DISH Price Increase 1/17/2013 (UPDATED!)

When did you become a customer? Am I wrong in my understanding that you only get the price protection credit if you were a new customer ("activated service") in 2012 - 2013? If so, and you've been a customer for longer than that, you don't get a price protection credit at all even if you change packages, right?

So I already have a $10 a month credit until July 2013, for the AMC fiasco. Shows as an AEP credit, since that's what I had at the time. I've since downgraded to AT250.
I wonder how that would work if I upgraded to AEP before 1/17/2013? $10 AMC credit until July, with a $5 12mon credit , plus a $10 18mon credit , starting in Jan?

When did you become a customer? Am I wrong in my understanding that you only get the price protection credit if you were a new customer ("activated service") in 2012 - 2013? If so, and you've been a customer for longer than that, you don't get a price protection credit at all even if you change packages, right?

For AEP, it states for any who subscribes prior to 1/17/2013. I've been a Dish customer for a long time. Has to be 13-14yrs.

Okay...this will set likely set off "political" alarms for the moderators. But, I am being very serious here. Is it possible that these increased costs are - in addition to increased programming costs - related to increased costs that are set to kick-in to pay for the President's healthcare plan? How many full-time DISH employees are there? Everyone's healthcare costs are going to be increasing for most if not all businesses and someone has to pay for it. So, all I'm saying is that health insurance and its new rules/regulations required of employers could be a contributing factor in this DISH increase.

In a word, yes. Very likely increases in all services will go up more than they would have to help pay for this. Anyone who thinks differently has their head in the sand. Companies are either going to downsize to the magic number below the mandatory health care costs, go to part-time, or raise prices. Scott's answer to me is correct - this is unlike any other business cost that is passed on to the customer. But in this case it could drive up costs much more than otherwise. To me the smarter businesses who can't avoid the new tax/cost will slowly start charging more now, rather than a drastic increase later. The whole idea is working people pay for themselves, and pay more to cover those not working so everyone has insurance. And apparently cell phones.

Here is page 4 and 5 which is all they talk about existing customers.

Attachments

• page4.jpg
    page4.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 649
  • page5.jpg
    page5.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 523
I can't believe they moved the Smart Pack up $5. For the limited amount of content in that package they should at least throw in HD now.

Here's one way for DISH to recoup what they are paying in legal fees....

That is the real reason for the price increase. It has to do with dish legal cost and the hugh price dish has to pay for being sued by voom, the networks etc.

Health care costs has nothing to do with it. Dish has being paying for health insurance for their employees for a while now and the new law does not impact dish.

I have a question about price pressures on Dish and their competitors: Is it true that the most expensive content for Dish is sports? And isn't cable news also fairly pricey (CNN, Fox News, MSNBC)? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I do understand why the providers have resisted al a carte programming, but it seems like certain overpriced content genres like sports and cable news eventually need to be optional as they are significantly raising costs and prices for customers that don't watch them, or in the case of sports- some people might watch them only seasonally.
A year or so ago, they talked about programming costs in one of their earning calls with the financial analysts. Charlie said that sports are watched by 20 percent of Dish customers but are 50 percent of their program acquisition costs. He continued on and said they had talked about dropping sports and lowering the cost for their customers but it is obvious they decided that was a bad idea (all things considered from their point of view).

Wow! $15 increase for AEP? That sucks for me. My bill is already over $140. Our customers are not going to be happy epescially if our local ABC channel doesn't come back. ABC was just dropped yesterday.

Dish legal costs are nothing compared to the programming fees they pay. Every provider whether sued or not regularly raises their prices.

Before 1/17 I am sure Scott & Co will find out a lot more details on who can receive the rebate and why AEP is going up so much. Probably meeting the Dish big wigs at CES will reveal a lot of details.

Please take a look at the second page of the document Scott provided bask on page 2. It talks about a $10 credit to AEP Customers who ACTIVATE BEFORE 1/17/2013. It then discusses another credit that is apparently explained on pg.4. However we only seem to have 3 pages. That sounds to me like we get at least the $10 credit (for 18 months) I am not sure about the other $5.00.

Am I missing something?

From what I see after reviewing all the attachments is that all AEP customers get $5 credit if they have a plan before 1/17/2013. Then they get an extra $10. credit or an additional $10. credit if they have HD for Life.

Now what's confusing is I have HD for Life and currently am paying $0.00. I suspect that maybe the $10. BB@Home is going to included in the AEP plan. ????

So basically I think my bill will be increasing by $1. for the DVR fee increase. I assume this is correct and if not then I'm dropping Dish.

Then they get an extra $10. credit or an additional $10. credit if they have HD for Life

subs are going to HD for life if the're paying the $10.00 HD fee, it applies to subs with no HD for life for what i understand

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts