Dish Pricing Update

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
OK, here's a weird one....

I've got a 722, a 622, a 510, and a 508 right now. The 510 is being swapped for a 211 on Christmas (the HD Single tuner box, plus I got an external HD to plug in the back - I already paid for the supplemental drive access fee on the 722 and 622).

Is my future 211 no longer considered a DVR in E'*s eyes for billing purposes since it doesn't come built in?

Currently I pay $7 for a leased receiver fee on the 622, and $10 for "Solo DUO Receiver" (the two receivers got combined I guess), plus I have the AEP. If the rumor is correct, my bill is going to increase by $34 a month ($17x3=$51, less the $17 I pay now) if I stay with my current equipment..... Am I dodging half the increase by changing the 510 to a 211 with an external drive?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a problem with the calculation of Scott's bill on page 1? With the AEP there are no DVR fees so how can the CSR subtract $29.90 (5 X 5.98) from Scott's bill? It looks to me that with AEP and 5 additional DuoDvr's the net cost increase is $10 per DuoDvr for a total increase of $50. Is this the TIVO lawsuit coming back to haunt E*'s DVR users?

You are correct in some fashion about the receiver fees but they are eliminating or rolling other fees into one. But it will increase some bills and decrease some depending on what they have for programming and type of receiver family they fall into.

For example in your case with 6 duo dvrs you would be charged 17.00 per additional receiver so it would be 17.00 x 5. But you would eliminate five of your dvr fee so you would subtract 5.98 x 5. Plus you would eliminate your other five A/O fees so that would subtract another 25.00 or 30.00. So your bill will be one of the extreme ones that goes up around 30.00 because the average family does not have 6 duo dvr's. Plus if you have any tv2 connection fees those are going away. The receiver fee is only on additional receivers not the primary.

I have AEP with locals, (also sports package which sux). 1 Vip722 and 1 Vip612. $17 for 2nd receiver less $7.00 now= net $10 add. Drop sports and it will be net $4 add with less programming.

I'm with Scott, I'll either switch to Uverse or drop premiums and go to the 250 package with HD and get Netfix. and link my macbook pro.

I find it funny that Dish employees writing me have a hard time explaining the simplification. :)

It will all make sense SOON. ;) (I hope!)

OK, here's a weird one....

I've got a 722, a 622, a 510, and a 508 right now. The 510 is being swapped for a 211 on Christmas (the HD Single tuner box, plus I got an external HD to plug in the back - I already paid for the supplemental drive access fee on the 722 and 622).

Is my future 211 no longer considered a DVR in E'*s eyes for billing purposes since it doesn't come built in?

Currently I pay $7 for a leased receiver fee on the 622, and $10 for "Solo DUO Receiver" (the two receivers got combined I guess), plus I have the AEP. If the rumor is correct, my bill is going to increase by $34 a month ($17x3=$51, less the $17 I pay now) if I stay with my current equipment..... Am I dodging half the increase by changing the 510 to a 211 with an external drive?

Sorry to repeat myself..... Is anyone hear using a 211 with an external hard drive? Are you paying a DVR Fee now?

I was thinking of reupping with Dish for another two years in exchange for swapping my 622 with a new 922 when it comes out, but I'll bolt for Fios if it will cost me an extra $50 a month for no improvement....

Compared to FiOS, we're getting a deal.

appears verizon FIOS was buying the business with super low teaser rates. I have done that with MY BUSINESS, basically give it away for a short while to build customers....

but now the unreal high cost of advertising is making fios go up. just live where fios is available and you will know what i mean

and do note verizon will REFUSE to let you out of a contract even if the service doesnt work reliabiliy........

I've had Fios since February 08 for phone and internet and it has worked flawlessly. My $76 intro rate for the two combined ends in 2 months... curious to see what it goes up to..... Will it be cheaper to get the new $99 teaser rate for all phone/internet/TV PLUS get $150 back, and simply not use it (unless their PQ is better for live events)?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a problem with the calculation of Scott's bill on page 1? With the AEP there are no DVR fees so how can the CSR subtract $29.90 (5 X 5.98) from Scott's bill? It looks to me that with AEP and 5 additional DuoDvr's the net cost increase is $10 per DuoDvr for a total increase of $50. Is this the TIVO lawsuit coming back to haunt E*'s DVR users?

After February 1st there will be no more dvr discount with AEP , but there will also not be any dvr fees PER Receiver. There will only be one dvr fee PER ACCOUNT. So that is where the 29.90 comes from.

Sorry to repeat myself..... Is anyone hear using a 211 with an external hard drive? Are you paying a DVR Fee now?

I was thinking of reupping with Dish for another two years in exchange for swapping my 622 with a new 922 when it comes out, but I'll bolt for Fios if it will cost me an extra $50 a month for no improvement....

I have a 211k with dvr software that I paid 39.99 for . There is NO Dvr fee and there will not be one after February 1st unless they are going to spring it on us out of the blue.

I have 2 722Ks they work great! and a 625 which gets little use, i was planning on connecting it to my slingbox for family / friends use. Have AEP currently. all boxes connected to phone line one to ethernet

but may cut number of receivers if E raises price

Last edited:
Scott,

Please try to get clarification on AEP pricing. Will it drop if DVR fees are now included in receiver costs?

Bob

You will be charged one dvr fee and then the other dvrs on your account will have the dvr fee credited back to you. IF you read the #1 post the csr says to Scott that if he has 6 duo dvrs he will get 5 x 5.98 =29.90 credited back on his bill. IF you remember a year or two ago , DIRECTV had a discount on its Premeir pack just like DISH did with its AEP. Now it looks like DISH will be in parity with DIRECTV and only charge ONE dvr fee per account. The only way to escape it is to go with a top programming pack 100/200/250 and the WITH DVR pack that bundles your locals and dvr fee and you save .98 cents.

I have a 211k with dvr software that I paid 39.99 for . There is NO Dvr fee and there will not be one after February 1st unless they are going to spring it on us out of the blue.

That's good at least.....

Sounds like this is the new preferred upgrade path then for those upgrading secondary TVs to HDTVs in the future. Forget the dedicated DVRs... get the 211s and add your own hard drive if they are going to pursue this strategy to avoid a couple of hundred bucks a year ($17x12 months).

I have 2 722Ks they work great! and a 625 which gets little use, i was planning on connecting it to my slingbox for family / friends use. Have AEP currently. all boxes connected top phone line one to ethernet

but may cut number of receivers if E raises price

They are actually dropping the extra DVR charges after the 1st dvr. So in your case Bob you would get two 17.00 equipment charges for the second 722 and the 625 dvrs. Then they would credit you 2 x 5.98 dvr fees =11.96 and if you keep your receivers plugged into a phone line on the second and third receivers you would save another 10.00 a month. So your bill would be :

34.00 = 17.00 x 2 receiver fees
11.96 - 5.98 x2 dvr fees credited
10.00 - 5.00 x 2 A/0 fees credited for keeping your phone plugged in.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
12.04 equipment charges after credits.

So presently Bob you are paying 7.00 for lease/additional receiver fee on the second 722 dvr and paying 5.00 for the 625 dvr and you are paying 2 additional dvr fees if you don't have AEP . So lets see how much you are paying today.

07.00 - HD receiver lease/additional receiver fee
05.00 - SD receiver lease/additional receiver fee
11.96 - DVR fees 2x 5.98
10.00 - A/0 fee is you don't keep your phone lines plugged in.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
33.96 equipment charges without credits.
22.96 if you kept your phone line plugged in.
12.00 if you have AEP

So Bob it looks like to me like you will see a small increase of .04+ 5.98 dvr fee per account or 6.02 if you have AEP today and you have your phone line plugged in to all your receivers. Again this is based on what the DISH CSR said in the #1 post in this thread. Drop one premium movie pack and you would save the increase and decrease your bill too. Say you drop either Cinemax , Starz or Showtime , all at 12.99 a month or 10.00 if you have AEP. 10.00-6.02 =3.98 decrease . You would lose one premium and gain a dvr fee but you would be paying less after February 1st. OR just drop the 625 off of your bill and save the entire charge of one 17.00 equipment charge, period. Again if what the DISH CSR said in the #1 post is true.

Last edited:
You will be charged one dvr fee and then the other dvrs on your account will have the dvr fee credited back to you. IF you read the #1 post the csr says to Scott that if he has 6 duo dvrs he will get 5 x 5.98 =29.90 credited back on his bill. IF you remember a year or two ago , DIRECTV had a discount on its Premeir pack just like DISH did with its AEP. Now it looks like DISH will be in parity with DIRECTV and only charge ONE dvr fee per account. The only way to escape it is to go with a top programming pack 100/200/250 and the WITH DVR pack that bundles your locals and dvr fee and you save .98 cents.

I have one 722k, one 622, and two 612s--with the AEP, plus locals and HD Platinum and multi-sports. So I clearly won't get any credit back for DVR fees (since AEP customers don't now pay them) and all four DVRs are connected to phone/internet. So it sounds like I will see my bill go up about $26 more per month? Is that the way it sounds to you, Mike?

Yes first receiver is free.

I know it's supposed to be free. I only have one 622 and they continue to charge me $7 for it each month. I've called in and emailed the CEO address on two separate occasions. Both times they refused to remove the fee. I'll be curious to see what happens on Feb 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts