Hopper install questions

smjbh5

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 3, 2007
SF Bay Area
Ill probably be calling dish to upgrade from a 722 & 211 set up to a hopper and 2 joey set up. I dont want anyone drilling a bunch of holes in my house. I have coax and ethernet is every room in the house. Will that work for the install?

The node can be installed outside before entering the house and if you put Hopper where 211 and use the line for the 722 and the 2nd tv to cascade the two Joeys then no additional wiring should be needed as long and the line to the Hopper is rated to work with it.

The node can be installed outside before entering the house and if you put Hopper where 211 and use the line for the 722 and the 2nd tv to cascade the two Joeys then no additional wiring should be needed as long and the line to the Hopper is rated to work with it.

The hopper will be going where the 722 is. The house is 4 years old, so im guessing the wiring is good

The hopper will be going where the 722 is. The house is 4 years old, so im guessing the wiring is good

It doesn't matter where the Hopper goes - as long as it has RG6 - 3 GHz cable to it the joeys don't really matter. From a Tech standpoint if say the back bedroom is a easy run for new cable vs the other locations then this is where it would go. The joeys and Hopper work exactly the same and it doesn't have to be in the main room like all the other boxes have been in the past.

With 2 Hoppers, the installer was able to fish a 3rd cable through the same hole in my wall for the duo node. For a single node for 1 Hopper, I think the 2 wires you have may be enough.

If your wires coming in the house from sat go to the same central location that your coax to the house runs from I would put your node there. Connections from there should be easy assuming all are home runs from the central. You may have to upgrade some barrells to 3 Ghz.

If your wires coming in the house from sat go to the same central location that your coax to the house runs from I would put your node there. Connections from there should be easy assuming all are home runs from the central. You may have to upgrade some barrells to 3 Ghz.

Ill let dish make the call. All ill say is that i dont want a bunch of new holes drilled.

When I had mine installed back in Dec '12, I only had one wire from my dish, to a central location (where all the home runs were located, all RG-6 3ghz), the installer drilled and installed the second coax and put the node in the central location, and did the connections from there. Even though it doesn't get as cold here as it does up north, I prefer the node to be indoors.

The Joey and Hopper are not equal completely. The Hopper has PIP (I think) and Bluetooth so the location of the Hopper may be more strategic than you think.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The Joey and Hopper are not equal completely. The Hopper has PIP (I think) and Bluetooth so the location of the Hopper may be more strategic than you think.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I want the hopper in my family room. Which is on the oppsite side of the house from where the dish was installed. I have a 3 story house, the dish is mounted near the top, the family room is on the ground floor.

So my house is wired with rg6 (single sheilded). No issues for dish, right?

You should be good. Joeys won't be an issue for sure, as they're able to run on pretty much any coax you could find. The Hoppers technically need 3 ghz rated rg6 between the node and hopper location. Your results may vary if you use existing cable that isn't rated at 3. If it's easy to replace that line, most techs will do so.

You should be good. Joeys won't be an issue for sure, as they're able to run on pretty much any coax you could find. The Hoppers technically need 3 ghz rated rg6 between the node and hopper location. Your results may vary if you use existing cable that isn't rated at 3. If it's easy to replace that line, most techs will do so.

Who can i tell what the bandwidth is? Not all rg3 cables created equally?

Theres no way they can replace the line unless they rewire my whole house. The other option is to run a new line.

You mention that i would need the 3ghz between the node and the receiver, what about between the dish and the node? What is a node?

All the cable dish uses is properly rated. The node is the "central" point of the install. Basically between the dish and the H/J locations.

And no, not all cable is created equally. Most cable these days will be labeled as "swept to 3 ghz" or something similar, or the part # on the cable will be 3000***** or 2200*****. Having said that, just because it isn't officially certified to the stated requirement does not mean that it won't pass that frequency without issue. Sometimes replacing a line just isn't possible due to the construction of the house or location of the line. Running a new line is an option if you can get to the receiver location by penetrating an exterior wall without it being aesthetically unpleasing to the customer.

Who can i tell what the bandwidth is? Not all rg3 cables created equally?

Theres no way they can replace the line unless they rewire my whole house. The other option is to run a new line.

You mention that i would need the 3ghz between the node and the receiver, what about between the dish and the node? What is a node?

The coax lines from the dish to the node do not have to be 3 Ghz, but it won't hurt anything if they are. If you get 1 hopper & 2 Joeys you will be getting a single node, which requires 2 lines from the dish to operate. The lines to your 3 recievers run out of the node through coax to the TV locations. Only the hopper requires 3 Ghz RG6 from the node to the hopper. There can be wall plates etc in between, but all must use 3 Ghz barrels at the connection points. The lines from the node to the Joeys can use older RG59 spec coax according to DISH specs, but if you have a newer house I doubt you have RG59 anyway. A lot of people like to have the coax lines from the dish come in their house to a central wiring location or panel and then then run to the recievers from there. From your description it sounds like your house has some kind of central wiring scheme for cable? If so I would put your node there. OTOH some people prefer the node outside, but I like to have it in protected from the weather even though they are supposed to be weather proof why take a chance. Also depending on how many TVs and how many users you have you might want to consider 2 Hopper 1 Joey setup. That gives you 6 tuners instead of 3 and PIP/Swap function on 2 TVs. Hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)