DISH Price Increase 1/17/2013 (UPDATED!)

The ultimate a la carte system would be to buy all your episodes on itunes/amazon individually. If your cable bill runs $150/month now you could buy 50 HD episodes per month. Most people would not like this deal. But, for some with good OTA reception, suddenly buying a few cable series you actually watch and watching OTA/netflix/Amazon Prime works out cheaper than a cable bill.

I came close to going with this system last year. I even cancelled Dish. But, they came back with a big discount and kept me a while longer.

So my bill went up $6.37 with the 1 of 18 credits. This is for a lone 622. Wonder what next Feb's increase will be... :rolleyes:

Previous Activity
Previous Bill 135.45
Jan 14 Credit Card Payment -135.45
Balance Forward
$0.00
this line is supposed to be blank
Bill Period 02/10/13 - 03/09/13
Feb 10 - Mar 09
Monthly Charges
America's Everything Pak 119.99
Blockbuster@Home 10.00
DVR Service 7.00
Protection Plan 7.00
$143.99
Feb 10 - Mar 09
Monthly Savings
Cr: Courtesy 1 Of 18 -10.00
HD 250 Free ($10/mo) 0.00
-$10.00
Jan 25 State/Local Tax (Sales) 7.83
$141.82
Total AutoPay on Feb 14, 2013 $141.82

So my bill went up $6.37 with the 1 of 18 credits. This is for a lone 622. Wonder what next Feb's increase will be... :rolleyes:

Previous Activity
Previous Bill 135.45
Jan 14 Credit Card Payment -135.45
Balance Forward
$0.00
Feb 10 - Mar 09
Monthly Charges
America's Everything Pak 119.99
Blockbuster@Home 10.00
DVR Service 7.00
Protection Plan 7.00
$143.99
Feb 10 - Mar 09
Monthly Savings
Cr: Courtesy 1 Of 18 -10.00
HD 250 Free ($10/mo) 0.00
-$10.00
Jan 25 State/Local Tax (Sales) 7.83
$141.82
Total AutoPay on Feb 14, 2013 $141.82
So you got the 18 month $10 credit. Why did TNG Tony not get it?

I got a email and my bill went up $5.00. I have AEP from my signature when we had Dish installed so it is weird that I am getting the 18 month $10 promo off.
No it isn't weird. AT120+ went up $10, AEP went up $15. To "counter" that, subs with those 2 packages will get an automatic 18-month $5 credit and $10 credit respectively to make a $5 effective increase for everyone.

I have AEP and my "special offers" are half off two channels that are included in the AEP (Heartland and Outdoors I think). What is the point of that? Also my credits are showing on the actual bill that was just generated.

The ultimate a la carte system would be to buy all your episodes on itunes/amazon individually. If your cable bill runs $150/month now you could buy 50 HD episodes per month. Most people would not like this deal. But, for some with good OTA reception, suddenly buying a few cable series you actually watch and watching OTA/netflix/Amazon Prime works out cheaper than a cable bill.

I came close to going with this system last year. I even cancelled Dish. But, they came back with a big discount and kept me a while longer.

I'd definitely cut the cord if Dish did away with Dish America like they did with the silver and gold ones.

If only the programming and variety would return to what it once was to justify the cost. I mean I found an old TV guide and...WOW...the good old days of variety...usually something different on each hour and not a whole day filled with the same show (like on USA...it's either NCIS or L&O all day long; Feb 1 on Spike: Gangland Feb 2: Auction Hunters Feb 3: Bar Rescue Feb 6: Auction Hunters; SYFY - famous for all day marathons of Ghost Hunters or Face Off or Destination Truth.)

Winner: Internet, Netflix, etc...see content without commercials and snipes and uncut; watch what you want and when!!!

Loser: Pay more to cable/sat for channels that show snipes, edit for syndication, and commercials of course; be held hostage to a channel's pick of the daily marathon show for the whole day. ("Let's see what's next..oh another episode. Ok, what's after that...oh another episode, ok later...ANOTHER ONE!, grrr) Nothing wrong with programming a marathon of a show once in a while, but dang.

Last edited:
For those of you with AEP, isn't it a lot cheaper to just go with Netflix, and rent a few movies a month from a RedBox, or other alternative? I don't mean to sound like a jerk, and I certainly have no right to tell anyone which package to get. It just seems to me that the HBO's and Starz of the world, all have the same movies every month, with a few newer releases sprinkled in. The only time we ever bought one of the premiums,was when the Saproano's were on HBO, and the free trials that we had when we signed up. Those channels just seem very overpriced to me.

I have AEP with Dish, yeah I'm a returning sub to Dish and the premiums are free right now, but I came from Direct and had Premier over there.

I also have Netflix and both serve their purposes quite well. It isn't all about the movies you know! Original series, boxing and other special event programming are the reason I keep the premiums. And those are not available on Netflix.

Are they worth it? To me, the answer is yes they are!

For the movies, well I do watch some from all the services including Netflix. But they aren't the prime reason I watch/subscribe to them.

I'd definitely cut the cord if Dish did away with Dish America like they did with the silver and gold ones.

If only the programming and variety would return to what it once was to justify the cost. I mean I found an old TV guide and...WOW...the good old days of variety...usually something different on each hour and not a whole day filled with the same show (like on USA...it's either NCIS or L&O all day long; Feb 1 on Spike: Gangland Feb 2: Auction Hunters Feb 3: Bar Rescue Feb 6: Auction Hunters; SYFY - famous for all day marathons of Ghost Hunters or Face Off or Destination Truth.)

Winner: Internet, Netflix, etc...see content without commercials and snipes and uncut; watch what you want and when!!!

Loser: Pay more to cable/sat for channels that show snipes, edit for syndication, and commercials of course; be held hostage to a channel's pick of the daily marathon show for the whole day. ("Let's see what's next..oh another episode. Ok, what's after that...oh another episode, ok later...ANOTHER ONE!, grrr) Nothing wrong with programming a marathon of a show once in a while, but dang.

Yeah, remember back when only the big 3 (at that time, before Fox local) had commercials? Now not only do cable networks have commercials, but we get to see commercials for other networks on the network we're watching! It's more commercials promos, than program. So much for "Pay TV".
Ghpr13:(

Going online to my Dish account..it looks as if my programming is going up $10 per month -120+ is now $59.99 instead of $49.99... so whats all this talk about only $5.00 month increase.Like others I am looking to go to the cheapest package.I only have 120+ package because of Fox Soccer.. any suggestions?

Going online to my Dish account..it looks as if my programming is going up $10 per month -120+ is now $59.99 instead of $49.99... so whats all this talk about only $5.00 month increase.Like others I am looking to go to the cheapest package.I only have 120+ package because of Fox Soccer.. any suggestions?
You should be getting a $5 monthly credit for the next 18 months to offset that $10 increase. It should show up on your bill once it's generated.

At least in my case the increase didn't take effect till a full bill cycle after 1/17. I suppose technically they could have prorated my previous bill to include it, but didn't. Either way it was high to begin with & just got more expensive now. Time to downgrade here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)