I had thought about the moving of a receiver out there for a weekend, but I don't have the new dish (the new place has a 500 dish antenna, not the 1000.2 (I think). Any other help is sincerely appreciated!

Thanks for the thoughts. I had not heard of the flex account, but it seems like I am still not getting what I hoped for with a kind of "turn on/turn off" type of service. I had thought about the moving of a receiver out there for a weekend, but I don't have the new dish (the new place has a 500 dish antenna, not the 1000.2 (I think). Any other help is sincerely appreciated!

You may be interested in a "Snowbird" account, this way you only have one account. What you would do is take ALL (don't know how many you have) receivers with you to your weekend home, and call us to change the physical address on the account each time you go, and come back.

If you have any more questions about how a snowbird account works, feel free to ask (we would even set up a mover so that you get the new dish at your weekend home).

The other option is setting up the flex account for your second home, which you can turn on and off as you choose (equipment would be purchased).

If you can get MattG to set up a snowbird account and the Dishmover, I would do that in a heartbeat. Most CSRs don't seem to want to do it for weekend homes. That's what I have for my IL and FL houses. You just have to take all your active receivers with you in case you get an audit call.

If you can get MattG to set up a snowbird account and the Dishmover, I would do that in a heartbeat. Most CSRs don't seem to want to do it for weekend homes. That's what I have for my IL and FL houses. You just have to take all your active receivers with you in case you get an audit call.

ALL OF THEM? Seriously....what do you do FEDX your boxes back and forth?

That is a serious pain...we simply bring a 1 DVR up to the cabin and bring it back at the end of the stay.

I think this may be illegal to the letter of the law but falls well within the spirit of the law IMHO.

ALL OF THEM? Seriously....what do you do FEDX your boxes back and forth?

That is a serious pain...we simply bring a 1 DVR up to the cabin and bring it back at the end of the stay.

I think this may be illegal to the letter of the law but falls well within the spirit of the law IMHO.

I drive back and forth and only have a couple so it really isn't much of a bother. But yes for some it would be an issue if they had them all over the house. I'd guess that's a small number though. Some people do ship their receivers. If I were just weekending not far from home, I'd likely just take a receiver back and forth and risk the audit call. The advantage of the snowbird is that you get Dish to install the antenna, usually at no charge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)