Dish Programming Changes (Effective August 1st)

But does AEP cover ALL DVRS on the account? I currently have DVRA with the $10 AT-250 add on, as well as the $10 HD add on. If I read this correctly (and I probably didn't) I will end up paying $2 more a month under the new terms. With two DVRs they add another $6 for the 2nd one so I am paying $73/mo before the mirroring fees on the additional 2 receivers on my account. In my situation I am not sure what the best pack is for me, and with the confusing info on the press release I am not sure I want to call and ask. Sounds like they would just raise my bill for asking.

Am I correct, that these changes makes the Everything Pack a much better deal at least for new customers? I've never thought it gives customers much of a savings, but it seems to now with these changes.

Everything Pack $97.98 (DVR included), Locals $5.00, HD & Platinum $10.00 = $102.98

Classic 250 with DVR and Locals $67.99
HD & Platinum $10.00
HBO $15.99
Cinemax $12.99
Showtime $12.99
Starz $12.99

Total $127.98 making Everything Pack a $25 a month savings

No you are mistaken in your math, yes AEP is $97.99 + locals $5 = $102.99 then add $10 for HD & Platinum for a total of $112.99.

Yes Classic Gold 250 with DVR and locals are $67.99.
Yes HD & Platinum is $10.
However you still get bundled pricing for the movie packages, just not for HD and the 250 pack. HBO, Cinamax, Showtime and Starz are still a $40 bundle, for a total of $117.99. With only1 DVR you still save $5 with AEP, with additional DVR's you will save $5 x (# of additional DVR's).

So, I have DDA (includes locals) Classic 100 Bronze HD for $54.99 per month.

If I understand things correctly, my bill amount will not change.

If I understand things correctly I will not lose any channels.

There is still debate however if the Platinum HD will get added automatically come August 1 to my Bronze HD add on.

Am I missing something?

No you are mistaken in your math, yes AEP is $97.99 + locals $5 = $102.99 then add $10 for HD & Platinum for a total of $112.99.

Yes Classic Gold 250 with DVR and locals are $67.99.
Yes HD & Platinum is $10.
However you still get bundled pricing for the movie packages, just not for HD and the 250 pack. HBO, Cinamax, Showtime and Starz are still a $40 bundle, for a total of $117.99. With only1 DVR you still save $5 with AEP, with additional DVR's you will save $5 x (# of additional DVR's).

Oh ok. I guess I was interpreting that you would not get bundled pricing at all anymore for movies.

Oh ok. I guess I was interpreting that you would not get bundled pricing at all anymore for movies.
The guy thats going to get screwed, Is the Customer that has top 250 with HD Gold and HBO.
He's paying now $31, He will be paying $35.99 after August 1st.
Customers that subscribe to 3 or more Premium movie packs and Americas Everything pack, should see no price increase.

The guy thats going to get screwed, Is the Customer that has top 250 with HD Gold and HBO.
Customers that subscribe to 3 or more Premium movie packs and Americas Everything pack, should see no price increase.

The good news is current customers paying that won't see a change. So if you are paying for Gold HD, Classic 250 Bonus Pack, and HBO, it will remain at $31 unless you drop it or switch to the new HD & Platinum package.

Yes that's correct, however if I am not mistaken, if that customer decides not to take the new HD&Platinum package, he will be grandfathered in at least for now and pay the same rate. If that customer decides he wants the new package, he will then give up his grandfathered status and pay that new $35.99 rate, so basically he will be getting all 11 of the Platinum channels for just $4.99, still a much better deal then paying the old $10 price for Platinum. Thus the reason some but probably not all currant customers will need to call in and change their package if they want the new HD&Platinum..

I currently have AEP w/ locals ($102.98 monthly) and pay $20 extra for GoldHD and PlatinumHD. I just spoke with a Dish CSR who indicated the $10/month HD&Platinum package will only be extended to new entrants to HD service. Of course, Dish is always looking to screw their existing customer base, so I complained that this didn't seem fair to those who have been longtime customers.

As I was subsequently taking steps to cancel my PlatinumHD service, the CSR advised I should call in on August 1st and cancel my HD service. I should then call back the following day and (re)establish. The CSR said I would then qualify for the $10/month HD&Platinum package.

I fully expect there to be resistance when I attempt this, but this was the exact advice provided by a Dish employee.

Have others received the same direction?

Dish CSRs in general do not understand new packages and changes in programming until AFTER they have been implemented. I bet if you call back 5 times you will get 5 different answers. :)

Dish CSRs in general do not understand new packages and changes in programming until AFTER they have been implemented. I bet if you call back 5 times you will get 5 different answers. :)

This is also true of the Retailer CSR's. Don't waste your time with August programming changes UNTIL August 1. There are plans, not yet decided, that can change the offers. It seems like the Classic accounts are set to what this thread has presented. The remainder of accounts will be decided by Aug 1. Remember, Dish wants to remain the most price competitive provider regardless of what their subs my elect to purchase.

Latest HD programming update for Aug 1st.......Classic customers with Add On HD will need to call to add the Platinum chs to their respective Classic + Add On HD pack. If the customer doesn't call on or after 8/01, their account will PROACTIVELY ADD THE CHANNELS currently offered in the Platinum pack. No time frame update. All current Chs in the Platinum pack will qualify for all levels of Classic. For DDA accts, Add ON HD will be considered as a Premium group along with Movie chs and Playboy. This will permit Add ON HD to be priced with any other service at the price: 2---$22/mo---3---$31----4---$40---5---$50----6---$60.

Latest HD programming update for Aug 1st.......Classic customers with Add On HD will need to call to add the Platinum chs to their respective Classic + Add On HD pack. If the customer doesn't call on or after 8/01, their account will PROACTIVELY ADD THE CHANNELS currently offered in the Platinum pack. No time frame update. All current Chs in the Platinum pack will qualify for all levels of Classic. For DDA accts, Add ON HD will be considered as a Premium group along with Movie chs and Playboy. This will permit Add ON HD to be priced with any other service at the price: 2---$22/mo---3---$31----4---$40---5---$50----6---$60.
Thanks for the information...but I must ask you: Is this a quote from E* or are you writing this yourself? I ask because the sentence that I've bolded above doesn't make any sense. If the platinum channels are proactively added, then no call would be necessary. If, on the other hand, a call is necessary, then -- by the very definition of the word "proactive" -- this cannot possibly be considered a proactive change.

Thanks for the information...but I must ask you: Is this a quote from E* or are you writing this yourself? I ask because the sentence that I've bolded above doesn't make any sense. If the platinum channels are proactively added, then no call would be necessary. If, on the other hand, a call is necessary, then -- by the very definition of the word "proactive" -- this cannot possibly be considered a proactive change.

Info on this thread is from Exec off at Dish. Previous posts to this thread focused on this. The term proactively pertains to the time required for the system to accomplish the additions which was also outlined in previous posts to this thread. I can't be responsible for that staff person's terminology.

I think what Jerry's exec meant to say is that they will "proactively" add the channels automatically when they darn well get around to it at some date in the future after August 1st. Unless you call first and get them added instantly. Many of us think this delay is bogus since computers are much faster at doing things than CSRs. Perhaps Dish only has one programmer on staff, and he's busy with other more important things. ;)
For DDA accts, Add ON HD will be considered as a Premium group along with Movie chs and Playboy. This will permit Add ON HD to be priced with any other service at the price: 2---$22/mo---3---$31----4---$40---5---$50----6---$60.
Now that is a direct contradiction to what it says in Scott's first post. You sure you got that right?

I too thank you for your help/inquiries/illumination even if I'm skeptical of the answer.

If I understand all that I read before , I believe what I think is being said is that DISH is returning to the easier programming packs and the clearer way to combine them.

DVR advantage will become any classic pack WITH DVR . The only question that remains is will it still include a $3.00 credit like dvr advantage does today? Also any classic programming pack like bronze, silver , gold with hd +platinum for 10.00. The premium movie packs for Hbo/Starz/Showtime/Cinemax/Playboy can still be combined and bundled to save.

2 premiums for 22.00.
3 premiums for 31.00.
4 premiums for 40.00.
5 premiums for 50.00.

You will NOT be able to count hd as a premium pack any longer if you add it to the premium movie packs listed above . No more counting the 250 bonus packs as premium and no more counting Platinum as a premium pack since it won't exist come 8/01/09.

Hmm so if you have Cinemax for a penny then the only way to get to four is with the SD Playboy channel. Won't be doing that.

I wonder why they didnt just drop the Platinum channels into Gold? A lot of Silver people would have upgraded to Gold with the extra channels. Dish would have made some money.

Last edited:
Due to a low level of native intelligence (heredity factors) and lack of formal education, I hope someone can help me out. I have read this thread and related information at the Dish website and tried to make heads or tails of it as it applies to me to no avail.

I have a vip622, AEP ($97.98), GoldHD ($10), PlatinumHD ($10) and the DHPP ($5.99). I'm thinking of also getting locals soon which I guess will cost another five or six bucks. In language an idiot like me can understand, can someone tell me what my situation will be and how or if it will change come Aug. 1?

I think what Jerry's exec meant to say is that they will "proactively" add the channels automatically when they darn well get around to it at some date in the future after August 1st. Unless you call first and get them added instantly. Many of us think this delay is bogus since computers are much faster at doing things than CSRs. Perhaps Dish only has one programmer on staff, and he's busy with other more important things. ;)
Now that is a direct contradiction to what it says in Scott's first post. You sure you got that right?

I too thank you for your help/inquiries/illumination even if I'm skeptical of the answer.

From the Email received, the Add On HD pack is to be treated as a Premium pack when movie chs and PB are bundled. This makes 6 Premium choices. This will be a perk for DDA customers. Any changes to this plan will be posted as soon as received.

It’s a sad situation but Dish exhibits all the attributes of a company in complete disarray. This is evidenced by the following:

Constantly changing their program packages and making the changes so confusing that these most current changes warrants almost 200 messages on this thread alone from people attempting to decipher (myself included) these changes.

CSR’s that are basically clueless about Dish offerings, changes one can make, various fees and other customer related issues. Further evidence of this is the tactic some of the more astute Dish subscribers employ which is to hang up on a CSR who doesn’t know about something or supplies you with incorrect information and call right back to get another CSR who usually supplies you with different information. Some have called several times to find a CSR who knows what’s going on.

Dish’s habit of arbitrarily removing channels with no notice to or consideration for its customers.

Amateurish advertising.

An AEP package that is not.

There are other examples of the disarray at this company but I think these listed ones get the point across.

What then keeps them in business? Well, believe it or not, unless you’re a sports fanatic I believe Dish has the best programming of the two satellite providers and we all know of the superiority of the receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)