Dish Pricing Update

Maybe it isn't clear to those who don't have the AEP....

We don't pay ANY DVR Fees right now, other than the "leased receiver fee" (which is charged on a second leased receiver, .... I also have a 3rd and 4th DVR (a 510 and a 501) which have two $5 "Solo Tuner Receiver" receiver fees per month, but they aren't technically DVR fees, they are receiver fees which E* charges if you hook up a receiver you OWN to their service. If I had no AEP, they would double those fees with a separate DVR fee.

That's good at least.....

Sounds like this is the new preferred upgrade path then for those upgrading secondary TVs to HDTVs in the future. Forget the dedicated DVRs... get the 211s and add your own hard drive if they are going to pursue this strategy to avoid a couple of hundred bucks a year ($17x12 months).

I agree it would be the easiest way to avoid the extra dvr fees but the only thing is you are limited in the amount of timers you can create on a 211k with the dvr software . After February you still won't have the extra dvr fees after the one on your account. So you could actually put a second dedicated dvr on your account and not get hit by the extra dvr fees or the A/0 fees if you keep the receiver plugged into a phone line. From what I read in the original post by Scott in the Multi -Channel News site , the single tuner receivers or solo receivers, will still only be 7.00 a month. No increase on the equipment charge . IN his post he said they would charge the following for each kind of receivers;

7.00 solo tuner receivers ( for sd or hd -NO difference)
14.00 duo tuner receivers (for sd or hd -NO difference)
17.00 duo tuner DVR receivers ( for sd or hd - NO difference)

In my case I traded in my two 722 dvrs in for a 722k and a 211k last February to beat the dvr fees. I had to pay $39.99 for the dvr software to turn my 211k into a dvr for my son, but it is nice because he can record off of his ota and sat tuner at the same time.

Maybe it isn't clear to those who don't have the AEP....

We don't pay ANY DVR Fees right now, other than the "leased receiver fee" (which is charged on a second leased receiver, .... I also have a 3rd and 4th DVR (a 510 and a 501) which have two $5 "Solo Tuner Receiver" receiver fees per month, but they aren't technically DVR fees, they are receiver fees which E* charges if you hook up a receiver you OWN to their service. If I had no AEP, they would double those fees with a separate DVR fee.

actually the 508 and 501 are DVR fee FREE.

Yes, this is what most of us are complaining about. AEP currently does not have the DVR fee. If E* adds a new DVR fee to AEP, there will be no advantage to having it any longer. I will downgrade my service if this DVR fee is imposed. Two new DVR fees plus extra equipment fees equals a dissatisfied customer.:mad:

As an AEP customer looking at SIGNIFICAnT monthly bill increase, well said. However, I have really thought about it and decided that if the fee increases occur for AEP (beyond a few dollars say $5), then I have decided that I will shut down all but 2 boxes and downgrade to the cheapest Family Pak for the remainder of my commitment which ends in about a year. After that, it is either my somewhat improved cable co. or, most likely FiOS, buy I'll never spend as much with them as I do now with Dish.

As a customer spending a HUGE amount on Dish Network, and big TV watcher, this proposed AEP screw-over has so enraged me, that I have found that I really can live with the Family Pack and 2 boxes and will be content with that. What will I do with the least expensive Dish bill option? I have a TiVo Series 3 that works flawlessly for OTA; I will finally view several Gigs (spanning several HDD's) of programming on my external HDD's; I shall rediscover my vast music CD collection; I shall finally have time to watch several British TV series Region 2 PAL DVD's that I have been meaning to watch and continue to buy more, now; I shall finally buy a Blu-ray player for my HDTV's (really cheap at Wal-Mart); and I shall really have some extra time for several other smaller personal things that do need attention but have put off because of all the programming I record.

I love TV, and it is an important part of enabling myself to go to work and hang-on in this world, and I LOVE the educational value of programs on History, Science and Discovery, my most favorite channels. But, I'm not a complete fool and know when I am being treated like s*#t by a company, or perhaps, contempt would be a nicer word. Yes, I really can live without TV. I lived without any TV for nearly a year a long time ago, and I didn't jump off the cliff nor did anything terrible happen to me. Thanks, Charlie for showing me the light and help me to reevaluate how I spend my money and persuade me not to spend any more big $$ on you, Dish Network, or Echostar.

I have one 722k, one 622, and two 612s--with the AEP, plus locals and HD Platinum and multi-sports. So I clearly won't get any credit back for DVR fees (since AEP customers don't now pay them) and all four DVRs are connected to phone/internet. So it sounds like I will see my bill go up about $26 more per month? Is that the way it sounds to you, Mike?

Lets see if I can figure yours out. First of all I don't believe you will have any more credit for AEP meaning you will have at least ONE Dvr fee of 5.98 per your account. THis is what DIRECTV does with their Premeir pack , their version of AEP. So then we have to figure your dvrs into the mix. The first dvr 722k is no charge. THen you have to add the equipment charges for your 622 and your two 612 dvrs . That would be 3 x 17.00=51.00. Now we have to subtract the dvr fees since you only have one dvr fee now per account 3x 5.98=17.94. Subtract the A/0 fees for keeping your phone line plugged in 3 x 5.00 = 15.00.

51.00 equipment charges 3 x 17.00
17.94 dvr fees subtracted 3 x 5.98
15.00 A/0 fees subtracted if phone line kept plugged in 3 x 5.00
------------------------------------------------------
18.06 total
05.98 + the one dvr fee per account
-------------------------------------------------------
24.04 total on additional receiver equipment charges.

Compared to today you would pay :

21.00 additional receiver/lease fees 3 x 7.00 hd dvrs
00.00 no dvr fees with AEP
15.00 A/0 fees if you didn't keep your phone line plugged in.
-------------------------------------------------------------
36.00 total with no phone line plugged in.
21.00 with phone lines plugged in.

So it looks like you will see a $3.04 increase in your bill when you compare it today with what you will pay after February 1st. IF What the Csr for DISH said in the #1 post is true.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a problem with the calculation of Scott's bill on page 1? With the AEP there are no DVR fees so how can the CSR subtract $29.90 (5 X 5.98) from Scott's bill? It looks to me that with AEP and 5 additional DuoDvr's the net cost increase is $10 per DuoDvr for a total increase of $50. Is this the TIVO lawsuit coming back to haunt E*'s DVR users?

Yes, my firm belief Charlie's lawyers have told him prepare to lose (although TiVo's victory by jury was flawed) and prepare pay. As I said in my very first post on this thread, Charlie is preparing to pay TiVo its licensing fees either as a result of a settlement or having exhausted all legal options followed by an unfavorable ruling and TiVo having all the leverage in negotiating what Dish will pay TiVo each month in licensing fees.

How much is your bill going up? Mostly AEP subs will see an increase if they have a few DVR's for most other folks there is no change in price.

This is exactly the point. AEP subscribers like me with a owned 722 and a leased622 should not be treated that way. What are they thinking? That I can afford to pay for AEP, so some more isn't gonna hurt? It's about the principle that the highest paying customers might get screwed. This reflects effectively the situation this country is in and demonstrates the deficits managers in this country have. I am not surprised about this.

E could still make AEP subs DVR FREE, although it would only save one DVR fee.

I bet our discussion has given E management a BIG headache

I have 4 personally-purchased 622/722's on AEP.

Does that mean my bill would go up at least $25 a month? That's unbelievable!

p.s. All 4 dvr's are hooked up to single HDTV. I don't even use the 2nd-tv feature at all.

This is exactly the point. AEP subscribers like me with a owned 722 and a leased622 should not be treated that way. What are they thinking? That I can afford to pay for AEP, so some more isn't gonna hurt? It's about the principle that the highest paying customers might get screwed. This reflects effectively the situation this country is in and demonstrates the deficits managers in this country have. I am not surprised about this.

Senate votes on it this week and Charlie thought if it's good for them he can pull it off too. Go figure.

Charlie isnt stupid, he needs to maximize revenue,

keep churn to a minimum, its cheaoer to keep existing customers happy than spend big bucks to aquire new ones:)

this protects us from really bad ideas, they dont want cancelations

OK, here's a weird one....

I've got a 722, a 622, a 510, and a 508 right now. The 510 is being swapped for a 211 on Christmas (the HD Single tuner box, plus I got an external HD to plug in the back - I already paid for the supplemental drive access fee on the 722 and 622).
The EHD fee for the 612/622/722/722k is not the same fee as the EHD fee for the 211/211k/411.

You'll need to pay another $39.99 for DVR service activation on the 211.

Except for those on AEP, it looks like the monthly cost of a 722/622/722k will go up $4.

Currently the #2 HD Duo DVR costs $5.98 DVR fee + $7.00 lease fee or A/O fee totalling $12.98 and it could be $17.98 if you have no phone or ethernet connection.

New fee is $17.00, might be a $4 increase or a $0.98 decrease.

Current fee for ViP 222 is $7.00 (maybe an extra $5 if no phone line or ethernet), 322 is $5.00 plus phone line fee if applicable.

New fee for 222 and 322 will be $14.00 - biggest jump up $7 or $9 depending.

Current fee for solo SD receiver is $5, solo HD is $7.00.

New fee will be $7.00 a $2 increase for the soloSD only.

If you have AEP, just figure you're screwed and bend over - maybe they'll grandfather AEP like Absolute.

Why do I keep seeing the $5.98 DVR fee? That was removed last year. I'm paying $12.00 for each 622, a savings of $0.98. Is anybody paying $5.98 for their DVR?

Look at this post by Scott:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1630955-post7.html

Attachments

• Equipment fees.jpg
    Equipment fees.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 144
Why do I keep seeing the $5.98 DVR fee? That was removed last year. I'm paying $12.00 for each 622, a savings of $0.98. Is anybody paying $5.98 for their DVR?

Look at this post by Scott:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1630955-post7.html

Because it was mentioned by the DISH CSR in the #1 post in this thread. He said 6 duo dvr receivers on your account , you would get a 5.98 x 5= 29.90 credited back off of your 17.00 equipment price along with the 5.00 A/0 fee per dvr. So they evidently plan on crediting you the dvr fee at 5.98 per dvr receiver after the first of course. OF course this all depends on that DISH csr being right in the way he "clarified " the pricing to Scott.G.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/197184-dish-pricing-update.html

Your post is showing the equipment price the way it is today before they combine the A/0 fee into it and before they standardized the price of sd and hd receivers. After February 1st ,2010 it will all change to the new pricing I have already mentioned above.

07.00- solo tuner receivers
14.00- duo tuner receivers
17.00- duo tuner dvr receivers.

Because it was mentioned by the DISH CSR in the #1 post in this thread. He said 6 duo dvr receivers on your account , you would get a 5.98 x 5= 29.90 credited back off of your 17.00 equipment price along with the 5.00 A/0 fee per dvr.

That's why I said in one of my earlier posts that I don't think the CSR is correct about the DVR fee. He's still talking about the $5.98 DVR fee when that changed last year.

Your post is showing the equipment price the way it is today before they combine the A/0 fee into it and before they standardized the price of sd and hd receivers. After February 1st ,2010 it will all change to the new pricing I have already mentioned above.

07.00- solo tuner receivers
14.00- duo tuner receivers
17.00- duo tuner dvr receivers.

Correct. The way I understand it is that I will get charged $17.00 for a 622 and then get a credit of $5.00 for the A/O fee (connected to the phone line). I will see no price increase if they credit the A/O fee.

That's why I said in one of my earlier posts that I don't think the CSR is correct about the DVR fee. He's still talking about the $5.98 DVR fee when that changed last year.

Correct. The way I understand it is that I will get charged $17.00 for a 622 and then get a credit of $5.00 for the A/O fee (connected to the phone line). I will see no price increase if they credit the A/O fee.

The way the Csr posted it you would also get a 5.98 dvr refund so your equipment price should go down as well from 17.00-A.0 fee of 5.00 and another 5.00 or 5.98 for the dvr fee. This would bring your price down to 7.00 or 6.02 depending on the price. Unless this csr is totally wrong. I am wondering myself on this one now. I don't know if Charlie would allow the accepted price he is charging now to be reduced that much. But they are eliminating the extra dvr fees after the first come February. IF we are to accept your example of present day bundling as the model that incorporates the lease fee and the dvr fee, then they should use it to add the A/0 fees to in February. Which means it stands to reason that they will be crediting you the 5.00/5.98 dvr fee as well off of this combined fee. I guess we will see come next month.

Another example is the DISH CSR posting about his personal receiver situation. He posted that he has two duo dvrs so he would be charged one 17.00 fee. But he would have one dvr fee eliminated and his A/0 fee eliminated making his bill go up by only 6.00. This is consistent with the figures if you take 17.00 - 5.00 A/0 fee =12.00 - 5.98 dvr fee=6.02

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)