Dish pq vs direct

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So Im hearing that direct is better for sports, dish for all other programing. Pq MAY be slighty better on direct, but the dish interface is way better. Sound about right?

Pretty much. Some people will say otherwise but this is the general consensus.

EDIT: isaacmorseMI beat me to it but one more opinion can't hurt.

So Im hearing that direct is better for sports, dish for all other programing. Pq MAY be slighty better on direct, but the dish interface is way better. Sound about right?

I agree with this also. I have both.

I also have both. Direc has the better picture. To me direcs picture has the wow factor.
While it's not a "big" difference in pq
Direcs picture really is better.

I also have both. Direc has the better picture. To me direcs picture has the wow factor.

No offense, but I have seen a couple of posts of yours stating that U-verse has just as good of a picture as DISH. I had both at one point and there is a DEFINITE difference between the two. U-verse HD is atrocious. It is only a small step above SD. Any time there is fast motion there is macroblocking that is VERY distracting. DISH and U-verse HD are night and day IMO.

So based on your conclusion about U-verse, again, no offense, but I take your D*/E* HD claims with a grain of salt. I have seen D* and I agree with most of the people in this topic in that D* has slightly better PQ than E*.

having switched from e* to d* i dont see much diff in pq
the e* dvrs are faster
but the d* dvrs have tons more functions

The wow factor...really... ROFL?!? Neither of them have the wow factor. They lost that years ago.

BD is the only real wow factor remaining today.

So based on your conclusion about U-verse, again, no offense, but I take your D*/E* HD claims with a grain of salt. I have seen D* and I agree with most of the people in this topic in that D* has slightly better PQ than E*.
:confused:

And yet you totally agree with him?

The HD is hands down superior on DirecTV.. but so is the SD. Dish uses an edge sharpening technology to make the SD edges a bit sharper, but it may also creating more artifacts. DirecTV's SD might not be as 'sharp', but it's a whole lot more watchable since you don't see any black blocks smudging around in the shadows.

I'm even DVR'ing SD programming that I would not want to sit through with Dish.

And yet you totally agree with him?

I was disagreeing with the "wow factor" comment.

Looks like my prediction was right though. The general consensus says "slightly better HD on D*" yet 2 people say its a major difference. I'd still be more inclined to believe the general consensus, as well as my own eyes.

Last edited:
It also depends on the receiver. There was a wow factor upgrading from the 622 to the 922. The 622 picture is very soft compared to the 922. The 922 has a much better scaler than the 622 does, so essentially all the HD tends to look much better given all the scaling Dish does by having most of the HD channels not 1920x1080.

The HD is hands down superior on DirecTV.. but so is the SD. Dish uses an edge sharpening technology to make the SD edges a bit sharper, but it may also creating more artifacts. DirecTV's SD might not be as 'sharp', but it's a whole lot more watchable since you don't see any black blocks smudging around in the shadows.

I'm even DVR'ing SD programming that I would not want to sit through with Dish.

I don't know what kind of bizarro world you are from, but here on this planet, D* SD is downrezzed to 480x480 and then compressed until it resembles a bad youtube video or VHS tape. Dish SD is 720x480 and uses better MPEG4 compression, at least here on the eastern arc. Artifacts are nowhere near what they are on D*. If you see artificial sharpening, you need to adjust your tv because Dish certainly isn't doing that at all.

It also depends on the receiver. There was a wow factor upgrading from the 622 to the 922. The 622 picture is very soft compared to the 922. The 922 has a much better scaler than the 622 does, so essentially all the HD tends to look much better given all the scaling Dish does by having most of the HD channels not 1920x1080.

I have 2 722Ks which have the same scaler as the 922. Personally I wouldn't call it "wow factor" but maybe I'm just spoiled by Blu-ray and HD Internet content.

Dish SD is 720x480

Pretty sure EA SD is 480x480 H.264. WA SD is 544x480 MPEG2. Most people say EA SD looks better. I say on an HD receiver they are about the same. Using an SD receiver on an HDTV with WA looks kinda bad, mainly with "mosquito noise." Overall I am pretty satisfied with the SD quality. Want a better picture? Switch to an HD channel. No use wasting bandwidth on making SD look better. It still looks really decent on the old SD tubes.

... Dish uses an edge sharpening technology to make the SD edges a bit sharper, but it may also creating more artifacts. ....
Really? I Googled "Dish edge sharpening technology " and the only place in cyberspace that returns on this is your post????

I've read it referred to on a few message boards.. But you're arguing about vapors anyways. My point still stands. Directv is hands down the superior provider.

I've read it referred to on a few message boards.. But you're arguing about vapors anyways. My point still stands. Directv is hands down the superior provider.
But the statements you make to back up your claim are false. HD is technically better on D*, but visually most people see little or no difference. Contrary to your research and experience, Dish SD is significantly better than D* SD. As far as who's the superior provider generally, each is superior in different areas, so you can't say one is "hands down" superior to the other. Dish has much more basic HD, better SD, more OTA in the guide, more responsive DVR's, lower priced basic packages, better remote DVR management, better remote viewing (sling), better remotes and lower cost for small systems. D* has more sports, more PPV, more premiums, MRV, lower cost for large systems, full HD resolution, and more DVR functions (quick tune, more program info, better search tools, etc.). A reasonable person would weigh all these facts and make a decision based on which features and capabilities are most important to them.

But the statements you make to back up your claim are false. HD is technically better on D*, but visually most people see little or no difference. Contrary to your research and experience, Dish SD is significantly better than D* SD. As far as who's the superior provider generally, each is superior in different areas. Dish has much more basic HD, better SD, more OTA in the guide, more responsive DVR's, lower priced basic packages, better remote DVR management, better remote viewing (sling), better remotes and lower cost for 2 TV systems. D* has more sports, more PPV, more premiums, MRV, lower cost for large systems, full HD resolution, and more DVR functions (quick tune, more program info, better search tools, etc.). A reasonable person would weigh all these facts and make a decision based on which features and capabilities are most important to them.

you forgot d* has better customer service, and better relations with broadcasters(they dont drop channels nearly as often) and more free previews

you forgot d* has better customer service, and better relations with broadcasters(they dont drop channels nearly as often) and more free previews

Not according to my brother, who said that D* has the worst CSR's ever. I tend to agree as I used to have and work for a distributor of it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.