Dish Pointing

strak82

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Maine
Hi,

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I'm new to all this. Recently I signed up for the America's Everything Pack with HD in northern Maine (222k receiver). I did not want the installers coming to my house as it already had a Dish 500 on it. Anyway I'm using the Dish 500 now but want to upgrade to an Eastern Arc dish (which I have but have not hooked up) to get more HD. My question is, do I need to call Dish to do anything or do I just need to install the new dish (Eastern Arc), connect it to the receiver and off I go? Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks again.

To aim a 1000.4 you probably need far more experience than you have. I suggest you call DISH and pay for the install seeing you are now an existing customer.

But assuming that he does aim it successfully, if his HD package is already activated then he doesn't need to call Dish to change the antenna configuration, just run the check switch routine on the receiver. (Actually he'll probably need to do this before he tries to aim it.)

But assuming that he does aim it successfully, if his HD package is already activated then he doesn't need to call Dish to change the antenna configuration, just run the check switch routine on the receiver. (Actually he'll probably need to do this before he tries to aim it.)

Theoretically the installer will know how to install a 1k4 correctly, but thanks for the skepticism. If you install it yourself, get someone to read signal strengths to you as you point it, don't expect to get to much higher than 40s but do your best. It won't be easy because I don't know if the receiver will give you accurate signal strengths on those sats without check-switching them in, and you have to run a check switch with no sats hooked up before running it on the 1k4. Other than that I can't help you much since I would just use one of my meters.

Thanks for the replies guys, I decided to get someone to install it. Just curious though, with the Dish 500 I have installed already, could that be re-aimed that to pick up 61.5 and 72.7? Thanks again for the replies.

It could be aimed to grab either ONE Of those sats with a new LNB and bracket.

Why don't you want a tech to come hook up the sat that you are paying for, correctly? If you try to hook it up, and screw it up...and then need a tech to come out, it will probably be that much MORE work/time for a tech to undo what you tried to do. It pisses me off when I get to a house and see what someone tried to do, when its a small fee to have a tech come out and do it right. Just have a tech come out and do it right the first time and be done with it.

It could be aimed to grab either ONE Of those sats with a new LNB and bracket.

Why don't you want a tech to come hook up the sat that you are paying for, correctly? If you try to hook it up, and screw it up...and then need a tech to come out, it will probably be that much MORE work/time for a tech to undo what you tried to do. It pisses me off when I get to a house and see what someone tried to do, when its a small fee to have a tech come out and do it right. Just have a tech come out and do it right the first time and be done with it.

Did you read his last post? He said he is going to have someone come install it.

Is it even possible to aim a 1000.x without a meter? It's difficult enough with one.

When the local company installed mine, they did it with one guy watching the signal strength meter on my TV and yelling out the window to the other one :rolleyes: When the same company, different installer, did my Dish 500 + 300 a few years ago, he at least brought a portable TV and a Dish 311 or something lightweight and took them up on the roof with him.

I ran all the RG-6 inside my house myself. The installer just had to do the dish. Since the op already has a Dish 500 he probably has all the inside wiring done.

I can see the reasons for doing it yourself. I have an old house and getting the wiring around via basement, crawlspaces, attics is something I wanted done a certain way. So, the easiest way was to do it myself. It also significantely shortens the time needed for the install. I did not want to hang out in the house for hours while the wriring was being done. They were able to set the Dish in about 15 minutes and inside took about 5 minutes per receiver. The whole install was done in less than an hour. Since then I have put in my own dishes pretty much as a hobby (I have 5 DBS dishes, but I am down to just using 110/119/129 on one dish). Dish used to change satellites all the time, so I had fun installing 61.5/105/121/129 through the years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts