Dish Payment Enforcement

I don't have a problem telling a customer that hardly ever pays his or her bill on time, that i can do anything with out taking a payment for the full balance. Unfortunately I have to tell the same thing to a customer who may have lost his or her job, or who may have had a debt or credit card stolen, or someone who has been in the hospital for a while. If it was up to me the people who truly needed help because of financial hardship would be treated differently than someone who is trying to milk the system. However, it is not up to me and I have to treat all customers who are past due the same (no matter what the reason is), or I could loose my job.

And in the theme of making this thread ramble about, y'all hear the Soup Nazi is reopening?

Well, since the topic is pointless anyway, I'm gonna go ahead and go off-topic.

I have to say, those who think Jerry Seinfeld's stand-up "sucks" or whatever, are definitely in the minority, seeing as Seinfeld was the most-watched sitcom of the 90s. It's also in the top 10 syndicated programs, even to this day.

Yeah, I heard about the Soup Nazi, and funnily enough he doesn't like Seinfeld either haha. He also hates being called the Soup Nazi.

What gets me is I've been a long time customer of Dish, well at least we are off contract. Well this last month we ran into financial difficulties, and the truth is it's only TV and not a priority, so we let the service get disconnected :( Anyway since our service has been disconnected DISH feels they are entitled to continue to bill us for a full months service which we may have had 6 days of viewing. And I checked the account and they have already billed us for another month of service which isn't even here yet. At the time of disconnect we only owed around $100. Got a call today saying we needed to make a payment for around $200, and here in a week or two we are going to have to make a payment for around $300. Now it doesn't bother me to not receive service for not making a payment, that's a no brained, what bothers me is to keep getting billed while we aren't receiving service. That's like me doing a construction project for a customer and billing them for work I have done, then let's say it rains for a couple days or a week then I just go ahead and bill them for work I could have done but didn't do because it rained. Trust me billing for something I could have done won't fly. The reps wan' t me to pay for service I haven't received and say they will prorate it later but can't tell me how much credit I will receive, I don't like that. If you get water, electric or anything like that disconnected the meter stops and you don't get billed for utilities you didn't use just because you might have used them. There are several options available to us and I'm even considering small claims cort if we continue to get billed for services we haven't received. I really hate getting bullied by companies like Dish. It might be time to go back to DTV. Trust me I will pay and I can pay and get service reinstated but I don't like the really small prorated credits Dish gives out. Heck we lowered our package and got our package lowered instantly but we still payed the rate of the higher package for about 5 months after our package was lowered. Dish just acts like you can't match the dates you are billed for with the service you receive for those months. Just getting sick of it.

What gets me is I've been a long time customer of Dish, well at least we are off contract. Well this last month we ran into financial difficulties, and the truth is it's only TV and not a priority, so we let the service get disconnected :( Anyway since our service has been disconnected DISH feels they are entitled to continue to bill us for a full months service which we may have had 6 days of viewing. And I checked the account and they have already billed us for another month of service which isn't even here yet. At the time of disconnect we only owed around $100. Got a call today saying we needed to make a payment for around $200, and here in a week or two we are going to have to make a payment for around $300. Now it doesn't bother me to not receive service for not making a payment, that's a no brained, what bothers me is to keep getting billed while we aren't receiving service. That's like me doing a construction project for a customer and billing them for work I have done, then let's say it rains for a couple days or a week then I just go ahead and bill them for work I could have done but didn't do because it rained. Trust me billing for something I could have done won't fly. The reps wan' t me to pay for service I haven't received and say they will prorate it later but can't tell me how much credit I will receive, I don't like that. If you get water, electric or anything like that disconnected the meter stops and you don't get billed for utilities you didn't use just because you might have used them. There are several options available to us and I'm even considering small claims cort if we continue to get billed for services we haven't received. I really hate getting bullied by companies like Dish. It might be time to go back to DTV. Trust me I will pay and I can pay and get service reinstated but I don't like the really small prorated credits Dish gives out. Heck we lowered our package and got our package lowered instantly but we still payed the rate of the higher package for about 5 months after our package was lowered. Dish just acts like you can't match the dates you are billed for with the service you receive for those months. Just getting sick of it.
I know this is the Dish forum but just wanted to say that DirecTV isn't any better than Dish. Last year I called to stop service with them after losing half our income and they pulled the same thing with my account. I called before the billing date and was assured service would stop on a specific date, that my account was paid up and that I would not be billed for anything further. When the service didn't shut off when it was supposed to I called and found out that they had indeed billed for another month and no amount of explaining could get things straightened out. So I got to pay for and "enjoy" an extra month of service that I didn't want and couldn't afford.:mad:

There's not enough detail here to really reply, but I can tell you, you will NOT be charged for service you do not use. There may be a "crossing in the mail" on the bill versus the time it was disconnected. Also, Dish has two types of disconnection. In the short term disconnect, in order to restart the service, you pay anywhere between the past due amount and the total amount due, and Dish will turn things back on. Now, if you only pay the past due, you will still have a leftover balance. If the service is off a good while (measured in months), what you have to pay to restart is the past due balance (that will be the balance for time up to the date the service was cut off, which is likely LESS than the previous bill), and then you have to pay for your next month of service in advance.

Your post has a lot of "around" amounts, no dates, so beyond the info I gave, it's hard to really comment on your situation. If you chose to give all the details, folks could do so. But on the face, the things you are saying are incorrect. You do say something about "The reps wan' t me to pay for service I haven't received". Yes...you pay in advance for your service. That's the way Dish works.

You have a choice. Either restart the service, cancel it, or let it go into a permanent disconnect. The restart will take into account the past due balance as of the shutoff. If you cancel it, a final bill will show a revised final due amount, based on the actual date of the shutoff. And the third option is much like the second...the final bill will show the final due based on the time of the shutoff (plus any early termination fees that may be due). Talking about small claims court is wasting your breath, because depending how long since the service shut off, the next bill will show a revision based on the actual time it was shut off. If that was a month ago, you're too close to that date for the next bill to come out and show it.

I do hope your rant made you feel better, because with the lack of actual info, nobody can really comment on your particular situation.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way, shape, or form.

There's not enough detail here to really reply, but I can tell you, you will NOT be charged for service you do not use. There may be a "crossing in the mail" on the bill versus the time it was disconnected. Also, Dish has two types of disconnection. In the short term disconnect, in order to restart the service, you pay anywhere between the past due amount and the total amount due, and Dish will turn things back on. Now, if you only pay the past due, you will still have a leftover balance. If the service is off a good while (measured in months), what you have to pay to restart is the past due balance (that will be the balance for time up to the date the service was cut off, which is likely LESS than the previous bill), and then you have to pay for your next month of service in advance.

Your post has a lot of "around" amounts, no dates, so beyond the info I gave, it's hard to really comment on your situation. If you chose to give all the details, folks could do so. But on the face, the things you are saying are incorrect. You do say something about "The reps wan' t me to pay for service I haven't received". Yes...you pay in advance for your service. That's the way Dish works.

You have a choice. Either restart the service, cancel it, or let it go into a permanent disconnect. The restart will take into account the past due balance as of the shutoff. If you cancel it, a final bill will show a revised final due amount, based on the actual date of the shutoff. And the third option is much like the second...the final bill will show the final due based on the time of the shutoff (plus any early termination fees that may be due). Talking about small claims court is wasting your breath, because depending how long since the service shut off, the next bill will show a revision based on the actual time it was shut off. If that was a month ago, you're too close to that date for the next bill to come out and show it.

I do hope your rant made you feel better, because with the lack of actual info, nobody can really comment on your particular situation.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way, shape, or form.

Why not just be responsible and call Dish when you can't afford it anymore and ask what they can do for you. You may be able to lower your bill or even put it on pause for $5 a month. If those options do not work then just cancel service and sign back up after 60 days as a former customer and get all the new promotions. I know you think you're getting screwed by Dish but you went about this the wrong way.

I would normally have plenty to say about the topic except this is over a 4 year old thread. Who knows what the current policy is now or if it ever was what was reported.

As far as currently, it is not ok for agents to hang up on a customer, unless the customer gives permission. They are to get their supervisor involved, and the supervisor can decide at that point if it is professional to at that time. And just reaching an impasse on paying typically isn't one of them. If the customer is violent and abusive, that's another story.

I would normally have plenty to say about the topic except this is over a 4 year old thread. Who knows what the current policy is now or if it ever was what was reported.
Yeh. It takes more time to dig up a years old thread than to start a fresh one. I don't get some people's mindsets.

Reactions: Tampa8
Isn't there a topic search button? That's probably how they found it...TBH
First of all, the site search leaves a lot to be desired, even with the new software. Faster to just Google. Second, he would probably have to sift through several pages to find a four year old thread...and probably did a lot of hit and missing on each one to find one. Lots of wasted time.

Well, since the topic is pointless anyway, I'm gonna go ahead and go off-topic.

I have to say, those who think Jerry Seinfeld's stand-up "sucks" or whatever, are definitely in the minority, seeing as Seinfeld was the most-watched sitcom of the 90s. It's also in the top 10 syndicated programs, even to this day.

Yeah, I heard about the Soup Nazi, and funnily enough he doesn't like Seinfeld either haha. He also hates being called the Soup Nazi.
Just as Jason Alexander will always be identified as "George Costanza" so will the actor that played the part of the "Soup Nazi" will be typecast in the same manner.

Well, I closed my DISH account on August 2 and have been watching OTA. I was not billed any additional services and I have sold off all my owned equipment. I was a DISH customer for 11 years and I ALWAYS paid my bill on time and if I had a problem and called about something it was always taken care of. I NEVER paid a dime more for anything. I had to have a 922 replaced 6 times and I was NEVER charged for a replacement. I had a couple of tech visits over the years and once again never paid a dime for those. Oh, and I NEVER had to protection plan. So, I can say I was a happy customer while I was with them, but grew tired of paying for a huge amount of channels I never watched and could live with out. As had been stated here, it is ONLY television. While, my monthly bill was small in comparison to many here, A single 922 controlling two televisions and the AT-200 package, I was treated like a KING by DISH. Just sorry they became too expensive for my tastes so I moved on and am now saving myself $86 a month.

Reactions: Tampa8
paid tv service is a luxury service you do not need it to live, people need to get their priorities in order.
for example I dont have enough digits to count the number of places I have installed dish into that dont even have running water.
/smh and facepalms at the same time.

Reactions: KazooGuy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)