DISH Price Increase 1/17/2013 (UPDATED!)

4 premiums are going to be $45 on 1/17.

Still doesn't make much sense that one can sub to AT250 plus 4 premiums for the same price as the everything pack.Where is the savings?As others have mentioned in this thread,there has to be something missing from these reports.

What is actually odd about the new AEP pricing is that AT250 $74.99 + 4 Premiums for 44 will be $118.99 - $1 less than the new AEP price. There has to be something else involved, like the inclusion of sports or BB@Home.

Or that we won't really pay that much-----or at least not yet.

I don't sub to AEP, but I have to wonder if sportspack or BB will be part of it with that price?

I feel certain Scott would have pointed out if the sport pack or BB would be included with the new prices for AEP, however I personally think this wishful thinking is just a pipe dream.

Honestly if they don't sweeten AEP there is no reason to offer it any longer.Just call it AT250 plus 4 premiums,same difference.That also does away with any confusion about (everything).

I'm a 250 sub taking advantage of the half-price premiums promo right now (saving a few bucks by not subbing to Showtime).. but once the 6 month promo was over, I'd be back on AEP. With Top250 plus HBO and Starz, you're only off by about $10 to AEP, so it doesn't make sense NOT to sub.. however, with this large of a price disparity between the two, AEP no longer makes sense.

I sub to Starz because the kids get good movies from it.. I watch one series .. HBO has two or three good series throughout the year but really no reason to sub year-round. This increase really just forces my hand to trim the fat and quit spending money on programming I'm not watching.

Second, Dish America Silver & Gold are disappearing. They weren't that great of deals in the first place, but it did spare people from scrolling through a lot of crappy sd-only channels.

Dish America was the cheapest way to get ESPN anywhere, I think.

So if I switch to DA now, what happens on the 17th? Do I get to stay on the "Package no longer available?" Seems there's probably some way to play this to our advantage, right? $20 a month for the Welcome Pack, especially now that there's no AMC, has me thinking I should go back to OTA.

EDIT: Whoops, disappearing, but going up $5.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=83533&d=1355939614

Wow a 33% increase on the Welcome Pack ! At least give me a new channel or two :( Maybe they consider the return of AMC worth $5

AMC is coming back now?

Last edited:
Dish America was the cheapest way to get ESPN anywhere, I think.

So if I switch to DA now, what happens on the 17th? Do I get to stay on the "Package no longer available?" Seems there's probably some way to play this to our advantage, right? $20 a month for the Welcome Pack, especially now that there's no AMC, has me thinking I should go back to OTA.

EDIT: Whoops, disappearing, but going up $5.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=83533&d=1355939614

AMC is coming back now?

I do not believe that Dish America is going away. I believe Dish America Silver and Dish America Gold are going away.

AMC is on channel 131 (was channel 130) and came back in October if I remember correctly along with Fuse [164], We [128], IFC [298], and Sundance Channel [358] in November. They (with the exception of AMC) will be in free preview until 1/16/13. AMC, Fuse, We, and IFC are now in AT120 (formerly in AT200), and Sundance Channel is now in AT200 (formerly in BB@Home).

Last edited:
Yes. I have by old paper bills from Dish Network from 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011. Instead of reporting a dollar amount, I'll just go with a percentage increase. In 2008 the increase was 2.5%, 2009 was 2.5%, 2010 was 3.0%, 2011 was 8.0%. So. We ACTUALLY got an increase in 2012, it was just rolled into 2011. This increase, for the average customer, looks to be 5% or more.
I thought we got a large increase in 2011 . With the exception of the years we had Price "freezes" ,DISH has has some kind of programming pack price increase or equipment increase , or DISH FEE increase every year since 2000. Before 2000 I barely had an increase and I was paying only $69.99 for AEP . Now that is the current price of just top 200 with a $5.00 increase next month. At this rate we should all be over $100.00 for the lowest programming pack by the end of the decade.

Honestly if they don't sweeten AEP there is no reason to offer it any longer.Just call it AT250 plus 4 premiums,same difference.That also does away with any confusion about (everything).

I wish they would bring back no fees on extra receivers for AEP subs!! I know, I know. Crazy thinking they would do that!

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys

The way I read it was if you activated from that march date and beyond then you get a 5.00 credit and an additional 5.00 as well. Whereas if you did it prior then you only get 5.00. Doesn't seem fair to me.

Did anybody catch the $1 increase on the VIP reiceivers from 6 to 7 bucks.....break out the vasiline..so much for the $5 increase oops...DBS talk was wrong again..VIP's are allready $7

Those two items pushed me over my "Fiscal Cliff" as my new bill will break the $100/mo mark. Hard to believe Dish was under $25/mo when I first subscribed in 1996...

Price protection credits are only for customers activated between 3/1/12 & 1/16/13. If your activation date was on 3/2/12 your protection credits end on 3/1/13.

To soften the blow for at 120+ & AEP the additional credits are for anyone who activated before 1/17/13.

C/P from a page on Scott's later post.

* Eligible customers will only receive the 18-month credit if they do NOT have the TV2 Receiver Connection fee (for America’s Top 120 subscribers) or $10/
mo. HD add-on (for America’s “Everything” Pak subscribers) on their account.

In other words if you are paying the tv2 connection fee it will be removed & no additional credits applied.

AEP if you're paying for the $10 hd add-on it will change to hd free for life & no additional credits applied.

It may be a good move for those on AEP, especially auto payers with free hd to stay put & for those thinking of subbing to it, get it now.

I do not believe that Dish America is going away. I believe Dish America Silver and Dish America Gold are going away.

AMC is on channel 131 (was channel 130) and came back in October if I remember correctly along with Fuse [164], We [128], IFC [298], and Sundance Channel [358] in November. They (with the exception of AMC) will be in free preview until 1/16/13. AMC, Fuse, We, and IFC are now in AT120 (formerly in AT200), and Sundance Channel is now in AT200 (formerly in BB@Home).

My fault -- you're right about DA. Only Gold and Silver have the little superscript 1 that says they're going away.

Re: AMC, I was following up Bob2011's comment about the Welcome Pack increase by asking if AMC was coming back to the Welcome Pack package. It's not listed as part of the Welcome Pack now, but I'd be more inclined to keep Dish around after the NFL season if that $20 did include Mad Men & friends. But since I'm prepay, I guess it's not such a big deal to drop service until next August and pay $20 (or whatever) to start back up. I'll miss my 211k monthly-fee-free DVR, however.

I wonder if the threatened cancellations and swaps to lower end packages here are representative of the Dish market at large at all. I'd have to guess no, or they wouldn't be jacking up the price. Guess it makes sense that the board's users are more comfortable with TV service alternatives.

Thanks for the info, Mojo.

I wonder if the threatened cancellations and swaps to lower end packages here are representative of the Dish market at large at all. I'd have to guess no, or they wouldn't be jacking up the price. Guess it makes sense that the board's users are more comfortable with TV service alternatives.

Thanks for the info, Mojo.

Most Dish subscribers probably don't even know of this hike yet. Most changes, if they happen, will happen in February after seeing the latest bill.

"Local channels for non-qualifying packages are $6.00 per month" Are locals going up, since most of the cost disputes have been about locals.