Dish pulls National ION Network Channels (They're back)

Willh699

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Campbell, TX
today, Dish removed the national east coast and west coast feeds of Ion Televison from it's lineup. the feeds were on 216 and 217 are now replaced with a slate and the important news-press info listings on the guide. as of today June 4, 2014, the national feeds are gone.

but don't worry about fully losing Ion (that is if you live in a market with a local Ion station), the local Ion stations in all of the markets they are on are still on Dish, in the local channels range. and some of them are in HD now for those who prefer the HD over SD.

but in markets where Ion is not available, then you are out of luck.

the bigger question is, did Dish remove it for "Poor ratings" like they did to Cloo and G4 (in it's final months of life after all the G4 shows were canceled and the original plans of re-branding to Esquire network were changed at last minute) or was it pulled by Ion as they chose to end the national feed for "Budget cuts" or is Dish and Ion in dispute with each other in which the contract expired at midnight last night local time.

by the way, i found out about it in the uplink report. so i posted a thread for those who don't look at uplink reports or really care for Ion East and West coast feeds.

Well, technically G4 and Style were MERGED to become Esquire for wider distribustion. The point is Dish did not pull the channel. The channel went away and became something else. What is left of G4 is essentially a continuous cycle of the same programs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G4_(TV_channel)
In late 2012, G4's studio programming was ceased in preparation for its re-launch as the Esquire Network on September 23, 2013, as part of a licensing deal with Hearst Corporation, owner of Esquire magazine. However, on September 9, 2013, news broke that NBCUniversal will instead replace Style with Esquire Network, leaving G4 "as is for the foreseeable future, though it's highly unlikely the company will invest in more original programming".[1] As of August 2013, approximately 61,217,000 American households (53.61% of households with television) were receiving G4.[2]

You are right about Pivot. It was DOC. That's what I get for trying to post while getting ready for two live shows. I didn't have time to check my memory. You are also right about Cloo. That channel was dropped by Dish and remains in existence.

Sadly both the national ION's were in crappy SD, so I won't be missing them as we do get ION OTA in HD. However, every since Dish completing its Must Carry, they has still continued, and still to this moment, use the NATIONAL ION and map it down to the local sat LIL channel 30, but in hybrid HD like Logo. In order to see the program in proper wide screen, we have to tune to OTA 30 using our Hopper/Joey. Let's hop Dish provides KPXN 30, Los Angeles in the proper format as the rest of the LIL HD's.

Reactions: TheKrell
Would the OP consider changing the misleading title of the thread?

if you were a mod, you could had simply fixed the title of the thread. in that case, since i'm the thread's OP, i suggest a mod or Scott to come edit this page to give a new title to "Dish removes Ion National feeds, local Ion stations are now only place for Ion content".

if you were a mod, you could had simply fixed the title of the thread. in that case, since i'm the thread's OP, i suggest a mod or Scott to come edit this page to give a new title to "Dish removes Ion National feeds, local Ion stations are now only place for Ion content".
Huh? I was being polite and asking you if you would consider changing the title because Dish pulling the channels really is misleading as is some of your post. I was not even asking a mod to do it, and if I was one I would not have done that.

This reminds me of when SPEED changed their format. I remember people posting on here and customer complaining to me about Dish dropping the channel and how upset they were. Calm down, Dish didn't do anything.

Reactions: Tampa8
No ion in our market.Oh well no major loss.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)