Dish probably just lost me as a customer

I say it time and time again, one of reasons why I will not cut the Dish Cord is the Internet that I have. We have Frontier and while it is not to bad with the MBPS, there will be moments that my family will complain that the Internet is down again. Sometimes, 3 to 4 times a day, sometimes more. My wife and I have talked about it, but we have had Dish since 2001. We did switch to Directv in 2004 or 2005, but once we had our local channels available on Dish, we came back to Dish. We have never had anyone from Dish ever being rude, if either my wife or I have called them with questions.

I am not a cord cutter either, as I like Dish and some programming I cannot get elsewhere and Dish has been good to me. I am a cord shaver, basically getting channels not available elsewhere, like the ton of International English news channels with no charges. Add to that diginets not available here OTA and ones Dish doesn't have as yet. So it is good to have access to more choices. I have both a Fire TV and Roku's.

If $95 is the difference between retaining Dish or not, then you definitely should cancel. Sat TV is not a necessity and it sounds like you have bigger problems.

Sounds like you wanted to cancel before you picked up the phone and called them about the signal issues.

If $95 is the difference between retaining Dish or not, then you definitely should cancel. Sat TV is not a necessity and it sounds like you have bigger problems.

Bigger problems no, thinking about cancelling before this happened, absolutely. I have Dish because I am a sports junkie, and Dish fed that better than DTV. DTV wins on pro football but Dish on most other sports I like plus the Hopper3 allows me to time shift the games better than the DTV offering. Thing is my big three, MLB/NHL/Aussie Rules are now available via discreet internet subscription rendering Dish mostly superfluous. I kept it around for College Football, FS1/2 soccer and the Big Ten (Wisconsin native). The latest issue with paying to repoint my dish basically makes it not worth the effort though I am still mulling it over, at the suggestion of the CSR I put it on pause running out the $50 bucks I have on account, maybe I change my mind.

The money I can save from cancelling Dish will more than pay for the baseball, hockey and Aussie Rules subs, so there is that.

I may be moving on soon myself.....my Comcast internet two year plan is up in 2 months, and they'll gouge me, as they do. I have held off until now on bundles because I work DISH to my advantage. But even DISH may need to finally end....it's dying technology.

But frankly as I go thru the TV I find I watch two things: (1) sports and (2) network channels. I watch TNT/TBS during basketball season, and then almost zero. Used to watch the cable networks like USA, FX, but there's zero there.

Comcast has their own streaming package with locals and my same internet for about $75. I can add for another $35 most of my sports channels to Comcast Instant TV. So this may be the ticket. The problem is Comcast's online DVR is a measly 20 hours....Sheesh, that's so low, and I can't figure out if I can buy more....

I've tried several linear OTT services in the last 6 months, came to the conclusion none of them fill the bill for me, multiple reasons:
1) All the "DVR" solutions just suck compared to the Hopper3, DVR functionality might be attected by my slow DSL
2) My 10mb DSL just isn't made for OTT
3) The program grid function is not "optimal.
4) None of the have enough sports programming, Dish was mainly used for sport. This appears to be slowly changing.
5) Limits on number of simultaneous streams

Services trialed: Hulu w/Live TV, Sling, DTV Now, Playstation Vue and YouTubeTV

Sling w/Orange and Blue came the closest to meeting my desires having ESPN/FS1/FS2

With more sports having their own streaming services I can make do with MLB.TV/NHL.TV and Aussie Rules from Australia though sometimes my slow DSL is still an issue.

You answered your Question here. You need a faster internet connection? Viasat, Hughes Net or something like them to fast stream .

Services trialed: Hulu w/Live TV, Sling, DTV Now, Playstation Vue and YouTubeTV

Sling w/Orange and Blue came the closest to meeting my desires having ESPN/FS1/FS2

With more sports having their own streaming services I can make do with MLB.TV/NHL.TV and Aussie Rules from Australia though sometimes my slow DSL is still an issue.
Hulu, Sling, PS Vue, and Youtube TV all offer ESPN/FS1/FS2.

Better then the 10 mb DSL? Cable is best if you can get it in your location.

There's no way limited, high latency and over sold Hughesnet or Viasat is better than unlimited 10 meg DSL.

I happen to have all three of those services here including 10 meg DSL and the DSL wins hands down every time. Sure Hughesnet and Viasat are a little faster on the speed tests but there's no comparison in actual throughput. And after you stream a few shows and hit your limit on the satellite internet services they slow you down to a crawl.

There's no way limited, high latency and over sold Hughesnet or Viasat is better than unlimited 10 meg DSL.

I happen to have all three of those services here including 10 meg DSL and the DSL wins hands down every time. Sure Hughesnet and Viasat are a little faster on the speed tests but there's no comparison in actual throughput. And after you stream a few shows and hit your limit on the satellite internet services they slow you down to a crawl.

I do not watch streams during the work day. Early Morning or late evening viewing/streaming I work during the day.

You answered your Question here. You need a faster internet connection? Viasat, Hughes Net or something like them to fast stream .
I know I need faster Internet BUT as JSheridan said satellite internet ain't the answer, stupid caps and the latency will kill lots of applications, as a network engineer I can tell you it isn't always the size of the pipe, sometimes it's the latency, talk to my customers in Thule Greenland and Diego Garcia BIOT about latency issues. I live on the eastern plains of Colorado, DSL or in some places LTE are the only available solutions. I knew this when I moved here so I don't complain too much about the lack of availability of faster internet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)