DISH presents new Amazon Alexa controls for Hopper

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH presents new Amazon Alexa controls for Hopper
June 12, 2018

- Adds new Alexa voice control capabilities for Hopper, Hopper Duo, Joey and Wally
- Customers can now set a recording, launch apps like Netflix and YouTube, and open menus like Home, Guide and DVR using their voice
- Compatible with Alexa-enabled devices, including the new Fire TV Cube

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., June 12, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- DISH today introduced new Amazon Alexa voice capabilities that give customers the ability to set recordings, launch apps and navigate menus on Hopper family set-top boxes. This update enhances the Hands-Free TV™ experience by building on DISH's existing Alexa voice functions, including the ability to play, pause, fast-forward, rewind and search content.

Alexa_2_0_Commands_Image_FINAL.jpg

"We are working to create the best Hands-Free TV options for our customers, and these new voice capabilities are an important step in that direction," said Niraj Desai, DISH vice president of product management. "DISH customers already love the convenience that our Alexa compatibility brings to their home, so we're continuously identifying popular voice commands to enhance that experience."

In April 2017, DISH became the first pay-TV provider to offer direct compatibility with Amazon Alexa. In October 2017, the company unveiled whole-home Hands-Free TV by extending Alexa support to all Joey clients.

DISH's Alexa capabilities
DISH customers can ask Alexa to navigate, play, pause, fast-forward, rewind and search content based on channel, title, actor or genre. With DISH's newest update, customers can also use Alexa to set recordings, launch apps like Game Finder, Netflix, Pandora and YouTube, and easily access the Home, Guide, DVR, On Demand, Settings and Help menus.

Examples of DISH's new Alexa commands include:

• "Alexa, record this"
  • "Alexa, launch Netflix"
  • "Alexa, open Game Finder"
  • "Alexa, go to my Home Screen"
  • "Alexa, go to my DVR"
All DISH customers with an internet-connected Hopper DVR (all generations), Hopper Duo, Joey (all models) or Wally can ask Alexa to control their TV content after pairing with an Amazon Echo, Echo Show, Echo Dot, Fire TV Cube or another Alexa-enabled device. Each DISH set-top box must be paired with its own Alexa device.

For more information about the Alexa integration with DISH, including possible commands and set-up instructions, visit www.dish.com/AmazonAlexaIntegration.

When I signed up for Dish they gave me two Echo Dots. Only the Hopper3 worked, the Joey-4K's didn't. I just linked up one of my 4K Joeys...It now works...Yippee!!!

Thanks for posting the info OP.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Still waiting for the Google Assistant (Google Home) integration that was supposed to be out "in the first half" of the year (almost out of time), or "rolling out this month [MAY]" (out of time)....

DISH to work with the Google Assistant; bringing multi-language voice control to Hands-Free TV experience
Turning your house into a smart home with the Google Assistant

They are waiting for Google.

Trust me when you get it... it works and is faster and has more features than what you can do with Alexa. (Including shutting off the TV) :D

Does a regular Amazon Fire TV (not cube) allow use of Alexa voice commands with a hopper with sling or regular Joey? Thanks

I love these new additions. They are a good deal of assistance for those with disabilities. Now, I only see one issue left. I just wish that when asking for a show on the DVR to play, it would play the earliest uncompleted episode or
earliest unwatched episode. Currently, it plays the episode that was recorded most recently. Watching a recorded series hands free is still not possible. It's not a major issue but it would be a nice additional feature. Outside of that, two thumbs up for the added abilities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)