Dish Pro Quad.....

bpasker8

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 20, 2003
Stupid question here from someone that is new to satellite tv... What is a Dish Pro Quad or Dual or whatever else is out there? I'm assuming its the number of coax cables that come out of your dish, but what would you need more than one coax?

I think I have two cables coming out of mine into my home, but then can't I just use a splitter on one of them once inside my home and run them to both of my receivers? I'm all set up so I don't have to worry about it now, however we have been thinking of adding a DVR to our two room setup and if I can't run a splitter or diplexer to split my upstairs signal into my 311 (or whatever I have for my non HD TV) and the new DVR we are thinking about getting then I'm hosed yo....

Any help I can get is appreciated...

I don't believe that hooking up a splitter will work. You would have to send the signal through a switch to have multiple signals come out. Also, in order to pull it off, even with a DishPro LNB, you have to send two wires into the switch, not really sure why though.

You simplest solution would probably be to figure out a way to run the extra wire for the PVR/DVR. Keep in mind that if you use one of the two-tuner receivers (721/522/921), you will need to run two wires to the receiver.

In that case you are back to where a switch (like a DP34) might be a good solution. Remember though that the switch will require two input wires, even off a DishPro LNB.

Would running one wire to the location (in my case, my living room) and then using a switch work to get the two tuners to work? I haven't gotten a 322/522 yet, but I was thinking about it once they are available to existing customers.

322/522 must have two cables from the dish to each receiver you cannot split signals as you would on cable systems. Satellite systems use control voltages on the cable to select polarity and satellite choices so the signals must come directly from the dish. This requirement is what determines some locations are just not suited to use of these two receivers(only single cables prerun with no access for more).

bpasker8 said:
Stupid question here from someone that is new to satellite tv... What is a Dish Pro Quad or Dual or whatever else is out there? I'm assuming its the number of coax cables that come out of your dish, but what would you need more than one coax?

I think I have two cables coming out of mine into my home, but then can't I just use a splitter on one of them once inside my home and run them to both of my receivers? I'm all set up so I don't have to worry about it now, however we have been thinking of adding a DVR to our two room setup and if I can't run a splitter or diplexer to split my upstairs signal into my 311 (or whatever I have for my non HD TV) and the new DVR we are thinking about getting then I'm hosed yo....

Any help I can get is appreciated...

Here's an abbrivated lesson on how Dishpro works.

Dishpro Twin - 2 satellites, 110, 119 (Dish 500) output to two tuners.
Dishpro Quad - 2 satellites, 110, 119 output to four tuners
Dishpro Single - 1 satellite (whatever you point it at), output to 1 tuner
Dishpro Dual - 1 satellite (wherever), output to two tuners

DP34 switch - combines three satelites (3 singles or twin and a single), and creates the output to 4 recievers.
DP21 switch - combines 2 satellites into one signal for one tuner output. This allows two DP Duals, two DP21's to equal what a DPTwin can do.

Your reciever sends signals to your LNBF (where it's a Twin, Quad, Dual, whatever..). Dishpro send two levels of frequencies (called "stacking") whereas legacy only sends one frequency. Dishpro recievers are backwards compatable, but Legacy recievers (any model with 4 digits, 4000, 6000, 2700, etc.) are not and need legacy switches and LNBF's.

Because of the stacking of the signals, splitters rarely work. Usually, if you go through a retailer or Dish Network to get your add'l rcvr, they'll send a tech who will just swap out the twin with a quad.

so let me get this right, for my example I have the dish 500 (i beleive only the dual, but haven't checked), I have the 811 and 311. If I want to add a 501 that I buy off ebay I would also need to add a quad lnb to my dish to run a seperate coax into my home for each receiver?

bpasker8 said:
so let me get this right, for my example I have the dish 500 (i beleive only the dual, but haven't checked), I have the 811 and 311. If I want to add a 501 that I buy off ebay I would also need to add a quad lnb to my dish to run a seperate coax into my home for each receiver?

Yes, and most likely you have a DPTwin. It'll be about 6 inches wide, a Dual is about 3 inches wide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)