DISH Price Increase 1/17/2013 (UPDATED!)

I think price increases for satellite TV or cable is a bunch of bull. I don't see how you have to downgrade your package, still pay more, get less channels and 99% of them have a butt load of commercials when you can get a free OTA antenna and just use a streaming service. That is insane $15 increase for AEP. Except for the premiums 99% of the other channels are just commercials, cut credits and banners during the shows.

I don't understand either. It's not like fuel has tripled or more making everything more expensive often by more than Cable costs, not like health costs are through the roof climbing higher by far than TV costs, I just don't get it.... And why do I have take shorter vacations and still pay as much as I used to for longer ones... Mysteries of the world.

I understand that prices do go up. That's life but $15 for AEP and your not adding a thing to it? That doesn't make sense at all. Now if they were throwing in the sports pack or adding a few new premiums like Epix and the rest of the Max channels I would totally understand. From what I can see and read on here it's the same old package with nothing added but $15 more a month.

At least DirecTV has the sports pack added to their top tier and they have more Showetimes in HD along with a couple more Max channels. Yes I know their prices will go up too but Dish doesn't offer none of that with their AEP pack and it just went up $15

Looks like fixed cost hardware like Roku and a gaming system is getting more and more attractive. No monthly fee's with most devices. I have an Xbox live sub that cost about $3 per month. Since Dish sent me a free Roku because of the AMC thing. Now the 3 TV's my house all have another media box attached to them (Roku or Xbox). The kids liked my Roku so much they ask for one for Christmas.

Add in Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, and Hulu Plus and you are at less than $25 per month.

I will be downgrading in some way. Either through package choice or remove a piece of hardware.

Dish needs a few package selections that don't have ESPN and some other high priced channels. I think the costs for ESPN alone are in the $5-6 range per sub.

All well and good. But Netflix can't deliver it "first" for prime time and most cable networks. Amazon get's closer to that. Aside from that, after last week's tragedy, would I ever not want to access CNN, MSNBC, etc when I need to? NO. You're right, it's a trade off...I'd rather have EVERYTHING, AS/When it's happening/or want it...and to a much lesser degree, be able to surf through everything I PROBABLY won't want to watch...but just might.

ABC was streaming directly off Yahoo. I anything "big" happens, CNN, MSNBC, etc all put on a live feed on their web site.

So again I have been with Dish for 2 months. I have the top 200 pack. If I switch now to AEP will I get just a $10 protection credit or $15 along with the promo pricing? I am so confused. I was wanting to go with AEP anyway and now I guess I should do it while I get the promo pricing too. By the way I also have the $10 HD for life.

The way I see it is if I went with AEP now I would get it for the price it is now through my first year? If I'm wrong please let me know.

There has been alot of discussion in the thread about how to interpret the language on those credits. Some of us think that you get the credits for 18 months and others are convinced this is not the case. Right now none of us can tell you with any authority what you will pay----at least not now.

I currently have AEP + BB@Home + Sports Pkg (a ripoff in the Philly area with no RSNs) + PP + 2H/2J = 162.00 + tax per month. If they raise the AEP by 15.00 I will cancel the Sports Pkg, PP, Cinemax and Starz and drop down to AT200 or 250 and end up paying them a lot less than now. I'll cancel Sports in 2 weeks in any event after NFL RedZone goes away.

I'm still pissed off that we AEP subs got nothing during the AMC blackout.

Looks like fixed cost hardware like Roku and a gaming system is getting more and more attractive. No monthly fee's with most devices. I have an Xbox live sub that cost about $3 per month. Since Dish sent me a free Roku because of the AMC thing. Now the 3 TV's my house all have another media box attached to them (Roku or Xbox). The kids liked my Roku so much they ask for one for Christmas.

Add in Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, and Hulu Plus and you are at less than $25 per month.

I will be downgrading in some way. Either through package choice or remove a piece of hardware.

Dish needs a few package selections that don't have ESPN and some other high priced channels. I think the costs for ESPN alone are in the $5-6 range per sub.
It is called Latino Dos. It is nearly Disney free (if not entirely). And its price reflects that.

I currently have AEP + BB@Home + Sports Pkg (a ripoff in the Philly area with no RSNs) + PP + 2H/2J = 162.00 + tax per month. If they raise the AEP by 15.00 I will cancel the Sports Pkg, PP, Cinemax and Starz and drop down to AT200 or 250 and end up paying them a lot less than now. I'll cancel Sports in 2 weeks in any event after NFL RedZone goes away.

I'm still pissed off that we AEP subs got nothing during the AMC blackout.
I think Dish may think people that pay $150 for sat tv will pay $165 without much of a fuss.

I'm still p****d off that we AEP subs got nothing during the AMC blackout.

I know. If they are going to raise it that much add some more premium channels and bring the Disney channels back in HD. But of course like with everything else we pay more for the same.

We're dropping from the AT200 to AT120 if not a lower package. We may start relying on streaming for more of our programming to save on costs. Fortunately one of my 4-year old's favorite shows (Phineas and Ferb) is on Netflix.

I know. If they are going to raise it that much add some more premium channels and bring the Disney channels back in HD. But of course like with everything else we pay more for the same.

That's exactly what I said! How can they raise it that much and not add anymore HD? Like I said before DirecTV has the sports pack added in their top package. Plus more premium HD channels and more Max channels. I'm sure DirecTV will raise prices too but it has more to offer in their top package. I bet a lot of people will drop out of AEP.

I know as soon as my new subscriber deal with is up I will not be going to the AEP.

What is actually odd about the new AEP pricing is that AT250 $74.99 + 4 Premiums for 44 will be $118.99 - $1 less than the new AEP price. There has to be something else involved, like the inclusion of sports or BB@Home.

Yes. I have by old paper bills from Dish Network from 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011. Instead of reporting a dollar amount, I'll just go with a percentage increase. In 2008 the increase was 2.5%, 2009 was 2.5%, 2010 was 3.0%, 2011 was 8.0%. So. We ACTUALLY got an increase in 2012, it was just rolled into 2011. This increase, for the average customer, looks to be 5% or more.

So I dropped from AT200 to AT120. In the end, they get $10/month less from me. C'est la vie.

We dropped from AT250 to AT120 after the AMC ordeal. We have a 722 + 211k. With this increase, we may just get rid of the 722 and get another 211k.

They froze the price on packages for 2 years. But they nickle and dime everything else.

dvr.jpg

What is actually odd about the new AEP pricing is that AT250 $74.99 + 4 Premiums for 44 will be $118.99 - $1 less than the new AEP price. There has to be something else involved, like the inclusion of sports or BB@Home.

In the first post didn't Scott mention a $1 increase if you subscribed to all 4 premiums? That would account for the missing dollar.

Received a letter 2 days ago with a return address in Englewood CO. Never opened it, was obviously a solicitation & went straight to the shredder.

On the outside of envelope in bold print it said....."You Are Paying Too Much For TV".
In my mind I'm thinking, tell me something I didn't know. :rolleyes:

On the bottom right hand side it had the dish name/logo & said....."We want you back"
I haven't left, yet.....

Could be wrong, but the return address location seems it's highly unlikely to be from a sales partner or retailer. Guess somebody/we have to pay for this kind of junk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)