Dish Programming Changes (Effective August 1st)

IT seems I got charged a prorated fee for the Platinum Hd for half of my billing cycle ending the 15th or maybe not you know how confusing it gets. :confused::)
Scott, are you really surprised that some at Dish are perturbed at you? Do you think this might hurt you with regard to your connections at Dish? Thanks for looking out for us!

Nicely handled in a chat!

Please wait while we find a representative to assist you...
You have been connected to (24DrDcb) Brandi S. OFB.
(24DrDcb) Brandi S. OFB: Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer, I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me 2-3 minutes to access your account and review the information you have already provided.
(24DrDcb) Brandi S. OFB: I will be glad to assist you with any questions that you may have about the cost of your HD programming.
(24DrDcb) Brandi S. OFB: For account security purposes, can I please verify the full name and address with zip code that is on the account?
William Murphey:
(24DrDcb) Brandi S. OFB: Thank you for that information. Please allow me 2-3 minutes to review your account to see if you are being charged the $10 for the HD package with Platinum.
(24DrDcb) Brandi S. OFB: I show that it has not automatically switched over to the package that includes the HD Gold with Platinum for the $10 but I will be glad to assist you in making that change for you today.
(24DrDcb) Brandi S. OFB: This will take me about another 2-3 minutes to make that change.
(24DrDcb) Brandi S. OFB: Your patience is greatly appreciated.
(24DrDcb) Brandi S. OFB: I am almost done updating your account for you.
(24DrDcb) Brandi S. OFB: I have updated your account so that you have the Gold HD with Platinum for the $10.00. I show that your monthly rate is now $132.97.
William Murphey: Thank you, Brandi.
(24DrDcb) Brandi S. OFB: You're very welcome.
(24DrDcb) Brandi S. OFB: Have I answered everything to your satisfaction?
William Murphey: Yes.
(24DrDcb) Brandi S. OFB: I'm glad we were able to take care of that for you. Thank you for being a DISH Network customer, have a great day!
William Murphey: Bye.
(24DrDcb) Brandi S. OFB: Since you have indicated that there is nothing more that I can assist you with, I will now be ending this chat session. Thank you for being a DISH Network customer, have a great day.
Thank you for visiting Dish Network. You may now close this window.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.
spacer.gif

Scott, are you really surprised that some at Dish are perturbed at you?

Why would they be mad at Scott? He was simply advertising deals that *E themselves posted. He merely spread the word (sucessfully) that *E advertised (not so sucessfully). If anything, they owe Scott a thank you.

In addition, if they were so upset about it, and it isn't supposed to be offered to current subscribers, why are they still giving it to current subscribers much after the "mistake" was discovered? I understand that it could be hard to get all the CSR's on the same page at once, but when I asked to add the plat. package this morning, I didn't mention it being free. THEY did. That's how it showed up in their system.

Unless Scott was specifically asked not to pass the word on about the *E promotion, I don't see why they should be upset. Just my 2 cents.

I checked my account activity since last statement and this what showed up today.....the net effect is a 8.96 credit.....i assume the the 8.96 credit is due to a partial month (26 days)....10.00 X 26/31 = 8.39 close enuf :)

STATE TAXES -$0.58
08/03 08/03 GOLDHD 08/03 TO 08/28 -$8.38
08/03 08/03 PLATINUMHD 08/03 TO 08/28 -$8.38
08/03 08/03 HD & PLATINUM 08/03 TO 08/28 $8.38

I take it the CSR made the correct adjustment ......am I right ?

My experience yesterday was as yours. A little different amounts. As I already had the classic 250 with gold hd and plat hd. Checked my online account after it was not available to view yesterday and had 2 credits of 8.06 and 1 charge of 8.06. So all is good and I will save 10.00 a month.

My experience yesterday was as yours. A little different amounts. As I already had the classic 250 with gold hd and plat hd. Checked my online account after it was not available to view yesterday and had 2 credits of 8.06 and 1 charge of 8.06. So all is good and I will save 10.00 a month.

Good deal......

And thanks to Scott and this thread for saving me some $$$.......and IMO I really doubt DISH would have given me the Platinum credit unless I called and brought this issue to their attention.

Stargate, Spartacus, Bullitt, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Natural , Lawrence of Arabia, Field of Dreams, American Graffiti, Blazing Saddles, A Nightmare On Elm Street ... only place to see them in HD...nothing special :) ---HDNet movies has movies that play the BEFORE they're released to the theaters too. This was the only channel I really missed when I dropped Platinum last year.

MGM Movies is also pretty good, but I find their movies, in general, to be second-rate.

See ya
Tony

Agreed...HDNet Movies is the reason I kept adding Platinum back every time the logical part of my brain told me to drop it. People don't understand how valuable that channel is for movie lovers. It's almost as good as TCM.

just got on here and saw they may not add this automatically so i went onto Dish chat just now and got the plat pack free!
here is my chat:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
You have been connected to (24DrDcb) Adam K. K9V.
(24DrDcb) Adam K. K9V: Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer, I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me 2-3 minutes to access your account and review the information you have already provided.
(24DrDcb) Adam K. K9V: For account security purposes, can you please verify the full name and address with zip code that is on the account?
me:
(24DrDcb) Adam K. K9V: Thank you.
(24DrDcb) Adam K. K9V: How can I provide you with the best value and service today?
me: hi, how do i add the platinum Hd package? i dont see the option online to order it?
(24DrDcb) Adam K. K9V: I don't believe we are offering that as a separate package anymore. Please give me just a moment and I will see what we can do to get that for you.
(24DrDcb) Adam K. K9V: I was correct. We are now including that with our regular HD packages, so I have added that for you at no additional cost. You should start seeing those channels within the next 15-20 minutes if you are not already able to view them. Go ahead and check and see if they are showing please.
me: ok, hold on please
(24DrDcb) Adam K. K9V: Sure.
me: yes,they are on now,great! thank you
(24DrDcb) Adam K. K9V: You are very welcome. Are there any other issues that I can assist you with this afternoon?
me: no,that is all i was trying to do today,thanks again for your prompt service. goodbye
(24DrDcb) Adam K. K9V: You're very welcome.
(24DrDcb) Adam K. K9V: I'm glad we were able to take care of that for you. Thank you for being a DISH Network customer, have a great day.
[/FONT]
spacer.gif

Thanks for the heads up, I was able to via phone add the platinum channels, get 3 months free of HBO/Starz and activate my 4th receiver/7th tuner without a problem. I have the AEP + HD pack.

Scott, are you really surprised that some at Dish are perturbed at you?
Yes and no. Yes because I was the first to talk about it and also reported on it from the retailer chat.

But if I didn't do it someone else would have. Anyone can watch a retailer chat, just go down to your local retailer or Sears store and tune to channel 999 and enjoy. Before the Slingbox was out I use to go down to my local Sams Club and watch the chats there. Now with Sling technology, a number of retailers from around the country have given me access to watch using Echostar's own Sling technology.

Many years ago (when I was at DBSTalk) I started covering the retailer chats and Dish was fine with it as long as I didn't report dealer sensitive items such as costs and profits. I have honored that request and have been reporting on the retailer chats ever sense.

Now with that out of the way, it wasn't me who made their website and advertised that the Platinum HD package was available with ANY HD package. I am not the one who didn't put in anything about new subscribers only. The way they advertised it made it appear that it was for EVERYONE.

I am not the bad guy here, its Dish Networks marketing and web team that should take the knife here. They did it not me.

The only thing I did was tell you guys about it because the deal was a good one and was as Dish advertised it on their own site.

Do you think this might hurt you with regard to your connections at Dish? Thanks for looking out for us!
To me it don't really matter, Dish is better off working with me then without us.

I get so much internal documentation leaked to me by many sources that I could have a field day posting stuff all day long.

For example software release notes...

Dish was providing us with customer friendly software release notes for years. Then it just stopped, they blamed employee changes in the reason why it stoped, but what they don't know is (until now) is I get the internal software release notes from engineering.

For example on Wednesday Dish Network is planning on putting out new software for the 722k line of receivers. The new software will be L654 and will contain the following fixes and updates...

"New drivers, IRD (dynamic) Text III, Persistent SI, EMM Seg. Fixes, 8PSK spot (alternate) check switch,phone line pop-up changes, check switch polarity assumption changes, DRA timer icon removal/updates, DishONLINE updates/fixes, D500+ Integrated, further check switch changes, rapid channel change black screen fix, locks menu updates, VOD in EPG navigation fixes, DQT text message #3 update (PIA), DishONLINE 48 hour expiration fix, VOD in EPG HDCP support, ch. 1 fix, forced standby IRD fix, Misc."

Now I am sure Dish don't want me posting those notes, they are too confusing and will probably generate more tech support calls because some customer reads them here. As you can see the notes are confusing which is why we need to get consumer friendly release notes. And thus thats why I don't post these notes.

We serve more satellite customers then any other satellite site in the United States. We are over 140,000 members strong serving almost 400,000 unique IP addresses a month.

My goal is not to piss off Dish Network but to work with them to provide our members the most accurate and easy to understand information as possible. I want to work with Dish, but they must want to work with me.

Another issue is that they have such high turnover at Dish that we are always working with someone new. Doing this is like reinventing the wheel over and over again. Over the years I have made some good official contacts at Dish and we made amazing progress and a great relationship and then one day that person is no longer there anymore, so you need to work with someone new, someone whos never heard of SatelliteGuys (and in a lot of cases people who barely know anything about the company they are working for!) So then we work to get them up to speed on things (takes a lot of time) and things get good in our relationship with Dish and then boom... that person is gone and we start again.

Currently this is what we are going through, starting with someone new and there is resistance there because I know too much.

We can be an amazing FREE assit to Dish Network (and DirecTV) some folks in the company know this and others do not.

If a company does not want to work close to us then thats fine, but I don't want them getting upset at me when I post stuff that I get unofficially since nothing is being sent to me officially.

Dish is better off working with me and us here at SatelliteGuys. I want to work with Dish, but in turn they need to want to work with me. I can't force them to do that, so until then I will have to work with what I have and thank all of my contacts and insiders for their help. :)

I am proud that we are North America's Largest and most respected satellite forums. I am also proud that we put you the consumers interests in line first.

I would rather speak good things about both satellite companies, but as you have seen we can't do that if we are going to be fair to you our members. Since 2002 we have been calling it like we see it, and thats not going to change.

Thanks for being SatelliteGuys and Gals. :)

It appears that annual subscribers can't get the Platinum channels added to an HD pack...any ideas to work around this other than changing to monthly payments? Chat transcript is below:

You have been connected to (03) Anthony K.
(03) Anthony K: Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer, I will be happy to assist you today. Please

give me 2-3 minutes to access your account and review the information you have already provided.

Me : ok
(03) Anthony K: Your patience is greatly appreciated.
(03) Anthony K: We appreciate your interest.
(03) Anthony K: I will be glad to help you with the issue John.
(03) Anthony K: For account security purposes, can I please verify the full name and address with zip code that is on the account?

Me: <deleted>
(03) Anthony K: Thank you for the verification provided.
(03) Anthony K: We appreciate your cooperation in this regard John.
(03) Anthony K: I see that you have Classic Gold 250 with Gold HD package which is the best programming package provided by Dish Network.

Me: right
(03) Anthony K: I see that you have Classic Gold 250 as annual package on the account.
Me: yes, with the HD package as a separate monthly charge

(03) Anthony K: I am sorry to inform that with the annual package we will not be able to add the free Platinum HD pack.
Me: I can't find anywhere on the web site where that restriction is noted. On the page for the Classic Gold 250 package it says clearly that Platinum HD is included free now with all HD packages.
(03) Anthony K: However if you want you can change to monthly Classic Gold 250 package and we will be able to add.
Me: And my HD package is billed monthly
(03) Anthony K: If you change the Classic Gold 250 package as monthly package I will be able to add free Platinum HD pack along with the Gold HD Pack.
(03) Anthony K: May I know do you want to have Classic Gold 250 as monthly package?
Me: no, I just paid my yearly payment. This does not make sense -- it is a benefit for Dish to get annual payments.
(03) Anthony K: I understand your concern.
(03) Anthony K: I wish I could help you, however I am sorry.

Me: Ok, I know you are restricted by the system. I'll try to call later. Thanks for your time.
(03) Anthony K: We appreciate your cooperation.
(03) Anthony K: Please remember you can view and pay your bill, order PPV's and change your programming with your online account.
(03) Anthony K: You are all set. Have I handled everything to your satisfaction?

Me: yes, I wish I had a better answer but that's not your fault.
(03) Anthony K: You are welcome.

Its true on the annual accounts, they are locked until the period of time is done.

I sort of understand the reason why they do that. The reason for that is when you pay annually you get a discounted rate. Any changes and you would lose the discount.

Thats one of the drawbacks for locking in for a year unfortunately.

There appear to be two different versions of the same page.

No text at the bottom on this link

Text at the bottom of this link

Nope one is for people who have logged in using that browser before. (The no text at the bottom one) and the other one is shown to folks who have never logged in as customers to the Dish Network website.

So this is why it looks like some browsers are seeing different things. If your browser is seeing the offer at the bottom of the page then you have never logged in as a customer using that browser.

They are playing with cookies there. :)

I'll bet that 99.9% of Dish customers know nothing about the "HD + Platinum" changes. Dish will have to decide if they are going to force the change on everyone or else start advertising it like crazy to try to get everyone to switch.

I just called and had the free Plat HD added successfully. Was Gold HD, now my account shows "HD & Platinum" for the $10. And, the online account was updated within minutes!! :up

dish has definitely upped the customer service performance at least for this month. they took my HD promotion credit off my bill without me having to call to get it taken off. i am in shock

If you have the new IE8 or new FF3.5 you can use private browsing and go to the Dish site and see all the stuff they are hiding from current customers.

As you can see I don't post that often but read Satellite Guys everyday. I waited until today to decide to try and see if I could try to keep from paying the $10.00 extra for the Plat HD that I have been paying for the last few months. I really didn't expect to get anything but I call them anyway. I talked to a nice lady and explained that I thought I was paying to much for my services and I have been a long time subscriber to dish network. She was very understanding and decided they wanted to treat this old timer with some offers. I am getting the Plat HD with gold for the $10.00 that they say is for new customers only and she even threw in $10.00 off for the next 5 months. She then added HBO & Showtime for 3 free months after I asked about it. Seem like for some reason I wasn't able to get it because they had me down for having it before but she decided to give it to me and after 10 minutes they were turned on. I checked the website and I do have the GOLD 250 and Gold HD and Plat HD for only 10.00. All in all I was well pleased with the phone customer service and told her so. So as of today and for the next 5 months I will be saving $20.00 a month and then $10.00 a month. Thanks Satellite Guys and Scott for the good job you are doing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts