DISH Price Increase 1/17/2013 (UPDATED!)

Content has steacily gone downhill with wall to wall mindless reality programming on most channels now. We have decided to go on Dish pause for the summer months as a response to the continued price increases for less and less content value. If content doesn't improve soon we are going total a la carte via internet streaming for our television needs. Sad... I am a Dish customer since 1997 and used to really get excited at each Charlie Chat. Dish was so much better than cable at the time and now Dish has become the cable company.
That seems extremely unfair. Dish is not responsible for programming content. Dish is still the least expensive option for many programming options.

I agree, the lack of content on so many channels is a problem. If NBCSports doesn't drop to a better package, I can't justify paying for 250 to watch the EPL. Then without the EPL in Dos, I'm left with Food Network and Cartoon Network as the only two channels I really watch. And at $720 a year, I can watch all of the Cartoon Network progs on Amazon Prime. Replacing Food Network content would be harder. I'd miss Alton Brown's Good Eats, but I'm not paying $60 a month for it.

Well, I think it's extremely fair except for this part.

...and has also gone to hell Dish wise since Charlie started enjoying his billions and doesn't care about his customers anymore... He got rich and is out enjoying his money instead of handling the day to day operations of his company... and it shows.

Charlie Ergen IS a bean counter, and I suspect is personally responsible for those nit-picky fees.

The Epix channels are also available separate for $7 I believe. I think BB@Home is better for $3 more, but Epix ala cart is an option if you want to keep Epix.

Yes, I'm aware of the ala cart pack for Epix. But if you have Epix for a month , you will see just about all the movies they have. I can't justify the $7.00 price for repeat movies. How many times can I watch Hot Tub Time Machine?

Was at 108 with 722 & 612 in the fall, upgraded to 2 Hoppers 3 Joeys, dropped Superstations and now at $130. Seems like a lot.

It is a lot. Between the yearly price increases and the price of all the DISH fees and hikes in those fees, the only way to save any money is to down grade to lower packs and or cut out extra sat equipment. I personally can't see paying more than $100.00 a month x 12 months = $1200.00 a year. When I started with DISH it was like $4.99 a month for an extra receiver and NO Dvr fees at all. I had the original Webtv/dishplayer and never paid the $9.99 personal video recorder fee back then due to something DISH was offering back then. I paid $69.99 for AEP back in 2000 and now that would cost me $119.99 BEFORE any taxes, additional receiver fees, DISH fees are applied. Unless DISH will be able to sustain themselves with the wealthiest 1% as customers, I don't see many people staying with them in the future . There will come a time , like I already pointed out in my case, where all the programming downgrades, and cutting down to one receiver, won't keep their bills down under a $100.00 a month and then they will decide to cut the cord completely.

I only sub to premium programming like HBO , which I truly enjoy, if it is either FREE or 1/2 price. At $18.00 a month it is almost as much as I used to pay for the top 40 programming for $19.99 back in 97, when I first got DISH. IF EVERYBODY stopped subscribing to premium programming packs ,at full Price , they would have to go down on the packs. I think that this must already be happening because I've had 1/2 price or FREE Hbo twice this last year since June. In fact right now , I can get 1/2 price on ALL the premium packs including Encore, when I check in on my DISH account online. We as the customers ,could force them back down , just like we do on gas prices when they go up , we stop driving as much and the price goes back down. Stop subbing to any premium pack ,unless either free or 1/2 price and the companies will get the message and they will have to cut the price back down to attract customers.

That seems extremely unfair. Dish is not responsible for programming content. Dish is still the least expensive option for many programming options.

I agree, the lack of content on so many channels is a problem. If NBCSports doesn't drop to a better package, I can't justify paying for 250 to watch the EPL. Then without the EPL in Dos, I'm left with Food Network and Cartoon Network as the only two channels I really watch. And at $720 a year, I can watch all of the Cartoon Network progs on Amazon Prime. Replacing Food Network content would be harder. I'd miss Alton Brown's Good Eats, but I'm not paying $60 a month for it.

Scripps programming for Food Network, HGTV, DIY are the most difficult to get online. They just don't make much of it available. Whether that is a good strategy in the future is unknown. People are eventually going to cut the cable and Scripps is going to lose out on those customers if they don't provide some current content online.

I was pleasantly surprised today to see that even though I was a couple days past the cutoff for price protection, Dish gave it to me anyway.

Did you place your order on the 17th? Maybe you got "in before the lock". ;)

It is a lot. Between the yearly price increases and the price of all the DISH fees and hikes in those fees, the only way to save any money is to down grade to lower packs and or cut out extra sat equipment. I personally can't see paying more than $100.00 a month x 12 months = $1200.00 a year. When I started with DISH it was like $4.99 a month for an extra receiver and NO Dvr fees at all. I had the original Webtv/dishplayer and never paid the $9.99 personal video recorder fee back then due to something DISH was offering back then. I paid $69.99 for AEP back in 2000 and now that would cost me $119.99 BEFORE any taxes, additional receiver fees, DISH fees are applied. Unless DISH will be able to sustain themselves with the wealthiest 1% as customers, I don't see many people staying with them in the future . There will come a time , like I already pointed out in my case, where all the programming downgrades, and cutting down to one receiver, won't keep their bills down under a $100.00 a month and then they will decide to cut the cord completely.

I only sub to premium programming like HBO , which I truly enjoy, if it is either FREE or 1/2 price. At $18.00 a month it is almost as much as I used to pay for the top 40 programming for $19.99 back in 97, when I first got DISH. IF EVERYBODY stopped subscribing to premium programming packs ,at full Price , they would have to go down on the packs. I think that this must already be happening because I've had 1/2 price or FREE Hbo twice this last year since June. In fact right now , I can get 1/2 price on ALL the premium packs including Encore, when I check in on my DISH account online. We as the customers ,could force them back down , just like we do on gas prices when they go up , we stop driving as much and the price goes back down. Stop subbing to any premium pack ,unless either free or 1/2 price and the companies will get the message and they will have to cut the price back down to attract customers.

Well I knew my bill was going up when I upgraded AND I should have known that a price hike was coming somewhere in the back of my mind AND I knew I was going from 2 HD & 1 SD feed to 5 HD feeds with independent viewing AND my whole family loves the system. I'm only saying... $130 a month seems like a lot. Top 250 and BB could be on the table in the future if times get rough, but there are programs that we watch all the time on 250 and BB is nice to have and whole fam loves the disc by mail so we'll keep what we have for now.

Well I knew my bill was going up when I upgraded AND I should have known that a price hike was coming somewhere in the back of my mind AND I knew I was going from 2 HD & 1 SD feed to 5 HD feeds with independent viewing AND my whole family loves the system. I'm only saying... $130 a month seems like a lot. Top 250 and BB could be on the table in the future if times get rough, but there are programs that we watch all the time on 250 and BB is nice to have and whole fam loves the disc by mail so we'll keep what we have for now.

Hey as long as you can afford it and are happy with the price, that's great. :) But in my household , anything over a $100.00 a month is to much to me. But as usual your mileage will vary.;)

I dropped Showtime to reduce my bill by $13/month, which more than compensates for the $6/month they raised it by. If something shows up on SHO that I want to see, I'll put it in my BB queue and it'll arrive in the mail. I can live with that and save an extra $7/month...

omotional Price​
Smart Pack​
$29.99 - $10.00 $19.99

Instant Credits Online Credits
Was Now Was Now
America’s Top 120​
$49.99 $10.00 $15.00 $15.00 $10.00 $24.99
America’s Top 120 Plus​
$59.99 $10.00 $20.00 $20.00 $10.00 $29.99
America’s Top 200​
$64.99 $10.00 $20.00 $20.00 $10.00 $34.99
America’s Top 250​
$74.99 $10.00 $25.00 $25.00 $10.00 $39.99
America’s “Everything” Pak​
$119.99 $10.00 $25.00 $25.00 $10.00 $84.99
*Please note that Smart Pack is eligible for the Online Monthly Bonus Credit only.There are no online bonus credits for MDU Residential customers.​
All programming and pricing is subject to change at Any Time in DISH’s Sole Discretion.

Here is an update of the new promotions that will go into affect tomorrow. Basically they lowered the online discounts and raised the automatic discounts. Smart move if you ask me.

Sorry for how confusing it looks. I tried to copy and paste the info and the format messed up. It shows the regular price first, the old automatic discount next, then the new automatic discount. After that is the old online discount, then the new online discount followed by the final price.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm aware of the ala cart pack for Epix. But if you have Epix for a month , you will see just about all the movies they have. I can't justify the $7.00 price for repeat movies. How many times can I watch Hot Tub Time Machine?
Like Casablanca and Citizen Kane, I can watch Hot Tub Time Machine over and over, finding new and amazing things with each subsequent viewing.

Not really.

Well, Dish has told me multiple times that I called in on January 19th and downgraded my package to the Top 250 from AEP and added all four premiums at half-price. I never called in and made this request, and that is very concerning. Even our DIRT team told me that 'someone called in' and made the change.

The sweetest part of the debacle, I had just upgraded from 3 premiums at half price in December to the AEP in anticipation of the 10x12 protection credit. When my account was changed again, I was charged $20.00 in package change fees :eek:

It took three chats and a few PM's to DIRT to get those fees credited back. I have also taken it as an omen to quit wasting money on channels I don't really watch. It has always been nice to have the AEP since I work in the industry and like to keep up on what's happening, but I don't make enough to spend that much for a few hours of viewing pleasure a month.

Moral of the story: Dish still makes a practice out of being the "bad business man" of the cable industry.

Given the 2 year price freeze we enjoyed, I knew the hammer would fall sooner or later. I'm just surprised there was no notice on online billing (though presumably they've put a blurb in the actual statement).

That said, I've held on for as long as I can. First absolute dissolved, then the credits to lessen the blow ended, and I'm now paying way more than I'm comfortable with for service. And there's a whole lot less compelling HD programming than there was even a few years ago, seemingly. At the minimum I'll be lowering my programming level, but am also seriously considering leaving altogether. Guess I'll have to start making a dent on the stuff on my EHD.

Just wondering though - when did Science move to Dish America Silver? It was one of a few networks I had with absolute that I went to DA Gold to keep, and for the longest time it was only available there (as far as DA was concerned). Not that it matters anyway, since we'll be able to keep them if we have them now, but never switch, other than to the standard/bronze Dish America lineup, if I understand correctly.

Last edited:
I just noticed dish has removed Silver, Gold and Dish America as options programing options on their site. Cutting Dish America means the cheapest package with HD cable channels is now 49.99.

I just checked and the website still gives me the option to switch to Dish America.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)