Dish PC Card

Well I'm asking about a new one that's supposed to work with Media Center and Windows Vista. Just curious if someone here knew more about it.

Any other info on it?
The hardware for both E* and D* is assumed to be complete. What remains is some way of protecting the content providers from unfettered public distribution of recorded content. The assumption was that Micro$soft would provide the DRM portion of the software, but they've demonstrated repeatedly that they aren't up to the task of keeping things safe.

I'm guessing that these projects will remain on hold until the DRM issues are resolved to the content provider's satisfaction.

The hardware for both E* and D* is assumed to be complete. What remains is some way of protecting the content providers from unfettered public distribution of recorded content. The assumption was that Micro$soft would provide the DRM portion of the software, but they've demonstrated repeatedly that they aren't up to the task.

I'm guessing that these projects will remain on hold until the DRM issues are resolved to the content providers satisfaction.

It's a shame, I would love to have a linux box with a DishPVR card and something like MythTV.

Microsoft had similar issues with Cable Card support in Media Center. Supposidly, Vista will support Cable Card so there's a possibility it may support Dish and DTV as well.

I think with dish putting a DRM flag on certin channels is a clue twards this. Allthough right now its geared twards external drives, who's to say that they cant gear this twards a PCI card too. I would love to see a pci card that can do mp4 hd on my computer from dish. I would be willing to invest into it.

I think with dish putting a DRM flag on certin channels is a clue twards this. Allthough right now its geared twards external drives, who's to say that they cant gear this twards a PCI card too. I would love to see a pci card that can do mp4 hd on my computer from dish. I would be willing to invest into it.
I thought this was a dead issue long ago. Now you give me hope!

After all, doesn't the 921 have a pair of PCI cards that are 8PSK DVB/Dish receivers?

Nay, those two sub PCBs soldered to main PCB, and there are two empty slots [MCA type ?] for future expansion.
Now a future for the DVR does not exist :(.
It was darn good platform - HD, Linux, FireWire, expansion slots ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts