Dish Pixelating Fixed

Jerold Harvey

Original poster
Dec 5, 2020
miami-dade
To make a long story short (see the long story below if you are interested) to fix the pixelating problem all you have to do is insist Dish replace your old receiver with a new one.

About 3 months ago my Dish system began pixelating on a daily basis and I had to reset the main receiver and three joeys every day and sometimes more than once a day. I called and complained to Dish. They instructed me to reset everything. I told them I had the Dish system for 6-7 years and never had this problem ever before. I told them that I had been resetting the receiver (Hopper 3) and Joeys for a month and that it did not fix the pixelating problem. Finally, after resetting everything again while on the phone with Dish tech they told me if the problem continued to call them back. The next day I called Dish back and told them I still had the same pixelating problem and asked them to send a technician to my house to fix the system. They told me that it would cost $90 to have a technician come to my house since I did not have a service contract that costs about $10 a month. I told them that I was not going to pay for Dish to fix their equipment which I do not own according to their contract and only lease. Finally a supervisor told me they would give me 90 days free service if I signed up for the yearly service contract and that I could cancel it within 90 without charge. I said ok since basically that meant I would not have to pay the $90 service fee they wanted. The next day a technician came to my house. He tested the receiver and told me there was nothing wrong with it and that the test results said it was a weather related problem. I told him it hadn't rained too much for nearly 2 months and that it pixelated rain or shine. He then proceeded to put new connectors on most of the wire connections and said that there must be a loose connection somewhere. That evening the same exact pixelating occurred and I had to reset the receiver and 3 Joeys again. I called Dish and asked that they send a new, and different, technician because the first technician apparently did not know what to do. I suggested that perhaps the receiver was at fault and that perhaps the receiver was providing inaccurate test result data. The next day they sent a different technician. This technician also did a receiver check and said the receiver was indicating there was a weather related problem. I pointed out that it was a sunny day. This technician then suggested perhaps the pixelating problem was from the OTA antenna that Dish installed for free a about six months before when they lost our local Miami local Fox affiliate (channel 7) due to Dish refusing to renegotiate a new contract whit Fox. I pointed out that the pixelating started a well after the OTA antenna was installed and suggested again that the problem was with the receiver and that it should be replaced. The technician said he had already relayed to his office that it was a weather related problem but after begging him he said he'd replace the receiver with a new one he had in his truck. He then replaced the receiver and for three month now I have had absolutely no pixelating problem. So I have now concluded that there is a giant Dish conspiracy to deny their receivers (Hopper) are defective need to be replaced when a pixelating problem occurs. So call Dish if you are having a pixelating problem, read them this post, and demand they give you a new receiver Hopper 3. You are all welcome.

To make a long story short (see the long story below if you are interested) to fix the pixelating problem all you have to do is insist Dish replace your old receiver with a new one.

About 3 months ago my Dish system began pixelating on a daily basis and I had to reset the main receiver and three joeys every day and sometimes more than once a day. I called and complained to Dish. They instructed me to reset everything. I told them I had the Dish system for 6-7 years and never had this problem ever before. I told them that I had been resetting the receiver (Hopper 3) and Joeys for a month and that it did not fix the pixelating problem. Finally, after resetting everything again while on the phone with Dish tech they told me if the problem continued to call them back. The next day I called Dish back and told them I still had the same pixelating problem and asked them to send a technician to my house to fix the system. They told me that it would cost $90 to have a technician come to my house since I did not have a service contract that costs about $10 a month. I told them that I was not going to pay for Dish to fix their equipment which I do not own according to their contract and only lease. Finally a supervisor told me they would give me 90 days free service if I signed up for the yearly service contract and that I could cancel it within 90 without charge. I said ok since basically that meant I would not have to pay the $90 service fee they wanted. The next day a technician came to my house. He tested the receiver and told me there was nothing wrong with it and that the test results said it was a weather related problem. I told him it hadn't rained too much for nearly 2 months and that it pixelated rain or shine. He then proceeded to put new connectors on most of the wire connections and said that there must be a loose connection somewhere. That evening the same exact pixelating occurred and I had to reset the receiver and 3 Joeys again. I called Dish and asked that they send a new, and different, technician because the first technician apparently did not know what to do. I suggested that perhaps the receiver was at fault and that perhaps the receiver was providing inaccurate test result data. The next day they sent a different technician. This technician also did a receiver check and said the receiver was indicating there was a weather related problem. I pointed out that it was a sunny day. This technician then suggested perhaps the pixelating problem was from the OTA antenna that Dish installed for free a about six months before when they lost our local Miami local Fox affiliate (channel 7) due to Dish refusing to renegotiate a new contract whit Fox. I pointed out that the pixelating started a well after the OTA antenna was installed and suggested again that the problem was with the receiver and that it should be replaced. The technician said he had already relayed to his office that it was a weather related problem but after begging him he said he'd replace the receiver with a new one he had in his truck. He then replaced the receiver and for three month now I have had absolutely no pixelating problem. So I have now concluded that there is a giant Dish conspiracy to deny their receivers (Hopper) are defective need to be replaced when a pixelating problem occurs. So call Dish if you are having a pixelating problem, read them this post, and demand they give you a new receiver Hopper 3. You are all welcome.
Great news for u. Glad u didn't throw the towel and cancel the service. I understand the technicians try to save the old unit (which u don't own!). But, it shouldn't take few trips to replace the darn thing. Unless u had a power surge, the weather shouldn't ruin the equipment. Enjoy and thanks for taking your time to tell us your story.

Reactions: charlesrshell

My wife said she thought this was me that posted this as we are mid stream in your exact story. We will be calling dish today for a Hopper replacement. The last tech said we have clear sight for all three sats and after changing our dish for a new one with no change in pixillation, he would have is supervisor call us for the next step and no one has called for over a week. Will post results.

My understanding is the reason the Hopper itself seems to fix the pixel issue is because the hard drives wears out. Everything you view goes thru the hard drive. That's why you can rewind or whatever. Bad sectors or segments wear out. When video runs over those areas you get the pixels. Problem is it can mimic a storm, bird, bad cable switch whatever. So they run a HD test if it checks out they don't replace the Hopper. This does not mean there is not a problem with it. So just insist they replace it and they will. Especially if you have been dropping 100/150/200 a month and are in good standing. (Good Credit) lol. Good luck.. Sometimes after a post is made there are people who need to correct a technical issue that is stated. I am summarizing and concede any correction to the lifers on the site. Have a great day!

Actually I would say it's more probable that it is a power supply issue I've noticed on mine that I'm getting weak LNB spikes from time to time with no weather issues, so I'm pretty sure that my Hopper is have problems supporting the LNB's. It's more likely that the power supply is fluctuating then the HDD acting randomly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts