DISH Price Increase 1/17/2013 (UPDATED!)

As a new/returning customer, I'm not seeing those packages offered. I suspect it is because when I signed up those packages didn't get any 'free' gear and now they don't want anyone under those discounts and free stuff to switch to the packages that didn't qualify.

All guesswork on my part! :)

I'm currently DA Silver but when I log in both Silver and Gold are greyed out and my only option (as far as a DA package goes) is Dish America.

Silver & Gold were discontinued on the 17th, Dish America is still available. Those that have Silver & Gold were grand fathered in, until dish decides that is over as well.

My bill went up FIVE DOLLARS !! WHY???

I have AT250, HD Addon and Blockbuster@Home...

It was running me $96 a month, this bill is $101 (and change.)

:mad:

WHY???????????

Because your bill didn't raise last year and they had to give raises to their employees. Somebody has to pay for that. Have you noticed that groceries cost more this year than last?

My bill went up FIVE DOLLARS !! WHY???

I have AT250, HD Addon and Blockbuster@Home...

It was running me $96 a month, this bill is $101 (and change.)

:mad:

WHY???????????

Not keeping up with your SatGuys reading, are you? ;)

Our bill may not have went up last year, but Dish raised it enought the year before to cover last years raise. SO, Dish collected last years raise from us for the entire year before. Pigs, we fed em!

Our bill may not have went up last year, but Dish raised it enought the year before to cover last years raise. SO, Dish collected last years raise from us for the entire year before. Pigs, we fed em!
Still, the average price increases over the 4-year span have remained consistent, regardless of price freezes (exceptions being AT120+ and AEP this year):

AT120
Feb2009: $39.99
Feb2011: $44.99
Feb2013: $49.99

AT120+
Feb2009: $44.99
Feb2011: $49.99
Feb2013: $59.99

AT200
Feb2009: $52.99
Feb2011: $59.99
Feb2013: $64.99

AT250
Feb2009: $62.99
Feb2011: $69.99
Feb2013: $74.99

AEP
Feb2009: $102.98
Feb2011: $104.99
Feb2013: $119.99

http://jameslong.name/pricing.html

Pigs, we do feed them. Keep in mind that the pigs here are the content owners/channel providers. Dish's profit margin has remained consistent at about 7.5%, which is still lower than DTV.

http://ycharts.com/companies/DISH/profit_margin
http://ycharts.com/companies/DTV/profit_margin

I looked at the Consumer Price Index change between Jan 2009 and Jan 2013 and it comes to a 9% change. So if you multiply the 2009 programming price by 1.09 you get what the current price should be if Dish followed the CPI.

AT 120 would be $43.59 not $49.99( a 25% increase)
AT 120+ would be $49.03 not $59.99( a 20% increase)
AT 200 would be $57.76 not $64.99( a 23% increase)
AT 250 would be $68.66 not $74.99( a 19% increase)

Dish"s price increase is 2 to 2.5 times larger than the CPI. We who are on social security actual did not get a raise in 2 of those 4 years and neted a 6.5% increase over the 4 years. Final conclusion Dish and the TV media industry is gauging us.

Dish has tended to clear just under 10% on average over the years. So, roughly 90% of the price increase is their costs going up.

Dish has tended to clear just under 10% on average over the years. So, roughly 90% of the price increase is their costs going up.
According to the link I provided, it's under 7.5% over the last 5 years, the most I could go back without paying for the information.

It ain't DISH. It's the content providers. And I have no doubt that they will squeeze the golden goose too hard.

If we had more pervasive wide spread cheap broadband across the country, I am betting that internet companies like Hula and Netflix would have expanded and be providing a lot more content to more people and the sat and cable companies would be losing more subs than ever. Instead of all of us living with these yearly price hikes to keep watching the same stuff . The question is which will occur first? Broadband expansion and with it more people subbing to Hula and Netflix etc or will the content providers kill the golden goose and hike the price so high that the entire model collapses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts