DISH Price Increase 1/17/2013 (UPDATED!)

So, my monthly bill is going up by $6.00. Dish makes me some "special offers" to soften the blow, but they are really worthless to me and do nothing to ease my distaste for the the increased price. I'm getting the same thing I've been getting but now it costs me more. There is something that would help me feel OK about the price increase. Start to provide at least one thing of value that I have been wanting, namely ESPNU in HD. Why not?

So, my monthly bill is going up by $6.00. Dish makes me some "special offers" to soften the blow, but they are really worthless to me and do nothing to ease my distaste for the the increased price. I'm getting the same thing I've been getting but now it costs me more. There is something that would help me feel OK about the price increase. Start to provide at least one thing of value that I have been wanting, namely ESPNU in HD. Why not?
Then it wouldn't be the price increase they are trying to achieve. The goal for them is exactly that: To make you pay more for what you already have. No different than going to the grocery store and getting the same stuff as usual, but walking out having spent more money. They either do it with increasing the prices for the same items, or reducing what's in the container, but leaving the size of the container as is and the price.
DISH is doing it similar by offering you stuff that you most likely don't want anyways, and the few that do are collateral damage.
They also knew if they wouldn't give subscribers a temporary break with an 18 month rebate, that would make too many people mad and lower subscriptions or leave. In the end that would leave them with less than before. After 18 months the majority will have calmed down enough not to be that mad about it anymore.
It's all a mind game...

You know how potato chips go up in price but come in smaller sizes,now that's truly getting less for more.Playing devils advocate here,at least Dish has added a few more channels in HD.Hopefully they can get the Disney dispute settled soon,and with the new sat @61.5 they should be able to get most locals in HD very soon.

You know how potato chips go up in price but come in smaller sizes,now that's truly getting less for more.Playing devils advocate here,at least Dish has added a few more channels in HD.Hopefully they can get the Disney dispute settled soon,and with the new sat @61.5 they should be able to get most locals in HD very soon.

Disney would be a nice add, for the times they show movies that the kids watch

Disney would be a nice add, for the times they show movies that the kids watch

I look at it like this.If we as Dish subs,are going to have to pay practically the same as DTV,then we Dish subs should have ESPNU,and the other Disney channels in HD.I just feel like we are paying close to premium prices for a little less than premium quality.

Well, I just learned why I never got my letter...it was sent to my service address, not my billing address.

I never got any kind of notice saying the prices were going up (I wish I had known about this site before!) I contacted a Dish rep and they said they sent out an e-mail. I never delete my e-mails and I did a search through my e-mails and I never found anything about this increase. I'm kinda bummed about the increase. I can't afford anymore than I'm already paying. The only channel I now have that I didn't have before is AMC. I only watch the Walking Dead on there otherwise I don't even watch that channel. I look at Directv and I see they're offering more channels and if I return to them I get special pricing for two years. I'm thinking I may have to switch over. I just don't see Dish giving me anything for the money I pay.

No letter, no email here either. Perhaps they classified me as 2nd choice customers since I had two 622's die on me in one month recently. The third one runs like a charm now. I may have pi$$ed them off....

I got the letter; you're not missing much. Half price premiums for 6 months; MOviemania on channel 102, and Joe's letter thanking me for being such a great customer.

I have heard nothing about the increase except on this site. they don't answer emails and I just cant deal with customer service anymore. I hate to start looking around again because I am happy with the channel selection. I have the aep along with some other packages and it is now going to come to 167.00 a month.

If Dish wants to hold the line on prices maybe they should try this and reduce the price of all tiers if you don't want sports.

New FiOS HD tier cuts sport channels for lower monthly rate

Verizon FiOS has created a reduced "Select HD" package without ESPN and other sports channels that costs $15 less a month than its "TV Prime HD" offering. The new entry is priced at $49.99 a month, compared with $64.99 a month for the Prime package. Multichannel News (1/22)

Sounds like there is no sports free version of Ultimate. That might be the kicker to get me to switch.

I did get my letter, but Dish had my buddy's name on it 'cause he's the one that "secured" their equipment with his credit card (I only have a debit card.)
I had just set it aside thinking it was just advertisement. Of course, like others here, I found the "free" offers rather useless, IMO.

Ghpr13:(

got my letter today from dish. I have the aep so not sure what it means. I already get the premiums in the package. they said in the letter that all packages went up 5 bucks. I am seeing 15 for the aep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)