Dish Pricing Update

If you decide to get Netflix, only get the $8.99 subscription which is perfect for streaming on multiple devices. Originally, I bought the Roku Netflix Player because it was first on the block, but then I bought the Best Buy Insignia NS-WBRDVD Blu-ray. The Insignia features wireless and an interface to browse and select videos from the Netflix site, unlike the Roku where you have to use a computer first to pick your videos. I got the NS-WBRDVD for $130 right before Thanksgiving. I will buy another one of these puppies.

Thanks for that tip!
Ghpr13:)

I have 2 owned 622's, if I have one of them removed from the account will I still be able to view my recorded programming from my 5 EHD's on the receiver I have disconnected? (i.e. will the household key still be active?) If so will I be able to play on the disconnected receiver anything I newly record own on the still active receiver?

I really don't have to have the second 622, I mainly use it for overflow recording. To save $120 a year I could do without it but will keep it on the account if it will not be usable for playback otherwise. I don't need another boat anchor.

Map of LA County Map of LA County So that fact you think or believe Los Angeles is not like I claim and people who live in the middle of Los Angeles county and surrounded by LA really dont live in Los Angeles but like you think in rural america thus those people really dont live in big cities. Or the fact you think people who live in Queen, Brooklyn, Bronx, and Staten Island do not live in NYC and only people who live in Manhattan really live in NYC and people who live in other 4 burrows live in rural america too i guess.

The Cable in all 5 burrows in NY Metro area is run by TWC and Fios is available most parts of all 5 burrows too just like all the cable in Los Angeles county is run by TWC and not all of a LA county has Fios or U-Verse but big chucks do.
OT: I live in the eastern most city of LA County. See that pink long and narrow city that is less than a mile wide but about 10 miles long, The City of Industry? That part of the city between Diamond Bar and Walnut is where the new NFL stadium is going.

If you notice the city of LA (in white) takes up about 1/4 of the county (a county which is larger than some East Coast States), from San Pedro to Eagle Rock, to Sylmar, to Woodland Hills (with West Hollywood and Beverly Hills as islands surrounded by LA)? Pretty much all of the city and all of the county gets cable and most of the county gets U-Verse or FiOs. Most of my city, including my neighborhood, gets FiOs.

I have 2 owned 622's, if I have one of them removed from the account will I still be able to view my recorded programming from my 5 EHD's on the receiver I have disconnected? (i.e. will the household key still be active?) If so will I be able to play on the disconnected receiver anything I newly record own on the still active receiver?

I really don't have to have the second 622, I mainly use it for overflow recording. To save $120 a year I could do without it but will keep it on the account if it will not be usable for playback otherwise. I don't need another boat anchor.

I wonder the same about a 722K

The 20 largest cities have a population of less than 35 million people; hardly 70% of the population.
20 largest metro's have a population of around 120 million people, just under 1/2 the population.

30 largest metro's have a population of around 154 million people, ~1/2 the population.

AEP DVR fees??

If you go back to Scott's first post with the quote from a E* employee it states that he would still receive the DVR credit for AEP “But you would eliminate five of your dvr fee so you would subtract 5.98 x 5 ”

So it looks like the DVR fees will still be included in AEP. I guess we just have to wait and see.

This thread is running off, but, Dolmar stated 70% of the populus lived in the largest 20 cities. He didn't say "metros". The latest census shows under 32 million folks in those cities. If he had been more specific in his terms, nobody would be raising the BS flag. No offence intended.

How am I in a rare area?

Well, in Downtown Dallas, where at&t's headquarters is, there is no fiber for U-verse. In Downtown San Francisco's Union Square, there is also no fiber for U-verse. My two examples are for new buildings just a few blocks from at&t's major COs. Read all the articles with regards to Verizon dumping region after region because they would never invest in a fiber upgrade, let alone they won't spend the money to even maintain the area's network. Residential fiber is rare in the good ol' USA.

Most large cities are lucky to have a duopoly situation. Think about all the souls in condos in the major cities that don't have a line of sight, balcony, or the fight in them to fight their association with the FCC mandate.

Last edited:
Thing is he was just pulling it out of his A** to try and reinforce a weak point. Now we see that as i had said that the array of choices he has is not available to the majority of people. If they were then both E* & d8 would be in trouble.

AEP DVR fees??

If you go back to Scott's first post with the quote from a E* employee it states that he would still receive the DVR credit for AEP “But you would eliminate five of your dvr fee so you would subtract 5.98 x 5 ”

So it looks like the DVR fees will still be included in AEP. I guess we just have to wait and see.

DIRECTV has one dvr fee on it's version of AEP: Premeir pack. IF DISH does as I think they will do , they will also have one dvr fee and the other dvrs on your account will not have any dvr fees. I think DISH is losing or has lost many AEP subs due to the economy and they are making the move to eliminate the extra dvr fees . IF all dvr fees are eliminated after the first , more people could actually add more receivers without fear of being dinged for the dvr fee and the A/0 fee. So essentially you are paying the extra lease or additional receiver fee of 7.00 . This would increase people who will take extra dvr receivers for their other tvs ,which still makes DISH money, selling more receivers and extra receiver fees and also allows more satisfaction for DISH subs. Essentially something more for your money than paying useless dvr fees.

This thread is running off, but, Dolmar stated 70% of the populus lived in the largest 20 cities. He didn't say "metros". The latest census shows under 32 million folks in those cities. If he had been more specific in his terms, nobody would be raising the BS flag. No offence intended.

70% might have been an over exaggeration on my part but I was at least trying to show a large part of the population lives in those large metro areas vs the people claiming only 32 million folks live in the larger cities are nit picking on the fact I used "Cities" and not Metro in my first post, then after I corrected that continue to harp on word Cities etc even tho I used both interchangeable. Some went as far as to say I was pretty much lying until I posted web pages backing up my facts, Then changed the argument I said Cities first, which was changed quickly to Metro's in my 2nd post when I caught the mistake.

The difference from 70% to 50% is much less than BS number some are claiming that less than 32 mil live in big cities etc and only 32 mil have access to U-verse or Fios. When Most of Metro NYC and Los Angeles have access to one or the other. Their alone aprox 40 Mil people live.

Just to continue to prove my point here is a map showing where U-Verse is currently offered while I understand not all parts in a city might be covered the fact is some parts of those cities have coverage and coverage in this cities will continue to expand.

ATT U-verse availability Map - dslreports.com

Same is true for Verizon and here is the map.

Verizon FiOS Availability Map - dslreports.com

Yes I fully understand both ATT and Verizon are more than likely expanding faster in places like Los Angeles and NYC over places like Boise Idaho but are you telling us that Dish Network is willing to write off people in top 10-20 largest metro area? That is a very large % of the population. Dish Network is missing 1 thing that separates them from everyone else like Direct TV, they don't have an exclusive on anything like some of the sporting events like NFL Sunday Ticket or Nascar ticket, which if you want it you got 1 choice direct tv or nothing, as no cable or sat or phone company offers those packages.

Uverse is by far not all that its cracked up to be! I just came from uverse. Try explaining to the wife that your watching cops in HD on the main tv, and recording Dog the bounty hunter on A&E HD and then her show on SyFy HD gets cut off during the middle of the programming!

ATT's stream limits are killing them. Also, the PQ is ok on some channels, and others not so great. ATT is doing Fiber to the Home only in NEW subdivisions. ATT should be running Fiber to the prem in ALL installations. ATT knows this but they are trying to pull fast one on everyone, just like how they haven't expanded their 3g network sense the iphone's launch!

Three things killing ATT right now

1. Uverse Stream limits IE: no fiber to the prem.
2. Docys 3.0
3. Lack of g3 Coverage

Scott - I think the big questions are:

1 ) Is it true that you get $5 per month credit for phone line, so $17-$5=$12 ?

2 ) How are 501s/508s/721-replacements affected ?

3 ) Clarification on which receiver is which pricing (notably, is ViP612 only $7 ? Seems unlikely) ?

PS I second the motion to ignore those complaining about your info posts... it is an important part of Satellite Guys.

What they show to me

70% might have been an over exaggeration on my part but I was at least trying to show a large part of the population lives in those large metro areas vs the people claiming only 32 million folks live in the larger cities are nit picking on the fact I used "Cities" and not Metro in my first post, then after I corrected that continue to harp on word Cities etc even tho I used both interchangeable. Some went as far as to say I was pretty much lying until I posted web pages backing up my facts, Then changed the argument I said Cities first, which was changed quickly to Metro's in my 2nd post when I caught the mistake.

The difference from 70% to 50% is much less than BS number some are claiming that less than 32 mil live in big cities etc and only 32 mil have access to U-verse or Fios. When Most of Metro NYC and Los Angeles have access to one or the other. Their alone aprox 40 Mil people live.

Just to continue to prove my point here is a map showing where U-Verse is currently offered while I understand not all parts in a city might be covered the fact is some parts of those cities have coverage and coverage in this cities will continue to expand.

ATT U-verse availability Map - dslreports.com

Same is true for Verizon and here is the map.

Verizon FiOS Availability Map - dslreports.com

Yes I fully understand both ATT and Verizon are more than likely expanding faster in places like Los Angeles and NYC over places like Boise Idaho but are you telling us that Dish Network is willing to write off people in top 10-20 largest metro area? That is a very large % of the population. Dish Network is missing 1 thing that separates them from everyone else like Direct TV, they don't have an exclusive on anything like some of the sporting events like NFL Sunday Ticket or Nascar ticket, which if you want it you got 1 choice direct tv or nothing, as no cable or sat or phone company offers those packages.

What your maps show to me is that unless I move then I have now chance of getting any competition except D*. Also these maps show that It isn't as wide spread as you are trying to point out.